Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 16:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 12:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to their market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 even if five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.

A. Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to their market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 even if five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.

B. Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little in comparison with its market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.

C. The fleece of the alpaca is worth surprisingly little compared to its market value, while a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 even though five pounds of fleece fetch only $80 to $240.

D. The fleece of the alpaca is worth surprisingly little compared to the animal's market value; a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece fetch only $80 to $240.

E. The worth of the alpaca's fleece is surprisingly little compared to the animal's market value; a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 even though five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.

Please discuss 'The fleece of the alpaca is worth ' in option D and
'The worth of the alpaca's fleece' in option E.
ps_dahiya: Underlined. Please underline your sentences.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 13:34
Subject verb agreement porblem and concision porblem I would go in this case for D

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 13:54
D

A and B are straight out.
"its" in C may refer to fleece or alpaca.
E has S-V problem: five pounds of fleece fetches

I think both are fine:
1. The fleece of the alpaca is worth ' in option D: Used as adjective
2. 'The worth of the alpaca's fleece' in option E. : Used as noun

vivek, where are you??? :peek

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 14:48
D for me... it compares fleece worth to the animal's market value.

E isn't || and if it was, then it would have a redundancy problem

Consider this altered 1st part of E

The worth of the alpaca's fleece is surprisingly little compared to THAT OF animal's market value;

"THAT OF (=that worth of) animal's market VALUE"... value is the worth, so this would be redundant.

dahiya... is that what you mean by "don't see the difference b/w D and E"?
Director
Director

Re: SC: Fleece [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 16:32
zoom612 wrote:
Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to their market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 even if five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.

A. Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to their market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 even if five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.

B. Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little in comparison with its market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.

C. The fleece of the alpaca is worth surprisingly little compared to its market value, while a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 even though five pounds of fleece fetch only $80 to $240.

D. The fleece of the alpaca is worth surprisingly little compared to the animal's market value; a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece fetch only $80 to $240.

E. The worth of the alpaca's fleece is surprisingly little compared to the animal's market value; a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 even though five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.

I'll go with D.

A:"even if" is incorrect, this is out. should be 'fetch' not 'fetches'
B: unnecessary use of present continuous tense.
C: uses 'its'. what does its refer to? the animal or its fleece?
E: wordy compared to D, 5 pounds fetch, not fetches.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Fleece [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 16:33
zoom612 wrote:

D.

E is wrong since it does the mistake of having a pronoun refer to a possessive noun.
And five pounds .. and "fetches" don't go together.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Fleece [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 16:38
zoom612 wrote:

D. The fleece of the alpaca is worth surprisingly little compared to the animal's market value; a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece (can) fetch only $80 to $240.

E. The worth of the alpaca's fleece is surprisingly little compared to the animal's market value; a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 even though five pounds of fleece (can) fetches only $80 to $240.

can bring ......... (can) fetch sounds more correct
can bring .........(can) fetches is wrong

are they testing parallelism?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 16:57
I would go with E on this one.

THE WORTH of the alpaca's fleece is surprisingly little compared to the ANIMAL'S MARKET VALUE.

the worth || the market value

u2lover, i think

"The worth of the alpaca's fleece is surprisingly little compared to THAT OF animal's market value"

would mean that we are comparing worth with the worth[THAT] of animal's market value. I don't think it makes sense.

Also, numbers that repesent a single unit are singular, for example:

a million dollars is a lot of money to keep under your mattress.

This example is given in Grammar Smart (Princeton Review).

So, it's right to use "fetches" here.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 17:15
I think shoonya's got a point.One for the error log. :wall
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 18:46
:beat I am switching to E... makes more sense indeed... The worth is compared to the market value... period

D is very mind boggling... E seems more simple

thanks shoonya

another reason to eliminate D is to look at 2nd part of the statement:

a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece fetch only $80 to $240.

we use "WHILE" to mean "during" on the GMAT... during certain time period... the way D describes it it seems like the process occurs at the same time, which could/could not be true...

even though is better because the values they are describing are quite different.

comments on the 2nd part?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 18:54
All right, i am not convinced guys.

Everyone agrees to:
5 marbles are in the bag.

How about rice?
5 pounds of rice are/is in the bag?

