Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 07:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although computers can enhance people's ability to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Although computers can enhance people's ability to [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 16:06
Although computers can enhance people's ability to communicate, computer games are a cause of underdeveloped communication skills in children. After school hours spent playing computer games are hours not spent talking to people. Therefore, children who spent their spare time playing these games have less experience in interpersonal communication than other children have.

The argument depends on which of the following assumption?

A) Passive activities such as watching television and listening to music do not hinder the development of communication skills in children.
B) Most children have other opportunities, in addition to after school hours, in which they can choose whether to play computer games or to interact with other people.
C) Children who do not spend all their after hour playing computer games spend at least some of that time talking with other people.
D) Formal instruction contributes little or nothing to children's acquisition of communication skills.
E) The mental skills developed through playing computer games do not contribute significantly to children's intellectual development

Cheers, Rahul.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 09:55
Can you clarify your question more. What you doubt? What you think about answer choice A? and Your reasoning answer choice A as not defender type?

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 67

Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 14:19
tuanquang269 wrote:
Can you clarify your question more. What you doubt? What you think about answer choice A? and Your reasoning answer choice A as not defender type?

When you go through powerscore CR bible you will fiond a technique for solving assumption question Defender and supporter model

Suppose
Conclusion: More time on Comp affecting the communication skill.
So assumption Nothing other than communication skill is the cause of bad communication skill
So option A says the same thing other activities do not the communication skill.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1073

Kudos [?]: 4786 [1] , given: 163

Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability to [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 22:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
Although computers can enhance people's ability to communicate, computer games are a cause of underdeveloped communication skills in children. After school hours spent playing computer games are hours not spent talking to people. Therefore, children who spent their spare time playing these games have less experience in interpersonal communication than other children have.

A) Passive activities such as watching television and listening to music do not hinder the development of communication skills in children.

B) Most children have other opportunities, in addition to after school hours, in which they can choose whether to play computer games or to interact with other people.

C) Children who do not spend all their after hour playing computer games spend at least some of that time talking with other people.

D) Formal instruction contributes little or nothing to children's aquisistion of communication skills.

E) The mental skills developed through playing computer games do not contribute significantly to children's intellectual development

I know this question is discussed on this forum i am posting i have got a doubt regarding option A is not an example of Defender type model as discussed in Powerscore under heading of Assumption.............Please help

Option (A) is not an assumption. Our argument does not tell us that children who do not play computer games watch television/listen to music instead. We do not know what the other kids do and what activities do/do not hinder interpersonal communication. All we are assuming is that children who do not play computer games do spend some time talking to people and hence their interpersonal skills are better.

You can use Assumption Negation Technique with option A.

Negate A) Passive activities such as watching television and listening to music hinder the development of communication skills in children.

Can our conclusion still be true? Sure! Who said that children who do not play computer games watch TV instead? Children who do not play computer games could be interacting with other people for some time. They could have better interpersonal communication skills.

Since option (A) is not necessary for our conclusion to be true, it is not an assumption.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Although computers can enhance people's ability to [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 09:26
Although computers can enhance people's ability to communicate, computer games are a cause of
underdeveloped communication skills in children. After-school hours spent playing computer games are
hours not spent talking with people. Therefore, children who spend all their spare time playing these games
have less experience in interpersonal communication than other children have.

The argument depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Passive activities such as watching television and listening to music do not hinder the development of
communication skills in children.
(8) Most children have other opportunities, in addition to after-school hours, in which they can choose whether
to play computer games or to interact with other people.
(C) Children who do not spend all of their after-school hours playing computer games spend at least some of
that time talking with other people.
(0) Formal instruction contributes little or nothing to children's acquisition of communication skills.
(E) The mental skills developed through playing computer games do not contribute significantly to children's
intellectual development.

Can someone explain why the OA is right?

Please give kudos if you found my post useful, I give kudos back :)

Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability to communica [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 09:32
brooksbrahs wrote:
Although computers can enhance people's ability to communicate, computer games are a cause of
underdeveloped communication skills in children. After-school hours spent playing computer games are
hours not spent talking with people
. Therefore, children who spend all their spare time playing these games

(A) Passive activities such as watching television and listening to music do not hinder the development of
(8) Most children have other opportunities, in addition to after-school hours, in which they can choose whether
(C) Children who do not spend all of their after-school hours playing computer games spend at least some of
(0) Formal instruction contributes little or nothing to children's acquisition of communication skills.
(E) The mental skills developed through playing computer games do not contribute significantly to children's

The argument is based on the fact highlighted in red. based on this argument author concludes that children who spend all their spare time playing these games
have less experience in interpersonal communication than other children have. Underlying assumption is that those who do not play computer games talk to people!
Ans C explaines exactly that.

