Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2010, 15:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

93% (01:58) correct 7% (01:24) wrong based on 8 sessions
Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks are Muslims, the republic founded by Mustafa Kemal
Ataturk in 1923 is resolutely secular.
a...
b. Although about 99 percent of over 50 million of the
c. Although about 99 percent of more than 50 million
d. Despite the fact that about 99 percent of more than 50 million
e. Despite the fact that about 99 percent of over 50 million

Try with explanation for all options . Very good one.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Conceptual (about 99 percent of the more than 50 million ) [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 01:07
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks are Muslims, the republic founded by Mustafa Kemal
a...

B Although about 99 percent of over 50 million of the

so B looks correct
Although is preferable to Despite so d and e are out. over sounds better then "more then" as more then seems to be changing the meaning.

What is OA?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 5

Re: Conceptual (about 99 percent of the more than 50 million ) [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 01:59
This post received
KUDOS
I think "A" is the correct answer.
All other answer choices trying to distort the meaning of the original sentence.

Original sentence tells that "about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks ".

The use of the indicates the sentence is talking about all the turks in the world.

But all the answer choices ignores "the" . So I guess "A" is the correct one.

+1 kudos me if this is of any help...

Manager
Manager

Re: Conceptual (about 99 percent of the more than 50 million ) [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 06:45
iPinnacle wrote:
I think "A" is the correct answer.
All other answer choices trying to distort the meaning of the original sentence.

Original sentence tells that "about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks ".

The use of the indicates the sentence is talking about all the turks in the world.

But all the answer choices ignores "the" . So I guess "A" is the correct one.

Option B uses "the " .. Although about 99 percent of over 50 million of the

So answer is between A and B.

We should focus here on two things:

1. Usage and impact of "The"
2. usage and impact of "over " v/s "more than"

This will lead to very important basics needed for SC.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 22

Re: Conceptual (about 99 percent of the more than 50 million ) [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 08:34
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
a...

Option B is distorting the meaning in my opinion. "99 percent of over 50 million | of the turks...." so, the first 50 milllion are left out and 99 percent of anything beyond the first 50 million is being counted, which is wrong.

That said, I'll go with option A. What's the OA?

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Re: Conceptual (about 99 percent of the more than 50 million ) [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 11:50
I go with C

imo 99 percent of more than.... is wrong idiomatic usage
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 7

Re: Conceptual (about 99 percent of the more than 50 million ) [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 03:58
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
a...

Between C and A.C changes the meaning of original sentence.

also 99% of the more than 50 million means no more than 50 say 90 million
and 99% of more than 50 million means 99% of 40(90-50) million if total is 90.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Conceptual (about 99 percent of the more than 50 million ) [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 14:33
Expert's post
I think option A is best here. For B and C, it would be more concise to just write "over 49.5 million Turks . . ." because in those two sentences, the number, not the percentage, has been emphasized (I think). They also do not appear to be grammatically correct.

For C and D, if memory serves me, the phrase "despite the fact that . . ." is incorrect.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: Conceptual (about 99 percent of the more than 50 million ) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 00:00
bmillan01 wrote:
I think option A is best here. For B and C, it would be more concise to just write "over 49.5 million Turks . . ." because in those two sentences, the number, not the percentage, has been emphasized (I think). They also do not appear to be grammatically correct.

For C and D, if memory serves me, the phrase "despite the fact that . . ." is incorrect.

I wonder why not E, which is perfectly all- right and in my opinion, best answer choice here.
"despite the fact that" is not wrong at all and can very well be used to replace 'although'
I'll go with E.
what is the OA?

No Execuse..

Manager
Manager

Re: Conceptual (about 99 percent of the more than 50 million ) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 05:19
rathoreaditya81 wrote:
bmillan01 wrote:

Quote:
I wonder why not E, which is perfectly all- right and in my opinion, best answer choice here.
"despite the fact that" is not wrong at all and can very well be used to replace 'although'
I'll go with E.
what is the OA?

@bmillan01 - > Could you explain why B and C are incorrect in detail please. i do not understand that part

I agree with you that E is perfectly correct as well , i did send this question to two native speakers and they chose E. The correct answer is A though.

I would love to understand why B and C are incorrect. help..
Intern
Intern
Schools: McMaster

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Conceptual (about 99 percent of the more than 50 million ) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 06:47
I'll go with A.

"The more than 50 million Turks" are referred in particular in the sentence.
B - If change it to "the over 50 millions", then it should be right.
C - changed the meaning of the sentence. Shoulde be "the more than 50 million"
D - Wordy. IMO "Despite 99 percent of the more than 50 million"
E - Wordy. IMO "Desipte 99 percent of the over 50 million"

What's the OA?

