Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Location: United States
GMAT Date: 10-30-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: -6 [1] , given: 8

Although blue herons [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 13:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine coast, their population has declined dramatically when compared to the 1970’s, a period in which there were fewer bald eagles competing with them for food and nesting sites.

their population has declined dramatically when compared to the 1970s
their population has declined dramatically compared with the 1970s
their populations have declined dramatically since the 1970s
their populations have declined in comparison to those of the 1970s
their population has declined in comparison with that of the 1970s


Give kudos if you like the question..keeps me motivated to post more.
_________________

kindly give kudos if my post was useful to you..need kudos !


Last edited by Zarrolou on 19 Jul 2013, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2013
Posts: 118
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 15:59
Are we saying d and e are wrong because 1970 is in the prepositional phrase and it cannot be subject of a period. Or because it has bad comparisons. Please clarify because I am still stuck on e and choices.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Looking to improve
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 177
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 65

Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 16:37
AMITAGARWALS,

Quote:
a period in which there were fewer bald eagles competing with them for food and nesting sites.


Is a modifier - appositive that modifies the noun 1920s. 1920s is not playing the role of subject.

The rule that subject can't be in a prepositional phrase is valid for only Independent clauses and is not a hard rule for relative clauses (that, which, who) and modifier phrases.

IMO answer should be E
Hope this is clear.
_________________

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: Q51 V27
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine coas [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 21:24
mikemcgarry wrote:
vishu1414 wrote:
Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine coast, their population has declined dramatically when compared to the 1970’s, a period in which there were fewer bald eagles competing with them for food and nesting sites.
(A) their population has declined dramatically when compared to the 1970s
(B) their population has declined dramatically compared with the 1970s
(C) their populations have declined dramatically since the 1970s
(D) their populations have declined in comparison to those of the 1970s
(E) their population has declined in comparison with that of the 1970s

In this one, the comparison is problematic. We can logical compare the 1970's to another time period, but here the comparison is between the 1970's and the implicit idea of "now" --- this happens all the time in colloquial English, but the GMAT doesn't like this. The GMAT wants explicit comparisons only.

The only answer that completely avoids the awkward comparison is (C), which deftly rephrases the information in a logical and grammatically correct way. Choice (C) stands out as much better than any of the other answers.


Hi,
Thanks for the explanation!!
But I still have one doubt in option C. Don't you feel that in option c the word "populations" should be "population" . Why a pronoun form is used.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1019
Location: United States
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1186 [1] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine coas [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 22:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
sharmaprashant19 wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
vishu1414 wrote:
Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine coast, their population has declined dramatically when compared to the 1970’s, a period in which there were fewer bald eagles competing with them for food and nesting sites.
(A) their population has declined dramatically when compared to the 1970s
(B) their population has declined dramatically compared with the 1970s
(C) their populations have declined dramatically since the 1970s
(D) their populations have declined in comparison to those of the 1970s
(E) their population has declined in comparison with that of the 1970s

In this one, the comparison is problematic. We can logical compare the 1970's to another time period, but here the comparison is between the 1970's and the implicit idea of "now" --- this happens all the time in colloquial English, but the GMAT doesn't like this. The GMAT wants explicit comparisons only.

The only answer that completely avoids the awkward comparison is (C), which deftly rephrases the information in a logical and grammatically correct way. Choice (C) stands out as much better than any of the other answers.


Hi,
Thanks for the explanation!!
But I still have one doubt in option C. Don't you feel that in option c the word "populations" should be "population" . Why a pronoun form is used.


Hi sharmaprashant19

Population can be used as plural (populations) or singular. "Populations" means more than one population, for example: the population of blue herons living in the north of Maine coast, the other population of blue herons living in the south. If you say population (singular), you mean all the blue herons of a particular area. (They live together).

More example:
Tiger populations all around the world are decreasing. The intended meaning is that tiger population in India, tiger population in China, and tiger population in other countries are decreasing.

Hope it helps.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine coas   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2013, 22:00
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Although blue herons ishanand 0 19 Jul 2013, 13:49
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Although beavers can still be found throughout the western SOURH7WK 6 27 Oct 2012, 11:38
4 A recent study by psychologists found that the main goal of bhavinshah5685 6 20 Aug 2012, 19:14
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Although beavers can still be found throughout the western hfbamafan 11 03 May 2012, 15:51
Experts publish their posts in the topic Unlike most volcanoes, found mostly along the boundaries of daagh 11 27 Sep 2010, 20:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.