Hence Ans C it is.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability to communica [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 09:49
The correct answer is C.

The paragraph states that the children who play computer games have underdeveloped communication skills. So why would children other children have developed communication skills (Basically this a comparison between those with undeveloped and developed skills)? The children with developed abilities can communicate well because they spend some of their after school time communicating with others.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 11

Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability to communica [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 19:55
Vips0000 wrote:
brooksbrahs wrote:
hours not spent talking with people
. Therefore, children who spend all their spare time playing these games

The argument is based on the fact highlighted in red. based on this argument author concludes that children who spend all their spare time playing these games
have less experience in interpersonal communication than other children have. Underlying assumption is that those who do not play computer games talk to people!
Ans C explaines exactly that.

Hence Ans C it is.

Hi Vips,

just trying to understand the underlying assumption.

After school hours spent on playing computer games are not spent talking with people. hence I feel the assumption is "Children who do not play computer games, spent time talking to people". Then how does this relate to C which says "Children who do not spend all their spare time, spend some of their time in talking with people." Isn't this changing the scope of assumption. Also if you negate this statement (C) for me.

Further I feel choice A could be a passive/defender model assumption. So I am confused between A & C

Thanks
Frank
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 345 [0], given: 182

Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability to [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 21:48
David, check below link. It has detailed explanation on this problem:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... r-choices/

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability to [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 00:19
The conclusion is children who spent all their time after school hours playing computers are less experienced than the other children. The assumption lies on the children who do not play computer games that simply their activities is at least giving them more allowance to practice social skills...

This is a little tempting... When I was answering this I initially kept it until I found a better answer, but this could be dismissed because the author did not assume that only computer games does that... hence, this is far out to the author's assumption....

I ignored be simply because I cannot dismiss it and at the same time, I cannot accept it as the answer. Keep this for now.

Bingo! This is what we are looking for. If children who do not play computer games still did not talk with people then they are no better than the other children. This needs to be assumed for the conclusion to be valid. Best answer.

D and E are irrelevant

Impossible is nothing to God.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 46

Although computers can enhance people's ability to [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 06:22

D) Formal instruction contributes little or nothing to children's acquisition of communication skills.

I know this question is discussed on this forum i am posting i have got a doubt regarding option A is not an example of Defender type model as discussed in Powerscore under heading of Assumption.............Please help
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 272 [0], given: 11

Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability to [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 11:06
This is an easy one. The argument says that playing computer games prevents the time spent doing so from being spent interacting with others. This clearly assumes that were the games not to be played, at least some of that time would be spent in interacting with others. Lets look at the options and verify.

Looking at the options, we can easily pick out C and eliminate the others. Therefore C is the correct answer.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 141 [1] , given: 70

Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability to [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 19:43
This post received
KUDOS
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 362 [0], given: 241

Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability to [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 02:16
doe007 wrote:
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.

Hi Doe,

If you are merging the duplicate threads, then u ROCK. keep on merging. KUDOS for such activity.

Fame

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability to [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 07:46
rahulraao wrote:

Taking more time to answer CR question. . eps Assumption type.

Conclusion: children who spent their spare time playing these games have less experience in interpersonal communication than other children have.
Evidence: computer games are a cause of underdeveloped communication skills in children.

Assumption:
1) only Talking to people will help to increase the Communication skills.
2) Children have only spare time to play Computer games or Talk with people.
3) If children play comp games then they cannot talk with people.

A) Passive activities such as watching television and listening to music do not hinder the development of communication skills in children. - Passive activity has nothing to do with talking with people - Weakener
B) Most children have other opportunities, in addition to after school hours, in which they can choose whether to play computer games or to interact with other people. - - Weakeners
C) Children who do not spend all their after hour playing computer games spend at least some of that time talking with other people. - Correct one. When people do not spend playing cricket then they spend talking with peoples. Same as assumption 3
D) Formal instruction contributes little or nothing to children's acquisition of communication skills. - Irrelevant - Formal instruction contributes little or nothing
E) The mental skills developed through playing computer games do not contribute significantly to children's intellectual development - Irrelevant - Mental skill is not spoke here.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 08-29-2014
GPA: 3.45
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability to [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 06:26
Conclusion: Children who spend all their spare time playing computer games have less experience in interpersonal skills than other children have.

The argument compares interpersonal skills of two groups of children.
Negating the correct answer, that is answer choice (C), :

Children who do not spend all none of their after-school hours not playing computer games spend at least some none of that time talking with other people.

In other words, children who spend after-school hours not playing computer games spend none of that time talking with other people.

Negating the answer choice (C) states just opposite of conclusion, therefore choice (C) is the correct assumption.
Re: Although computers can enhance people's ability to   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2014, 06:26