Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alternative to conventional admissions consultants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Alternative to conventional admissions consultants [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 00:40
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

I have been browsing a few sites that are non-conventional admissions consulting sites that I am finding quite interesting.

The first one is http://www.mbavolunteers.org/. Basically, all proceeds go to charity.

The second one is http://www.evisors.com/. They consult for admissions and professional recruitment at top investment banks and management consulting firms.

The third one is http://mbaexchange.weebly.com/. This looks like a platform that links current MBA students to MBA applicants for general questions and application help. It looks like they just started this concept.

What do you guys think?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Alternative to conventional admissions consultants [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 15:08
Hi there,

Thanks for posting those. I feel like those are resources that I havent seen anywhere else... and I have been researching a lot. The first one is quite cool in terms of me not feeling I got totally ripped off. The second one seems like it is more career oriented. The third one is actually quite cool... but it looks like something that just started because most of the available candidates are from one school in Europe, granted it is a top school there. I hope that it picks up so that they have more people from my target schools in the states (NYU, Columbia, Stanford).
Tuck Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: Alternative to conventional admissions consultants [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 23:33
These are all very interesting alternatives.

Can't make a complete assessment on the third one since they don't publish their rates.

The first one seems to offer good value given that the quoted cost is for 'review' which I assume is for profile+all essays of one school instead of just one essay - You might want to clarify the scope with them. The only limitation I see is that you're limited to the number of advisors/consultants listed on their website, and that there is no phone call involved.

The second one seems to be a marketplace platform that caters for those seeking 1) admission and 2) career advice. And theoretically you have lots of options provided they manage to sign up more advisors/consultants.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8408 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Alternative to conventional admissions consultants [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 13:07
Expert's post
Also, these two just popped up:

free-peer-essay-review-initiative-150854.html
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Alternative to conventional admissions consultants [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
I've mentioned it on a previous post or two but in my opinion current students are the best 'admissions consultants' from a quality and price perspective. Current students see behind the curtains of their respective institutions in ways that admissions consultants can't - students simply live and breath the school for 2 years. Additionally if you offer a current student a fraction of what you'd pay for a pro consultant my guess is they'd be happy to do it (I know I am). If anyone is looking to connect with HBS students in a particular industry, from a specific region, or possessing certain skills I can try to facilitate
Re: Alternative to conventional admissions consultants   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2013, 21:05