Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although beavers can still be found throughout the western

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Although beavers can still be found throughout the western [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 11:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:47) correct 36% (00:50) wrong based on 115 sessions
Although beavers can still be found throughout the western united states, their number has declined compared with the eighteenth century, when the abundance of beavers lured armies of european trappers into the rocky mountain region to slaughter them for their pelts.

A. their number has declined compared with
B. their numbers have declined compared with
C. their numbers have declined since
D. their numbers have declined in comparison to those of
E. the number of them declined since

Kindly explain the usage of "their numbers" in this Question?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Purdue University - EE; RF Design - Telecommunication
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.16
WE: Design (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Although beavers can still be found [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 18:27
Although beavers can still be found throughout the western united states, their number has declined compared with the eighteenth century, when the abundance of beavers lured armies of european trappers into the rocky mountain region to slaughter them for their pelts.

"their" is the preposition, "beavers" is the antecedent the pronoun is referring to.

A - "has" is incorrect
B - "with" incorrect use
C - Correct
D - Redundant
E - "them" doesn't have a clear antecedent
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consultant (6Yr)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although beavers can still be found [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 18:52
This post received
KUDOS
SOURH7WK wrote:

Kindly explain the usage of "their numbers" in this Question?

Hi SOURH7WK,

As per the meaning of the sentence the phrase "their number" has been used to indicate that the beavers count has decreased since 18th Century.

Now why this whole clause has been used in this case to further indicate that ....."In the 18th Century abundance of beavers lured armies of european trappers into the rocky mountain region to slaughter them for their pelts"

Now as per the answer choices here

1)Decline of the number has been compared with the 18th century which is not correct

1)Same issue as with original one.

Correct option as now, since has been used to indicate an action which started in the past and still the beaver count is decreasing.

1) This option intends that there are two groups of Beavers whose numbers have been compared which is incorrect as indicated by the dep. clause "Although beavers can still be...."

1) the number of them is not a correct usage.

Pls let me know if i'm missing a pt here :)

Thanks
Jatin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Although beavers can still be found [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 01:10
My question is why the correct choice is using "numbers"? why not "number"?

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consultant (6Yr)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although beavers can still be found [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 05:33
SOURH7WK wrote:
My question is why the correct choice is using "numbers"? why not "number"?

Hi SOURH7WK

Since it is Beavers which indicates a plural noun and hence the usage of their number -- plural possesive phrase.

Thanks
Jatin
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1516 [1] , given: 247

Re: Although beavers can still be found [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SOURH7WK’s specific query is: why the plural term ‘their numbers’ is used and why not simply ‘their number: Am I right?

Well! I think the term “beavers” in the given context does not just denote one type of beavers. There must be several types of beavers, each of them having its own number; to highlight the existence such variety, perhaps the term numbers is used, as far as I could imagine .

P.S. However, Wikipedia says that there is only one type of beaver in North America; so I do not know, how far my imagination can hold out.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Although beavers can still be found [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 01:59
daagh wrote:
SOURH7WK’s specific query is: why the plural term ‘their numbers’ is used and why not simply ‘their number: Am I right?

Well! I think the term “beavers” in the given context does not just denote one type of beavers. There must be several types of beavers, each of them having its own number; to highlight the existence such variety, perhaps the term numbers is used, as far as I could imagine .

P.S. However, Wikipedia says that there is only one type of beaver in North America; so I do not know, how far my imagination can hold out.

Thanks Daagh. Indeed it was a specific query and u got my query in right way.
In that case I think numbers can denote to different numbers of beavers in different years of 18th Century.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Re: Although beavers can still be found   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2012, 01:59