Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 10

Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 19:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

70% (01:47) correct 30% (00:55) wrong based on 270 sessions
Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for some time to respire, taking in oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide, similar to the way human beings breathe

(A) similar to the way human beings breathe
(B) similarly to human beings who are breathing
(C) just like the breathing of human beings
(D) as human beings when breathing
(E) just as human beings do when they breathe

Can anyone resolve the tiff between C,D & E I am stumped....
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 15

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 20:08
Maulikgmat wrote:
81. Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for some time to respire, taking in oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide, similar to the way human beings breathe
(A) similar to the way human beings breathe distorts meaning and implies "fruits breathe"
(B) similarly to human beings who are breathing "similarly to" is wrong
(C) just like the breathing of human beings again distorts the meaning as if respiration in fruits is like breathing of humans
(D) as human beings when breathing fruits respire "as" humans beings???
(E) just as human beings do when they breathe correctly implies that fruits respire, just like human beings to when they breathe

Respiration in fruits is an activity that occurs in humans when they breathe. That doesn't mean fruits breathe. E conveys this best
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 20:25
rashminet84 wrote:
Maulikgmat wrote:
81. Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for some time to respire, taking in oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide, similar to the way human beings breathe
(A) similar to the way human beings breathe distorts meaning and implies "fruits breathe"
(B) similarly to human beings who are breathing "similarly to" is wrong
(C) just like the breathing of human beings again distorts the meaning as if respiration in fruits is like breathing of humans
(D) as human beings when breathing fruits respire "as" humans beings???
(E) just as human beings do when they breathe correctly implies that fruits respire, just like human beings to when they breathe

Respiration in fruits is an activity that occurs in humans when they breathe. That doesn't mean fruits breathe. E conveys this best

Thanks for the reasoning boss!! :) So May I say that the respiration in fruits is the subject here??

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 15

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 20:28
fruits is the subject, "continues" is verb, "to respire" is adverb for "continues"
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 106

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 22:09
Agree With E.

Since, "taking in oxygen" is the subject(action), 'as .. do' is conveying it correctly.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 05:13
E looks the best.What is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 16:42
Quote:
81. Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for some time to respire, taking in oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide, similar to the way human beings breathe(A) similar to the way human beings breathe

I would go for E
Like vs as comparison
E would suffice the comparison - fruit to human.

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 17:14
Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for some time to respire, taking in oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide, similar to the way human beings breathe
(A) similar to the way human beings breathe (succinct, clear, concise- best answer)
(B) similarly to human beings who are breathing (compares against noun instead of their breathing capacity, also should have been "similar" to human rather than "similarly" to human)
(C) just like the breathing of human beings (like compares noun against noun, not against a capacity of breathing)
(D) as human beings when breathing (as used incorrectly, comparing human beings instead of breathing of the human beings)
(E) just as human beings do when they breathe (correctly uses ‘as’ to compare the capacity of breathing and not “like”- but wordy)

OA ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 10

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 18:28
OA is E...Great explanations thnx..
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 217 [2] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
Not correct.... similar isn't correct here..

As if humans we have humans who aren't breathing as of now :lol: Incorrect

breathing of human beings is not correct. breathing is not matching with continues

Not correct..... run off sentence / clause....

Perfect match!

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: isa.org
Schools: ISB, India.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 06:50
As correctly said by one of our friend,
Like vs. as comparison

E is the winner.

"Great people don't do different things, they do things differently"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 17:37
comparison should be between fruits and human beings....not the breathing of human beings.
D is not correct because we need a phrase with "as"...so picked E.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 08:38
E is the right answer, since it compares the actions performed by the fruits and human beings
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 6

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 15:34
'as' is used to compare clauses......respiration in fruits is compared with the respiration in human beings.

E for me.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 3

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 05:10
This post received
KUDOS

this implies that fruits and human beings breathe in a similar fashion

similarly is awkward

same reasoning as the first one

(D) as human beings when breathing fruits respire

as is awkward

correct option
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 05:13
i had marked A as my option.. got the reason of why not 'A' from CheriInfinite's exp..thanks:)
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 2

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 11:25
I'm still confused.
Could anybody provide a more datailed explanation?
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 2

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 12:55
2/3 split:

A,C: the comparison is with the breathing
B,D,E: the comparision is between plant and human being

Among B,D and E, E is best.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 23:12
E seems good to me..precisely saying
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 23:04
i chose A incorrectly, thanx for great explanations...

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2011, 23:04