Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2015, 05:35
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 10-30-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 8

Although blue herons [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine coast, their population has declined dramatically when compared to the 1970’s, a period in which there were fewer bald eagles competing with them for food and nesting sites.

their population has declined dramatically when compared to the 1970s
their population has declined dramatically compared with the 1970s
their populations have declined dramatically since the 1970s
their populations have declined in comparison to those of the 1970s
their population has declined in comparison with that of the 1970s

Give kudos if you like the question..keeps me motivated to post more.

kindly give kudos if my post was useful to you..need kudos !

Last edited by Zarrolou on 19 Jul 2013, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 15:59
Are we saying d and e are wrong because 1970 is in the prepositional phrase and it cannot be subject of a period. Or because it has bad comparisons. Please clarify because I am still stuck on e and choices.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 65

Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 16:37
AMITAGARWALS,

Quote:
a period in which there were fewer bald eagles competing with them for food and nesting sites.

Is a modifier - appositive that modifies the noun 1920s. 1920s is not playing the role of subject.

The rule that subject can't be in a prepositional phrase is valid for only Independent clauses and is not a hard rule for relative clauses (that, which, who) and modifier phrases.

IMO answer should be E
Hope this is clear.

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: Q51 V27

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine coas [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 21:24
mikemcgarry wrote:
vishu1414 wrote:
Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine coast, their population has declined dramatically when compared to the 1970’s, a period in which there were fewer bald eagles competing with them for food and nesting sites.
(A) their population has declined dramatically when compared to the 1970s
(B) their population has declined dramatically compared with the 1970s
(C) their populations have declined dramatically since the 1970s
(D) their populations have declined in comparison to those of the 1970s
(E) their population has declined in comparison with that of the 1970s

In this one, the comparison is problematic. We can logical compare the 1970's to another time period, but here the comparison is between the 1970's and the implicit idea of "now" --- this happens all the time in colloquial English, but the GMAT doesn't like this. The GMAT wants explicit comparisons only.

The only answer that completely avoids the awkward comparison is (C), which deftly rephrases the information in a logical and grammatically correct way. Choice (C) stands out as much better than any of the other answers.

Hi,
Thanks for the explanation!!
But I still have one doubt in option C. Don't you feel that in option c the word "populations" should be "population" . Why a pronoun form is used.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 189

Kudos [?]: 1839 [1] , given: 123

Premium Member
Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine coas [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 22:00
This post received
KUDOS
sharmaprashant19 wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
vishu1414 wrote:
(A) their population has declined dramatically when compared to the 1970s
(B) their population has declined dramatically compared with the 1970s
(C) their populations have declined dramatically since the 1970s
(D) their populations have declined in comparison to those of the 1970s
(E) their population has declined in comparison with that of the 1970s

In this one, the comparison is problematic. We can logical compare the 1970's to another time period, but here the comparison is between the 1970's and the implicit idea of "now" --- this happens all the time in colloquial English, but the GMAT doesn't like this. The GMAT wants explicit comparisons only.

The only answer that completely avoids the awkward comparison is (C), which deftly rephrases the information in a logical and grammatically correct way. Choice (C) stands out as much better than any of the other answers.

Hi,
Thanks for the explanation!!
But I still have one doubt in option C. Don't you feel that in option c the word "populations" should be "population" . Why a pronoun form is used.

Hi sharmaprashant19

Population can be used as plural (populations) or singular. "Populations" means more than one population, for example: the population of blue herons living in the north of Maine coast, the other population of blue herons living in the south. If you say population (singular), you mean all the blue herons of a particular area. (They live together).

More example:
Tiger populations all around the world are decreasing. The intended meaning is that tiger population in India, tiger population in China, and tiger population in other countries are decreasing.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 492

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2015, 06:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine [#permalink] New post 24 May 2015, 02:23
mikemcgarry :- Can you please explain why E is wrong?
I found one issue Dynamically is omitted in E , other than this is there any issue by which we can Discard C.

Thanks in advance
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 794

Kudos [?]: 3172 [1] , given: 38

Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine [#permalink] New post 26 May 2015, 09:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Shree9975 wrote:
mikemcgarry :- Can you please explain why E is wrong?
I found one issue Dynamically is omitted in E , other than this is there any issue by which we can Discard C.

