Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 19:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Already Have CPA. What Grad Program Should I do to Diversify

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.76
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Already Have CPA. What Grad Program Should I do to Diversify [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 17:04
I am about to finish my undergraduate degree at Northern Illinois University (NIU) in accounting. Because I started my academic career in Civil Engineering, I am able to take a few classes this summer and sit for the CPA exam in the summer right after my undergraduate degree.

NIU has a decent accounting program but the rest of the school isn't that great and it is not very highly ranked. Since I can already get my CPA, it doesn't make any sense to do a masters in accounting at NIU. Therefore, I'm thinking about either trying to get into a prestigious masters in accounting program (i.e. U of I, or Texas-Austin) or getting a masters degree in something else to diversify myself (maybe MIS?).

Here's my stats and accomplishments:
- probably graduate with a 3.85-3.9 GPA
- VP of Beta Alpha Psi (accounting honors org.)
- 2nd place in a "ethics case competition" (involved public speaking in front of corporate panel)
- Will be doing the Deloitte Tax challenge next semester (will try very hard to do well)
- Will be interning with a midsize public accounting firm during busy season before graduation
- Will continue to do as many competitions as possible

First, What do you think my chances would be of getting in to U of I or UT Austin MAcc. Second, what alternative masters degree could I do with this kind of a background that could diverse myself and that I could potentially get into at a more prestigious school? I have done calculus 1-3 from engineering and also 2 physics courses and a chemistry course. I don't know if that will make a difference.

I will really appreciate your opinion on this! it's been boggling my mind for some time now. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Already Have CPA. What Grad Program Should I do to Diversify [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 05:56
why get your MACC if you've already got your CPA? i don't see the point of that personally...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.76

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Already Have CPA. What Grad Program Should I do to Diversify [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 06:17
So do you think I should get masters in something else to increase the prestige of the school on my résumé? It would help for MBA programs down the line.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Already Have CPA. What Grad Program Should I do to Diversify [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 06:21
IMO (remember free advice is worth what you paid for it) you should graduate and get the best job you can (big 4 maybe?) and work for a few years before going back to get an MBA (if you truly want a graduate degree).

A MACC won't really help you at all. if you had to go back and get a masters, why not do a MFin degree? you obviously are good quantitatively or you wouldn't have started as an engineer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Already Have CPA. What Grad Program Should I do to Diversify [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 23:05
ah a fellow NIU student. if you can sit for the CPA, why even bother with the LMAS program, even though the program is great, everyone i know will be working and as you know 3 of the big 4 recruit on campus with the 4th coming back next year. also, the cpa is not a cakewalk, there are many people who graduated within the last year who have failed 1 or two sections and are at big 4 firms.

any grad program you are applying to will require you to write a personal statement, specifically for NIU it was something along the lines of "what is your long term goal and how can NIU get you there?"..it makes me wonder why you are thinking about an MBA and some other masters program.

and your right, your science classes really don't mean anything. engineering, science, accounting and now something else...it just shows someone with no direction.
Re: Already Have CPA. What Grad Program Should I do to Diversify   [#permalink] 14 May 2013, 23:05