Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although films about the American West depict coyotes as

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2009
Posts: 317
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 13

Although films about the American West depict coyotes as [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 23:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:02) wrong based on 2 sessions
80. Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills, in reality these gregarious creatures live in stable groups that occupy the same territory for long periods.
(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills
(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 805
Location: New Delhi
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 56

Re: Depict as... [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 23:45
I'll vote for A

(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills - Correct idiom "depict as"
(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills - use of passive voice, which is unnecessary.
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West - same as B
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - as if they were, incorrect tense, wordy
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - depict as sounds better than depict to be
_________________

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 May 2009
Posts: 116
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: Depict as... [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 01:58
bigoyal wrote:
I'll vote for A

(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills - Correct idiom "depict as"
(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills - use of passive voice, which is unnecessary.
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West - same as B
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - as if they were, incorrect tense, wordy
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - depict as sounds better than depict to be


Hi,

I have a doubt,

if 'depict as' is the correct idiom, is 'depicted as' not a correct usage?

Please suggest.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 805
Location: New Delhi
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 56

Re: Depict as... [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 02:16
hasham222 wrote:
bigoyal wrote:
I'll vote for A

(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills - Correct idiom "depict as"
(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills - use of passive voice, which is unnecessary.
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West - same as B
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - as if they were, incorrect tense, wordy
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - depict as sounds better than depict to be


Hi,

I have a doubt,

if 'depict as' is the correct idiom, is 'depicted as' not a correct usage?

Please suggest.


I guess you are talking about option C. My reason for rejecting C was use of passive voice. In GMAT active voice is preferred, unless there is some specific reason to use passive voice.
_________________

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 May 2009
Posts: 116
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: Depict as... [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 02:36
bigoyal wrote:
hasham222 wrote:
bigoyal wrote:
I'll vote for A

(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills - Correct idiom "depict as"
(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills - use of passive voice, which is unnecessary.
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West - same as B
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - as if they were, incorrect tense, wordy
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - depict as sounds better than depict to be


Hi,

I have a doubt,

if 'depict as' is the correct idiom, is 'depicted as' not a correct usage?

Please suggest.


I guess you are talking about option C. My reason for rejecting C was use of passive voice. In GMAT active voice is preferred, unless there is some specific reason to use passive voice.


I am not being specific to option C. I am a little confused with the usage of Idioms 'depict as' is the correct idiom, can we also consider 'depicted as', the participle form of the same idiom, correct?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 May 2009
Posts: 68
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: Depict as... [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 02:51
C for me.

Only C has the subject "cayotes" matching with "these".
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 805
Location: New Delhi
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 56

Re: Depict as... [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 04:01
prinits wrote:
C for me.

Only C has the subject "cayotes" matching with "these".


hmm, on a second thought this option also looks good.
btw, whats the OA ?
_________________

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2009
Posts: 81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Depict as... [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 06:20
D ans shud b C.

'these' is a subject pronoun nd shud b used in refer to subject antecedents.
in first sentence, films isnt d subject where as coyotes are, so apply ''Flip it rule to first sentence to get d correct antecedent.

den u ll b able to judge d correct ans urself.

Please correct me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2009
Posts: 317
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 13

Re: Depict as... [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 19:38
OA is A and the explanation isnt given.

But I feel C is the correct answer since "these" refer to coyotes and hence the subject of the main clause should be coyotes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 267
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: Depict as... [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 22:43
A is the wrong OA..This has been discussed before....Correct OA is C....
Although (films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills), in reality [color=#00FF00]these[/color] gregarious creatures live in stable groups that occupy the same territory for long periods.

These should refer to coyotes as is done in C...
_________________

Choose Life

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 852
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 106

Re: Depict as... [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 22:44
acer2knight wrote:
OA is A and the explanation isnt given.

But I feel C is the correct answer since "these" refer to coyotes and hence the subject of the main clause should be coyotes.


In this using 'although' the contrast has been made between the films and the reality, so subject in the first clause should be the films and not the coyotes.

So for parallelism, C is incorrect. I think B is not the answer because of the passive voice.
_________________

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 852
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 106

Re: Depict as... [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 06:18
This is 1000 SC question (Q80) and the answer given in it is A.
_________________

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Re: Depict as...   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2009, 06:18
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Although films about the American West depict coyotes as ywilfred 15 10 Sep 2005, 05:29
Although films about the American West depict coyotes as himjhamb 0 23 Jul 2005, 16:59
Although films about the American West depict coyotes as okdongdong 1 22 Jul 2005, 05:22
Although films about the American West depict coyotes as cybera 7 16 Jul 2005, 10:19
1 Although films about the American West depict coyotes as shantanu4678 12 10 Nov 2004, 22:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although films about the American West depict coyotes as

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.