What is the OA/OE?
I still want to stick to D
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 19:02
mailtheguru wrote:
What is the OA/OE?

how about this... animal market value doesn't WORTH... it is redundant, because WORTH is the VALUE

is it convincing now? :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 19:17
guru, i think we should forget about the quantity and just concentrate on the object. In the question, fleece fetches you the money, it doesn't matter what the weight of the fleece is. If it's something like:

"the five pound of meat and five pound of fleece",

we should use "are"

similarly if you have both five pound of rice and five pound of sugar in the bag, you would say

"there are five pounds of rice and five pounds of sugar in this bag"

By the way, I always look upto ps_dahiya and u2lover to provide the right explanation(s). i am still learning from them.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 20:10
u2lover wrote:
mailtheguru wrote:
What is the OA/OE?

how about this... animal market value doesn't WORTH... it is redundant, because WORTH is the VALUE

is it convincing now? :wink:

:saw :saw :saw

You are right. This one axed me. Great question.
Director
Director

All you need to know about subject-verb agreement [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 00:02
Revision for subject-verb agreement as per "Grammar Smart"

1. Subjects connected by "and" are plural.

E.g. At the station are Futuristic and Unfuturistic.
NOT At the station is Futuristic and Unfuturistic.

2. "and" is the only way to convert 2 or more singular subjects to a single plural subject.

E.g. Futuristic, as well as Unfuturistic, is able to see the future.
NOT Futuristic, as well as Unfuturistic, are able to see the future.

3. Singular subjects connected by either-or/neither-nor stay singular.
E.g. Neither Futuristic nor Unfuturistic is able to see the future.
NOT
Neither Futuristic nor Unfuturistic are able to see the future.

4. If a singular subject is connected to a plural subject using either-or/neither-nor, then the verb should agree with the subject closest to it.

E.g. Neither Futuristic nor his dogs were hungry.
Neither Futuristic's dogs nor he was hungry.

5. "There" is never the subject of a sentence. Its a pointing pronoun, and may point to the subject of the sentence. E.g. There, amidst the smelly cows, lay Futuristic, who did not care two hoots for the GMAT.

6. When "it" is not the subject, its always singular.

It was us who asked u2lovergirl to throw a party for the GMAT crowd.
NOT
It were us who asked u2lovergirl to throw a party for the GMAT crowd.

7. *body, *one, *thing are all singular, where * = { any, some, every}

8. The relative pronouns who, which and what inherit SVA requirement from their noun/antecedent.

9. Collective nouns are always singular, unless expression a diversion among the group. This one is tricky.

E.g. The jury were split in their opinion.
E.g. The jury was unanimous in its decision.

General case:
The army marches every morning at 4am. (Trivia: for GMAT we follow American English. If it were In British english, we'd say "The army march every morning at 4am)

10. Numbers representing a single unit are singular. This applies to the SC being discussed.

Five pounds of meat costs $3.50
NOT
Five pounds of meat cost $3.50
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 00:09
u2lover wrote:
:beat I am switching to E... makes more sense indeed... The worth is compared to the market value... period

D is very mind boggling... E seems more simple

thanks shoonya

another reason to eliminate D is to look at 2nd part of the statement:

a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece fetch only $80 to $240.

we use "WHILE" to mean "during" on the GMAT... during certain time period... the way D describes it it seems like the process occurs at the same time, which could/could not be true...

even though is better because the values they are describing are quite different.

comments on the 2nd part?

I agree, I did notice this after reading shoonya's post. The usage of 'while' does seem to be worse than the use of 'even though'. 'While' may be used comparatively, but it could also be used as a chronological reference, making the sentence ambiguous, if not completely changing its meaning. Good catch
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Fleece [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 03:02
zoom612 wrote:

Shouldn't it be B....

Why are we using compared to here, we are trying to compare the market value of two things (similar).... so shouldn't it be compared with.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 06:14
shoonya wrote:

THE WORTH of the alpaca's fleece is surprisingly little compared to the ANIMAL'S MARKET VALUE.

u2lover, i think

"The worth of the alpaca's fleece is surprisingly little compared to THAT OF animal's market value"

would mean that we are comparing worth with the worth[THAT] of animal's market value. I don't think it makes sense.

You nailed it buddy. :cool :cool

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP

Re: All you need to know about subject-verb agreement [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 06:40
Futuristic wrote:
When "it" is not the subject, its always singular.

It was us who asked u2lovergirl to throw a party for the GMAT crowd.
NOT
It were us who asked u2lovergirl to throw a party for the GMAT crowd.

Hey futuristic, nice to see you adding value to the posts here!!! This is AWESOME!

Just to add to "IT" part... I am sure you know this, but when "IF" is used with IT" it implies a hypothetical situation (Subjuntive mood) and we must use "WERE" which contradits the rule of SVA.

If it were up to u2lovergal, she would have gone to Ireland to meet BONO.

I would love to throw a party for the GMAT crowd once I beat this stupid test :twisted:

shoonya... thanks again for the pointer and the shoutout... I am not as good as you might think :wink: but thanks anyways
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 06:44
ps_dahiya wrote:
shoonya wrote:

u2lover, i think

You nailed it buddy. :cool :cool

Why are we using compared to here, we are trying to compare the market value of two things (similar).... so shouldn't it be compared with.
  [#permalink] 25 Jul 2006, 06:44