Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 93 [1] , given: 2

Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 14:24
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

88% (01:47) correct 12% (00:28) wrong based on 5 sessions
10. Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks are Muslims, the republic founded by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk in 1923 is resolutely secular.

a) Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million
b) Although about 99 percent of over 50 million of the
c) Although about 99 percent of more than 50 million
d) Despite the fact that about 99 percent of more than 50 million
e) Despite the fact that about 99 percent of over 50 million

[Reveal] Spoiler:
a

please explain the answer with detailed explanation
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

Re: Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 14:44
I don't see anything wrong with A.

Although must be used, because it is a conjunction, so I eliminated D and E. B and E simply don't sound right. I think we need a "the" in there, but I don't have a rule to point at. Maybe someone else can explain it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 02:35
TomB wrote:
10. Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks are Muslims, the republic founded by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk in 1923 is resolutely secular.

a) Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million
b) Although about 99 percent of over 50 million of the
c) Although about 99 percent of more than 50 million
d) Despite the fact that about 99 percent of more than 50 million
e) Despite the fact that about 99 percent of over 50 million

[Reveal] Spoiler:
a

please explain the answer with detailed explanation

A is right :Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million
A would have been wrong IF :Although about 99 percent of more than 50 million
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 6

Re: Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 06:21
can someone provide a more detailed explanation of why (A) is correct?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 6

Re: Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 06:51
i found the following description wehn googled

IMO, C can definitely not be the answer.

Try replacing "more than 50 million Turks" by "people" -

Although about 99% of people are Muslims..., this seems awkward.

Try putting "the" now...

Although about 99% of the people are Muslims....., which sounds better.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
seekmba wrote:
can someone provide a more detailed explanation of why (A) is correct?
Difficult to explain, but let me take a shot. This is pretty similar to the one of OG questions "In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of ...". Have a look into this link:
in-1791-robert-carter-iii-one-of-the-wealthiest-plantation-138325.html

Basic concept: the before a category is either referring to abstract class or complete/total members of that class.

From abstract perspective: "Use of coffee is bad" is wrong though "The use of coffee is bad" is correct.
From completeness perspective: "A Cat is good" mean that one particular cat is good though the "The Cat is good" mean that cat as a complete category in toto is good.

In B, construction of first sub-clause is like: About 99 % of over 50 million of the Turks are Muslims.
As per our completeness/totality perspective, placement of the before Turks will mean that author is referring to the complete/total worldwide population of Turks and not just the Turks in the republic.

Now let us take a closer look at A and C..
In A, construction of first sub-clause is like: About 99% of the X are Muslims.
In C, construction of first sub-clause is like: About 99% of X are Muslims.

The only difference between A and C is around the. The author want to consider the complete population here while giving his argument, so A makes more sense. If you don't place the, it will not consider that the noun here represent complete population.
If you still have problems in visualizing why C is wrong, have a look into C on this link. For first question(In 1791....), C is wrong and for second question, (As a result of the ground-breaking work), D is wrong. Both of them are wrong because of the very reason that absence of the makes the quantity of class non-complete or less than total.

over is considered good only with spatial references[The cup is over the table], so E and B are down.
The presence of 'Despite the fact that' made me frown on D and E. I would have preferred "Despite that" rather than "Despite the fact that" in a GMAT question. I am yet to see a GMAT question correct with this usage. I think it was the presence of word fact which made me worrisome with D and E as presence of fact is generally redundant in GMAT questions, unless word fact is explicitly needed to support the meaning of the sentence.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Re: Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2013, 12:27