Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2007
Posts: 181
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2007, 08:21
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (01:29) correct 22% (00:40) wrong based on 139 sessions
A similar SC has been discussed. But posting again as the answer choices are little different

Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing was acceptable.

(A) aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing was acceptable
(B) the runway conditions during the emergency landing were acceptable according to aviation officials
(C) according to aviation officials, the runway was in acceptable condition during the time of the emergency landing
(D) the runway was in acceptable condition during the emergency landing, according to aviation officials
(E) aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing were acceptable
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2004
Posts: 332
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Runway Condition [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2007, 21:46
iamba wrote:
A similar SC has been discussed. But posting again as the answer choices are little different

Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing was acceptable. A) aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing was acceptable
B) the runway conditions during the emergency landing were acceptable according to aviation officials
C) according to aviation officials, the runway was in acceptable condition during the time of the emergency landing
D) the runway was in acceptable condition during the emergency landing, according to aviation officials
E) aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing


D - correct modified 'runwa'.

C is closest but wordy.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2007
Posts: 181
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2007, 19:14
OA is D.

Don't you guys think that the phrase 'according to the officials' at the end of D is somewhat dangling?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 275
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2007, 19:36
iamba wrote:
OA is D.

Don't you guys think that the phrase 'according to the officials' at the end of D is somewhat dangling?


It sounds awkward, but D is the only choice that correctly modifies runway. It's the lesser of the 5 evils.
4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 286
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 339 [4] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 00:21
4
This post received
KUDOS
1. Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the
emergency landing was acceptable
.
• aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing was acceptable
• the runway conditions during the emergency landing were acceptable according to aviation officials
• according to aviation officials, the runway was in acceptable condition during the time of the emergency landing
• the runway was in acceptable condition during the emergency landing, according to aviation officials
• aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing were acceptable

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

_________________

********************
Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 286
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 339 [2] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 00:23
2
This post received
KUDOS
2. Discouraged by new data that show increases in toxic emissions from domestic factories, searches for alternative
investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies
.
• searches for alternative investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading
manufacturing companies
• searches are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies who are looking
for alternative investment opportunities
• shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies had begun searching for investment opportunities
outside of the manufacturing industry
• the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities for its
shareholders
• shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

_________________

********************
Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 286
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 339 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 00:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
3. Found in the wild only in Australia and New Guinea, powerful back legs with long feet distinguish kangaroos from
other large mammals
.
• powerful back legs with long feet distinguish kangaroos from other large mammals
• powerful back legs with long feet distinguish kangaroos from other mammals that are large
• powerful back legs with long feet distinguish kangaroos from those of other mammals that are large
• kangaroos are distinguished from other large mammals by powerful legs with long feet
• kangaroos are being distinguished from other mammals that are large by powerful legs with long feet

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

_________________

********************
Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 286
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 339 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 00:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
4. Hoping to alleviate some of the financial burdens of a growing population, property taxes last year were raised by
an eleven percent increase by the county government
.
• property taxes last year were raised by an eleven percent increase by the county government
• property taxes were raised by eleven percent last year by the county government
• the county government raised property taxes by an eleven percent increase last year
• the county government last year raised by eleven percent property taxes
• the county government raised property taxes by eleven percent last year

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

_________________

********************
Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.


Last edited by GetThisDone on 20 Apr 2012, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 286
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 339 [2] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 00:25
2
This post received
KUDOS
5. Used until the end of the Second World War, the German army employed the U-boat to attack both military or
civilian watercraft.
• the German army employed the U-boat to attack both military or
• the U-boat was employed by the German army to attack both military and
• the U-boat employed the German army to attack both military or
• the German army had employed the U-Boat to attack both military and the
• the U-boat has been employed by the German army to attack both military and also

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

_________________

********************
Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 286
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 00:26
6. Used until the end of the Second World War, the German army employed the U-boat to attack both military or
civilian watercraft.
• the German army employed the U-boat to attack both military or
• the U-boat was employed by the German army to attack both military and
• the U-boat employed the German army to attack both military or
• the German army had employed the U-Boat to attack both military and the
• the U-boat has been employed by the German army to attack both military and also

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

_________________

********************
Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 286
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 00:27
7. Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society,
that
compels man to compare himself to others.
• man is good only when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, that
• only man is good when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, that
• man is good when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted only by society, that
• only man is good when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, which
• man is good only when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, which

