Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Already have an MBA. Do I stand a chance at top bschools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Already have an MBA. Do I stand a chance at top bschools? [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 11:36
This might seem like a weird situation, but im at my wits end trying to get a definitive answer to this one. I already have an MBA degree, one that i earned jointly in a 5 year Joint engineering+ MBA program. I am not quite satisfied with the MBA part of it as it was a new one and was not very rigorous at the time i opted for it, and the University has now discontinued the course. I would like to know if I have a chance at any of the top BSchools, given this drawback.

Thanks
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Already have an MBA. Do I stand a chance at top bschools? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 14:34
Expert's post
ferret wrote:
This might seem like a weird situation, but im at my wits end trying to get a definitive answer to this one. I already have an MBA degree, one that i earned jointly in a 5 year Joint engineering+ MBA program. I am not quite satisfied with the MBA part of it as it was a new one and was not very rigorous at the time i opted for it, and the University has now discontinued the course. I would like to know if I have a chance at any of the top BSchools, given this drawback.

Thanks

Yes. We have had clients get a second MBA. It is not easy, but it is possible. You have to have a really good reason for wanting that second degree. What do you want to do that you can't do now that you will be able to do after you earn this MBA?

Also, check with each school you are considering to ensure that they will consider your application. Most well, but a few will not, and that list changes.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Already have an MBA. Do I stand a chance at top bschools? [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2013, 12:11
Thanks for replying Linda! Really appreciate it!

I do have a strong reason for wanting the second degree. They are as follows:

First, I had no real work experience when I did the first MBA( jointly with a bachelors in Computer Science), hence my grasp of the real world theories was limited, which in turn limited my understanding of the business constructs. Now after two years in the industry and having been part of real business planning teams in a technology multinational, I feel I have a strong foundation of hand-on industry exposure and skills that i have gained which another MBA can greatly accentuate and propel me further in my career.

Second,my first MBA was a joint MBA hence not very rigorous, and anyways, the joint MBA program has been dis-countinued by the university now, probably because they too doubted upon its effectiveness.

Are these good enough reasons for top bschools to overlook the existing degree?

PS: I do have decent extra-curriculars and a fair GPA (7.9/10 in CS, 8.2/10 in MBA), and i'm aiming for a steller GMAT score.

Thanks!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 339 [1] , given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Already have an MBA. Do I stand a chance at top bschools? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 17:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ferret wrote:
Thanks for replying Linda! Really appreciate it!

I do have a strong reason for wanting the second degree. They are as follows:

First, I had no real work experience when I did the first MBA( jointly with a bachelors in Computer Science), hence my grasp of the real world theories was limited, which in turn limited my understanding of the business constructs. Now after two years in the industry and having been part of real business planning teams in a technology multinational, I feel I have a strong foundation of hand-on industry exposure and skills that i have gained which another MBA can greatly accentuate and propel me further in my career.

Second,my first MBA was a joint MBA hence not very rigorous, and anyways, the joint MBA program has been dis-countinued by the university now, probably because they too doubted upon its effectiveness.

Are these good enough reasons for top bschools to overlook the existing degree?

PS: I do have decent extra-curriculars and a fair GPA (7.9/10 in CS, 8.2/10 in MBA), and i'm aiming for a steller GMAT score.

Thanks!

Ferret,

Sorry, but I don't think your two reasons address my question. The fist one explains why you shouldn't have gotten the MBA after college, but doesn't say what you want to do with it now that you can't do without a second MBA. the goal is very vague.

The second also fails to address my point entirely. It just says the program wasn't very good. And the fact that it was discontinued attest to a certain lack of value, but still doesn't say what you want to do that you can't.

Now you may have those reasons and you don't need to post them here, but the answers above I personally don't find compelling.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

Re: Already have an MBA. Do I stand a chance at top bschools? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 21:39
Thanks Linda! I got the point. I would need to think through and carefully articulate my reasons for the second MBA.
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Already have an MBA. Do I stand a chance at top bschools? [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 21:38
Expert's post
ferret wrote:
Thanks Linda! I got the point. I would need to think through and carefully articulate my reasons for the second MBA.

you got it! And you're welcome. Please let me know if you would like help with that.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553