Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm looking to go to NYU (part time or full), Columbia, Yale, or Duke. My situation is simillar to dukes as a few bad math/quant econ courses caused the 3.0.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Outside of Columbia, I don't think your GPA will be a big strike against you provided you score well on the GMAT to put to rest any doubts as to your academic potential.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Actually, Columbia is probably least GPA conscious of the top schools, so a 3.0 there is probably OK - provided you do well on the GMAT. With a 3.0 from a top 20 school as a math major, your GPA is probably OK as it is. Score solidly into the 700s on the GMAT and they won't give your GPA another thought.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Actually, Columbia is probably least GPA conscious of the top schools, so a 3.0 there is probably OK - provided you do well on the GMAT. With a 3.0 from a top 20 school as a math major, your GPA is probably OK as it is. Score solidly into the 700s on the GMAT and they won't give your GPA another thought.

Pelihu - I meant of the schools that he/she is targetting (NYU, Columbia, Yale, and Duke), Columbia would probably be most concerned about GPA. I'm basing this on anecdotal evidence (personal and otherwise) that these other three schools admit people with low GPA's if they have good GMATs. I agree that other M7 schools would be very concerned with his/her GPA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:

I read your post on another thread that you took a few courses online from UCLA... what was the specific feedback you received from ad coms concerning this. I wouldn't be a problem for me to do that between now and application time this fall. Also in my case, I graduated in '04, so it hasn't been that long since my undergrad experience.

My work experience is what's really going to drive my application as it is unique. Most likely I'll max out at around 700 on the GMAT.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Johnny, I agree.

Baer, I didn't receive any specific feedback about taking courses, I just gathered information on my own. Your situation is different than mine though. Your GPA is within the middle 80% range for your target schools, while mine was below. Also, I went to a good and very competitive undergrad (UCLA), but I was an English major which isn't known for being particularly difficult (it was known for good looking girls though :) ). Finally, I hadn't taken a math course since high school and I knew schools would be concerned about my ability to handle the work.

I do recall one thing that Linda the adcom from Columbia said in an online chat. She said that a single course didn't simulate the intensity of a business school load, so that might not help that much; that's why I took 4 all at once while still running my business. If you're going to apply to Columbia, I highly recommend applying in the early round.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]