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

_________________

********************
Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.


Last edited by GetThisDone on 26 Apr 2012, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 286
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 00:48
Here is the link to main thread

sc-new-questions-700-level-130947.html#p1076122
_________________

********************
Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2010
Posts: 300
Location: Kuwait
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 10:13
Great Questions, got all except #1, thought it was E.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 141
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 21:15
mohankumarbd wrote:
1. Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the
emergency landing was acceptable
.
• aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing was acceptable
• the runway conditions during the emergency landing were acceptable according to aviation officials
• according to aviation officials, the runway was in acceptable condition during the time of the emergency landing
• the runway was in acceptable condition during the emergency landing, according to aviation officials
• aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing were acceptable

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D


Question, I chose B mostly because I forgot to compare the proper construction in B, to E before I made my choice. My question is if runway was possessive would that make it correct?
_________________

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 141
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 21:20
mohankumarbd wrote:
7. Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society,
that
compels man to compare himself to others.
• man is good only when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, that
• only man is good when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, that
• man is good when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted only by society, that
• only man is good when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, which
• man is good only when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, which

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E


I am assuming That is not supposed to be underlined :-D
_________________

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 286
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 339 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 23:14
1
This post received
KUDOS
hfbamafan wrote:
mohankumarbd wrote:
7. Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society,
that
compels man to compare himself to others.
• man is good only when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, that
• only man is good when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, that
• man is good when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted only by society, that
• only man is good when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, which
• man is good only when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, which

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E


I am assuming That is not supposed to be underlined :-D


Thank you for correcting. i have updated the question now.
_________________

********************
Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1775
Followers: 1228

Kudos [?]: 3368 [4] , given: 181

Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 08:31
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
hfbamafan wrote:
Question, I chose B mostly because I forgot to compare the proper construction in B, to E before I made my choice. My question is if runway was possessive would that make it correct?


Hi there,

Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the
emergency landing was acceptable.


Image

This sentence uses the verb-ed modifier "covered". So, what was covered? After reading the sentence we know that the runway was covered. Hence, the subject of the main clause should be runway so that the preceding verb-ed modifier "covered" can correctly modify it.

POE:

A. aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing was acceptable. Incorrect. The sentence now suggests that "aviation officials" were covered in snow.

B. the runway conditions during the emergency landing were acceptable according to aviation officials. Incorrect. The sentence now suggests that "runway conditions" were covered in snow. PS @hfbamafan - Even if it were "runway's conditions", this choice would be wrong because the modifier "covered" would still be modifying the incorrect entity "runway's condition" and not the runway. It was "runway" that was covered in snow and not the "runway's conditions". We need "runway" as the subject of the main clause.

C. according to aviation officials, the runway was in acceptable condition during the time of the emergency landing. Incorrect. " the runway" should be placed right in the beginning of the sentence to avoid any ambiguity.

D. the runway was in acceptable condition during the emergency landing, according to aviation officials. CORRECT.

E. aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing were acceptable. Incorrect. The sentence now suggests that "aviation officials" were covered in snow.

Image

1. The modifiers and the entities that they modify should be placed such so that the sentence conveys the logical intended meaning.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________



Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Posts: 118
Location: United States (NJ)
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 11:32
I got D.

"Although covered...snow" is modifying the noun that immediately follows it.

Aviation officials being covered in snow would not make sense here.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 191
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 20:31
fairly easy questions, but good review on introductory adj clauses.
_________________

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 76
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 26

Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 00:07
Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the
emergency landing was acceptable.
• aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing was acceptable
• the runway conditions during the emergency landing were acceptable according to aviation officials
• according to aviation officials, the runway was in acceptable condition during the time of the emergency landing
• the runway was in acceptable condition during the emergency landing, according to aviation officials
• aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing were acceptable

tricky but what's modifying although covered in abt 11 inches of snow, can't be the aviation officials, has to be the runway

Btw B and D
during the emergency landing inappropriately separated the subject from main verb
Re: SC - Modifiers - 700 level   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2012, 00:07
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation mun23 0 12 Mar 2013, 12:32
21 Experts publish their posts in the topic MODIFIER Set (700-800) Although covered in about 11 inches souvik101990 10 02 Dec 2012, 06:00
Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation GetThisDone 0 11 Jun 2012, 05:40
2 Though it had about 11 inches of snow, aviation officials SudiptoGmat 5 04 Sep 2010, 08:56
Though it had about 11 inches of snow, aviation officials GMATT73 25 15 Nov 2006, 07:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 39 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.