Thanks in advance

Dear Shree9975,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Here's the question again:
A) their population has declined dramatically when compared to the 1970's
B) their population has declined dramatically compared with the 1970's
C) their populations have declined dramatically since the 1970's
D) their populations have declined in comparison to those of the 1970's
E) their population has declined in comparison with that of the 1970's

Yes, one problem with (D) & (E) is the subtle change in meaning caused by dropping the word "dramatically." More importantly, both of those choices are monsters of awkward length. Suppose we re-insert the word "dramatically" and compare (E) to the OA of (C):
C) their populations have declined dramatically since the 1970's
E) their population has declined dramatically in comparison with that of the 1970's
Think about what happens after "declined dramatically:" (C) has just three words, brief and elegant, to express the comparison, whereas (E) has a bloated seven words to say the same thing. Choice (E) is 100% grammatically correct and it completely awkward in its excessive wordiness. It uses more than twice the number of words necessary to say the same thing.

Remember: the GMAT SC is not just about grammar. Many incorrect answers on the SC are entirely grammatically correct. A correct answer also must be forceful, unambiguous, and direct. Choice (E) is flaccid, bloated, and livy-livered---the stuff that the GMAT hates! That's why it is wrong.
See
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-sc-wordy-vs-concise/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2015, 00:00
Populations is wrong. How can population be pluralized? Population in itself is a collection.
Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 2

Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2015, 07:05
Expert's post

A)their population has declined dramatically when compared to the 1970s compares population to the decade
B) their population has declined dramatically compared with the 1970s compares population to the decade
C)their populations have declined dramatically since the 1970s
D) their populations have declined in comparison to those of the 1970s lacks "dramatically" and "those" doesn't refer specifically to the blue heron populations of the 70's
E) their population has declined in comparison with that of the 1970s lacks "dramatically" and "that" doesn't refer specifically to the blue heron population of the 70's

Cassandra Wolff
Customer Support | Optimus Prep

Facebook Linkedin Youtube Twitter slideshare Google+

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 333

Kudos [?]: 2444 [0], given: 262

Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2015, 05:37
Expert's post
My one question is: is there a word as populations? I do not think any dictionary defines populations. They define only Population. Population itself is said to act as a plural in some cases. I would welcome some academic references for the word 'populations'.

So I feel all the choices depicting populations may prove grammatically wrong, leaving us only with choice E as the best contender, notwithstanding the dropping of the word 'dramatically'.

Any takers?

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 794

Kudos [?]: 3172 [0], given: 38

Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2015, 08:17
Expert's post
daagh wrote:
My one question is: is there a word as populations? I do not think any dictionary defines populations. They define only Population. Population itself is said to act as a plural in some cases. I would welcome some academic references for the word 'populations'.

So I feel all the choices depicting populations may prove grammatically wrong, leaving us only with choice E as the best contender, notwithstanding the dropping of the word 'dramatically'.

Any takers?

Dear daagh,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, the word "populations" is absolutely a word with a valid meaning, as long as we are talking about a non-homogeneous group. If we are talking about human beings, all human beings, and emphasizing our commonality, then of course there is just one human population. BUT, if we are talking about several individual mass movements, and we want to emphasize the uniqueness of each one, we would be more inclined to use "populations." Example:
The example of Easter Island raises the question whether human populations can bring about their own demise purely through unchecked consumption.
You see, the folks on Easter Island were one isolated group, one population, and we could easily imagine other indigenous isolated groups, other populations. The dynamics within any one of them are self-contained, so it makes sense to emphasize their differences.

Now, in this question, I am not an expert on blue herons, and perhaps you are not either. When non-experts hear "blue herons," we may think that there is only one kind of animal, one species, only one way to be a "blue heron." Suppose an expert came along, a trained biologist, and told us that there were, say, 15 different species of blue herons, and that each species had its own diet, its own environmental requirements, etc. etc. In particular, perhaps different blue heron species participated in different levels of conflict & competition with bald eagles for food & nesting sites. If that were the case, then the biological expert would have every reason to emphasize their differences, and speak of the "populations" of blue herons, that is, the collections of the groups of distinct species.

Of course, we don't know any of this expert knowledge, but it is certainly plausible that there are different species of blue herons, and that therefore it would be perfectly correct to speak of their "populations." We don't know this a priori, but the grammar of the SC problem forces us to accept (C), which de facto leads us to the "different species" conclusion.

My friend, does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 333

Kudos [?]: 2444 [0], given: 262

Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2015, 08:38
Expert's post
Thanks Mike: as a native speaker, you ought to know better than I do. After all, non-natives may go more by book knowledge, than by the more relevant contexts and subtle shades of differences in meaning. I take you point.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Re: Although blue herons can still be found along the Maine   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2015, 08:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ]