Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618777 [51]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618777 [15]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618777 [10]
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618777 [6]
Send PM
Re: ALPHAMETIC QUESTIONS ON THE GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Is this GMAT Question an Alphametic or Simple Number Properties Question?

BY KARISHMA, VERITAS PREP

As noticed in the first post of Alphametics, a data sufficiency alphametic is far more complicated than a problem solving alphametic. An alphametic can have multiple solutions and establishing that it does not, is time consuming. Hence, it is less likely that you will see a DS alphametic in the actual exam.

In fact, what may look like an alphametic problem, might actually be a number properties problem only.

We will look at an example below:

Question:

In the correctly-worked multiplication problem above, each symbol represents a different nonzero digit. What is the value of C?

Statement 1: D is prime.
Statement 2: B is not prime.

Solution: We multiply two two-digit integers and get 1995. The good thing is that we know the result of the multiplication will be 1995. Usually, multiplication alphametics are harder since they involve multiple levels, but here the multiplication is actually a blessing. There are many many ways in which you can ADD two integers to give 1995 but there are only a few ways in which you can multiply two integers to give you 1995.

Let’s prime factorize 1995:

1995 = 3*5*7*19

We can probably count on our fingers the number of ways in which we can select AB and CD.

19 needs to be multiplied with one other factor to give us a two digit number since 5*3*7 = 105 (a three digit number) so AB and CD cannot be 19 and 105.

19*3 = 57, 5*7 = 35 – This is not possible since two of the four digits are same here – 5.

19*5 = 95, 3*7 = 21 – This is one option for AB and CD.

19*7 = 133 – Three digit number not possible.

Hence AB and CD can only take values out of 21 and 95.

As of now, C can be 2 or 9. We need to find whether the given statements give us a unique value of C.

Statement 1: D is prime

D is the units digit of CD. So D can be 1 or 5.

1 is not prime so CD cannot be 21. Hence, CD must be 95 and AB must be 21.

Hence, C must be 9.

This statement alone is sufficient.

Statement 2: B is not prime

If B is not prime then AB cannot be 95. Hence AB must be 21.

This means CD will be 95 and C will be 9.

This statement alone is sufficient.

Answer (D) This question is discussed HERE.

Note that the entire question was just about number properties – prime factors, prime numbers etc. Actually it required no iterative steps and no hit and trial. Rest assured that if it is a GMAT question, it will be reasoning based and will not require painful calculations.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts