Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 2

Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 14:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to their market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 even if five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.

A. Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to their market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 even if five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.
B. Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little in comparison with its market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.
C. The fleece of the alpaca is worth surprisingly little compared to its market value, while a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 even though five pounds of fleece fetch only $80 to $240.
D. The fleece of the alpaca is worth surprisingly little compared to the animal's market value; a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece fetch only $80 to $240.
E. The worth of the alpaca's fleece is surprisingly little compared to the animal's market value; a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 even though five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 17:18
Yep, D for me as well. In all other choices, its not clear what is being compared to what
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 18:02
saravalli wrote:
Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to their market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 even if five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.

A. Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to their market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 even if five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.
B. Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little in comparison with its market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.
C. The fleece of the alpaca is worth surprisingly little compared to its market value, while a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 even though five pounds of fleece fetch only $80 to $240.
D. The fleece of the alpaca is worth surprisingly little compared to the animal's market value; a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece fetch only $80 to $240.
E. The worth of the alpaca's fleece is surprisingly little compared to the animal's market value; a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 even though five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.

saravalli wrote:
Please expln why not E?

Saravalli, let refer to the colored boldface!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 18:29

'The worth' is parallel to 'Value'
The worth of (X) compared to Value. ( Both are parallel)
Also, Five pounds of cake (costs OR cost)?
I am sure it is costs.
Similiarly, Five pounds of fleece fetches (not fetch)

In D, The fleece of (X) compared to Value.( so here 'fleece' is compared to 'Value' which are not parallel).
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 18:40
E makes the right comparison. In D it compares the fleece with the value.
E compares the fleece's worth to the market value of the animal.
Hence E.
SVP
SVP

Premium Member
Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 20:10
saravalli wrote:

I am sure it is costs.

In D, The fleece of (X) compared to Value.( so here 'fleece' is compared to 'Value' which are not parallel).

Saravalli,

1. I really dont know why you think "5 pounds of..." COSTS, otherwise I miss the thing!

2. I dont know whether you find the small difference btw D and E.

a. Main verb of D is "worth", and main verb of E is "compared"
b. In D "supprisingly" modifies "worth", but in E it modifies "compared"

Director
Director

Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 05:03
sondenso wrote:
saravalli wrote:

I am sure it is costs.

Saravalli,

1. I really dont know why you think "5 pounds of..." COSTS, otherwise I miss the thing!

Five pounds of cake costs is right. (it does'nt matter if it is one pound or 10 pounds..)
Five pounds of choclates cost NOT costs..(..do you see the difference ?)
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 05:56
I change my mind - its gotta be E.

Five pounds of fleece costs <-- fleece is the object that five pounds refers to hence it needs to be singular
If it were :
Ten kilos of gummy bears cost <-- here ten kilos is plural since gummy bears is plural
SVP
SVP

Premium Member
Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 19:21
saravalli wrote:
sondenso wrote:
saravalli wrote:

I am sure it is costs.

Saravalli,

Five pounds of cake costs is right. (it does'nt matter if it is one pound or 10 pounds..)
Five pounds of choclates cost NOT costs..(..do you see the difference ?)

Ok, I follow your rule! Add it to my error log!

[SANAM, percent, pounds] + [singular]Noun = singular Verb
[SANAM, percent, pounds] + [plural]Noun = plural Verb

Thanks!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 20:03
What's the OA? Originally, I chose D but after reading the explanations for E. I don't know what to think.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 321 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 20:09
This post received
KUDOS
lucyqin wrote:
What's the OA? Originally, I chose D but after reading the explanations for E. I don't know what to think.

Alo! saravalli, can you hear me? what is OA?

Director
Director

Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 05:39
sorry ..OA is E. Thanks for the great discussion.
+1 to sondenso. :-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2008, 21:28
Can someone point out all the errors in A, B and C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2008, 22:27
A. Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little compared to their market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 even if five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.---- subject verb aqgreement error fleece is singulsr aswell as plural with their
B. Alpacas' fleece is worth surprisingly little in comparison with its market value; a top breeding specimen bringing upwards of $100,000 while five pounds of fleece fetches only $80 to $240.------compared to is better for such comparison
C. The fleece of the alpaca is worth surprisingly little compared to its market value, while a top breeding specimen can bring upwards of $100,000 even though five pounds of fleece fetch only $80 to $240.---------usage of while and even though creates an ambiguity one would hv been sufficient
betn d nd e
i hwever prefer d
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - fleece [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2008, 08:21
Thank you so much for the explaination. Just want to make sure i'm on the right track.
Re: SC - fleece   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2008, 08:21