GMATMadeeasy wrote:
a...

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Conceptual (about 99 percent of the more than 50 million ) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 21:20
Expert's post
GMATMadeeasy, sorry if my thoughts didn't make sense the first time around. My reasons are more of a gut feeling than anything else.

It just seems that for C, we are given an actual number. The phrase "99 percent of more than 50 million" tells me that there are over 50 million Turks, and that 99 percent are Muslim. So, that means at least 49.5 million (.99x50 million) are Muslim, right? It seems C changes the original meaning.

I have the same reservations about B, which is similar to C. I think Jasonlu1981 has the right idea. For GMAT purposes, most might find the phrase in D and E too wordy. "Despite the fact that" can be switched for the more concise "although."

I hope this made sense! If you have anything to add or correct, feel free to do so.

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Conceptual (about 99 percent of the more than 50 million ) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 22:14
Awesome question, I thought. After contemplating for about 40 seconds, I chose A as my answer. Here's my reasoning:

Mainly, without the word "the" after 99 percent of ______ creates an illogical mathematical equation (my own personal opinion). How does one write "99 percent of more than 50 million" in terms of a math equation? How does that even make sense? With the word "the" as indicated in answer choice (A), it logically combined a noun phrase, which in this case is "the more than 50 million..." with a percentage, which is 99 percent. This to me made more sense. After this thought sank in, I got rid of B and C.

Then, knowing how much wordiness is illegit on the GMAT, I still kept an open mind while looking at D and E. I don't automatically think choices D and E are wrong, simply because the answer choices stated "Despite the fact that", though I know that this phrase is frowned upon when there's another choice that switches from using that phrase to the word "although". Even then, I looked at D and E and both answers still did not maintain the word "the" to make the noun phrase. Because of that very reason, in conjunction with the wordiness, I got rid of D and E, and left myself with answer choice (A). As much as I don't like A still, I can't find no solid reason to get rid of it.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
a...

Difficult to explain, but let me take a shot. This is pretty similar to the one of OG questions "In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of ...". Have a look into this link:
in-1791-robert-carter-iii-one-of-the-wealthiest-plantation-138325.html

Basic concept: the before a category is either referring to abstract class or complete/total members of that class.

From abstract perspective: "Use of coffee is bad" is wrong though "The use of coffee is bad" is correct.
From completeness perspective: "A Cat is good" mean that one particular cat is good though the "The Cat is good" mean that cat as a complete category in toto is good.

In B, construction of first sub-clause is like: About 99 % of over 50 million of the Turks are Muslims.
As per our completeness/totality perspective, placement of the before Turks will mean that author is referring to the complete/total worldwide population of Turks and not just the Turks in Ataturk.

Now let us take a closer look at A and C..
In A, construction of first sub-clause is like: About 99% of the X are Muslims.
In C, construction of first sub-clause is like: About 99% of X are Muslims.

The only difference between A and C is around the. The author want to consider the complete population here while giving his argument, so A makes more sense. If you don't place the, it will not consider that the noun here represent complete population.
If you still have problems in visualizing why C is wrong, have a look into C on this link. For first question(In 1791....), C is wrong and for second question, (As a result of the ground-breaking work), D is wrong. Both of them are wrong because of the very reason that absence of the makes the quantity of class non-complete or less than total.

over is considered good only with spatial references[The cup is over the table], so E and B are down.
The presence of 'Despite the fact that' made me frown on D and E. I would have preferred "Despite that" rather than "Despite the fact that" in a GMAT question. I am yet to see a GMAT question correct with this usage. I think it was the presence of word fact which made me worrisome with D and E as presence of fact is generally redundant in GMAT questions, unless word fact is explicitly needed to support the meaning of the sentence.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 401

Re: Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 11:23
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
a...

Hi,

First: GMAT does not like "despite the fact that". So you can kick out quite easily D and E.

Now look at A B C. " Although about 99 percent of X"

X needs to be a noun. You need to have "Although 5% of the students are drunk, ...."

a. Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million - Correct answer for me
b. Although about 99 percent of over 50 million of the - Wrong because over change the meaning
c. Although about 99 percent of more than 50 million - Wrong because you need to have a noun after of
d. Despite the fact that about 99 percent of more than 50 million - Wrong Despite the fact is wordy
e. Despite the fact that about 99 percent of over 50 million - Wrong Despite the fact is wordy

Hence, answer A for me.

Hope it helps!

Think outside the box

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 11:17
Agree with 'A'
A) THE more than 50million turks - let's call them x.They are Muslims.
B) There could be ten billion turks. 99% of over 50million of them are Muslims.
C) Reason similar as B.
D) & E) Lengthy and meaning different as B and C
Re: Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2013, 11:17