Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 16:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alternate Transcript useful?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Alternate Transcript useful? [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 14:13
Hi Gmatclub,

I'm thinking about taking one or two community college courses to provide an alternate transcript. Why? I was a history major for undergrad and so I never took a quant./math course. I was thinking about taking Calculus and Stats to show the adcom team that I have the mind to take on complex mathematics. Any thoughts?

What if I took precalculus? Do you think the level of math particularly matters?
Thanks everyone.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alternate Transcript useful? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 12:36
Yes it will be very useful if you have not taken a statistics or calculus course before. Pre-calculus will not add much value in my opinion.

Also a Financial Accounting or Micro Economics course helps.

MIT Sloan in their app specifically asks for your grades in Calculus and Micro Economics if you have completed them.

If you do not end up taking these classes, a lot of top programs will conditionally accept you with a requirement that you complete courses like calculus, statistics or micro economics before starting the program.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Alternate Transcript useful? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 19:18
That seems like an awful lot of work for something that may only help at the margins in the admissions process. I would focus your time and energy on getting a high Q score if you haven't taken the GMAT yet.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alternate Transcript useful? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 06:28
Expert's post
A few quant courses would definitely help. Not only for application purposes but also for your knowledge. Cause a lot of folks will have been working with this math. Good idea!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 65

Re: Alternate Transcript useful? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 07:02
pchun008 wrote:
Hi Gmatclub,

I'm thinking about taking one or two community college courses to provide an alternate transcript. Why? I was a history major for undergrad and so I never took a quant./math course. I was thinking about taking Calculus and Stats to show the adcom team that I have the mind to take on complex mathematics. Any thoughts?

What if I took precalculus? Do you think the level of math particularly matters?
Thanks everyone.

GMAT Q score is probably more important, but I think you're plan is a solid one.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alternate Transcript useful? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 07:22
This post received
KUDOS
IntergalacticSpace wrote:
That seems like an awful lot of work for something that may only help at the margins in the admissions process. I would focus your time and energy on getting a high Q score if you haven't taken the GMAT yet.

In my opinion if your UGrad GPA is low or if you have not taken many quant classes it will make up more than a marginal difference. GMAT quant score is no substitute for having taken calculus (of coarse getting a strong GMAT score is overall much more important but will not serve as a proxy for your knowledge in calculus). It also gives you something to write about in optional essays to show you are serious about attending bschool.

Admissions to a top program is very competitive and help in the margins might just make the difference, if you have the time why not? You are about to spend 2 years and with significant opportunity cost on this journey might as well do all you can to improve your odds to attend one of your dream schools.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

Re: Alternate Transcript useful? [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 08:30
Expert's post
Hey pchun008,

I won't rehash what everyone else said - taking those courses is a good idea. However, I'll answer your second question. The type of classes you take will make a difference for two reasons. For one, calc is harder than precalc and if you're trying to demonstrate your quant chops, you need to take classes that'll put you through the ringer. Other applicants will have taken calc and calc 2 and differential equations, etc. Most will have taken pre-calc in high school. So yes, you'll need to take harder courses.

As for the types of classes, you have 2 great ones there. Stats is used in almost every single MBA class and you'll need to know the basics before you take MBA level stats / regression. Also, calc is used across numerous fields including econ and finance. Knowing how to calculate differentials and what they mean will be a huge help!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Alternate Transcript useful? [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 23:52
Great, thanks to you all for giving your input. I'll most likely look into finding a calc. and stats course to help bolster my application.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Alternate Transcript useful? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 04:20
A decent idea though, I will encourage you to get in touch with your target schools as well. Ask what universities/colleges you can do those courses from. I mean, think about it: The legitimacy of that course will also depend on the institution offering those.

Moreover, it is your time to get a 51 in Quant on the GMAT Exam. I have worked with many Non-engineers who had a 50-51 in maths, and we always liked creating stories that projected that as a strength. That also assures a school of your ability to perform in crazy quant driven curriculum. Scoring a 46 on quant, and throwing an alternate transcript may not be the best idea. And remember: Getting a 51 on Quant isn't as difficult as it may sound.

Once again, do get in touch with the admissions committee members. Not everyone will respond to you, but even if you start with the colleges that are not on your priority list, they are very likely to give the same responses as your preferred ones.

Good luck to you !

PythaGURUS Education

TOP MBA Admissions Consulting and GMAT Preparation
Our MBA Admissions Consulting Services
Want to assess your candidature? Fill in a Free Applicant Review Form
Our Success Stories
Facebook Twitter LinkedIN Google+

Re: Alternate Transcript useful?   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2014, 04:20