Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alternative transcript to counter no-name undergrad?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Alternative transcript to counter no-name undergrad? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 23:24
Hi All,

I'm currently on the fence about starting an alternative transcript. My gpa (3.48) falls around most top schools averages, however, I'm considering starting the alternative transcript to make up for a no-name liberal arts undergrad. From what I have been reading, all else equal, an average gpa at a no-name undergrad puts me at a disadvantage.

Any advice regarding this issue? Would it just be a waste of my time?

Thanks,
HImba88
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 8

Re: Alternative transcript to counter no-name undergrad? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 23:05
HImba88 wrote:
Hi All,

I'm currently on the fence about starting an alternative transcript. My gpa (3.48) falls around most top schools averages, however, I'm considering starting the alternative transcript to make up for a no-name liberal arts undergrad. From what I have been reading, all else equal, an average gpa at a no-name undergrad puts me at a disadvantage.

Thanks,
HImba88

Hi,

Surprisingly some top b-schools like Wharton, Berkeley Haas, and Stanford attract a huge amount of people from liberal arts- more than 40% of the class composition. So if you are fretting your humanities background, fear not!

If you think strongly that an alternate script will help you, then go ahead and take some quant focused courses. I don't believe they will be useless for you in the long run.

Namita
www.mbadecoder.com

Namita Garg
http://www.mbadecoder.com
contact@mbadecoder.com

Manager
Manager

Re: Alternative transcript to counter no-name undergrad? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 22:09
MBAHelp wrote:
HImba88 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks,
HImba88

Hi,

Surprisingly some top b-schools like Wharton, Berkeley Haas, and Stanford attract a huge amount of people from liberal arts- more than 40% of the class composition. So if you are fretting your humanities background, fear not!

If you think strongly that an alternate script will help you, then go ahead and take some quant focused courses. I don't believe they will be useless for you in the long run.

Namita
http://www.mbadecoder.com

Thanks Namita. Oddly enough, I took a lot of quant courses in undergrad and basically only took the minimum required humanities courses. In fact, it's those humanities classes that are dragging my GPA down!

My main concern was whether or not an alternative transcript (and accordingly a slight increase in cumulative GPA) help make up for attending a no-name undergrad. From what I have been reading, coming from an unknown undergrad typically requires a higher than average GPA in order to be competitive. I understand what you are saying in that it can't hurt, but I'm just curious if my time would be better served working on other things.
Manager
Manager

Re: Alternative transcript to counter no-name undergrad? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 22:22
Sorry to bump this thread in the middle of the application craziness. I was wondering if there is a minimum level of classes for alternative transcript building. I'm looking at night classes to take after work. Unfortunately, the only business classes available are the basics which I've already taken in undergrad (i.e. basic accounting, finance, etc.).

I was looking into math classes, but the only classes available are low level math classes (i.e. Algebra I). I took calculus in undergrad, so would taking Algebra I seem like I am chasing an A (don't get me wrong, I am, just trying to be a little more subtle about it). I've read previous posts about the level of alternative transcript classes "not mattering" but I'm just curious if there is a minimum level before it starts looking ridiculous.

Thanks,
HImba88
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alternative transcript to counter no-name undergrad? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 06:03
I am a big fan of candidates developing an alternative transcript, if needed. In your case, a 3.48 GPA in a difficult major from a non-name brand school may still make you competitive at some top programs. For instance, Wharton accepts a relatively large number of students from small Pennsylvania colleges. I know that a few other top programs including Booth, Ross, Fuqua and Anderson do the same. If your goal is HBS, Stanford or Columbia, these programs are very Ivy and Ivy equivalent focused.

Before you invest the time and money in developing an alternative transcript, I would recommend that you seek counsel from an experienced admissions expert. They will be able to advise you on whether this endeavor is necessary or if there are better ways to spend your time and money. Your assessment of your own candidacy may not be correct and there might be better ways to enhance your candidacy.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Manager
Manager

Re: Alternative transcript to counter no-name undergrad? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 13:15
Thanks Kimberly. Could you assist me in evaluating my candidacy if I pm you my info?

Your above statements got me thinking about whether I'm wasting my time and money shooting for schools already out of my reach to begin with.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Alternative transcript to counter no-name undergrad?   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2012, 13:15