Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 08:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although fullerenes - spherical molecules made entirely of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Although fullerenes - spherical molecules made entirely of [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 10:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Although fullerenes - spherical molecules made entirely of carbon - were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite. Since laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature an pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypotheses about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occurring fullerenes were formed.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?

1. Confirming that the shungite genuinely containes fullerenes took careful experimentation.
2. Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft.
3. The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from wich the fullerenes apparentlu formed.
4. The naturally occurring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure.
5. Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions.

Please explain.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [2] , given: 1

Re: Gmatprep CR - tough [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 15:02
This post received
KUDOS
fullerenes - spherical molecules found in the laboratory
found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite
discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypotheses about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occurring fullerenes were formed

Assumption: the one that is found in lab is the same with the one in the nature

1. Confirming that the shungite genuinely containes fullerenes took careful experimentation. - not relevant
2. Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft. - here the one in lab and the one in nature are compared
3. The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from wich the fullerenes apparently formed. - not relevant
4. The naturally occurring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure. - yah so it is different
5. Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions. - does not mean the same

answer D
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 0

Re: Gmatprep CR - tough [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 15:24
This is a weakening and so we should attack the conclusion of sentence.

First try to find conclusion and it is "laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature an pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypotheses about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occurring fullerenes were formed".
We can make inference that geologist think the shungite is found only in earth crust.

So to weaken this we should prove shungite is not found in earth crust.

1. Confirming that the shungite genuinely containes fullerenes took careful experimentation.
Doesn't weaken or support, only additional piece of information.

2. Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft.
Quite interesting. We have other source of fullerenes. Keep it for time being.

3. The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from wich the fullerenes apparentlu formed.
Already given that fullerness is made of carbon so this has to be true.

4. The naturally occurring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure.
Fullernes may be found in previously unknown crystalline structure but how does that weaken Geologist claim of earth crust condition.

5. Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions.
If this is the case, then geologist claim are all the more supported than weaken.

I will go with B.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 210

Re: Gmatprep CR - tough [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 16:35
Spot on. I know the OA is D - I got this one wrong the other day. I just couldn't crack through the technical jargon in this one. But your reasoning makes a lot of sense. +1.

AlbertNTN wrote:
discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypotheses about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occurring fullerenes were formed

1. Confirming that the shungite genuinely containes fullerenes took careful experimentation. - not relevant
2. Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft. - here the one in lab and the one in nature are compared
3. The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from wich the fullerenes apparently formed. - not relevant
4. The naturally occurring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure. - yah so it is different
5. Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions. - does not mean the same

answer D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Gmatprep CR - tough [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 19:55
I got D.
If its an unknown crystalline structure, you wouldnt know if its fullerene or not.
Hence, you wouldnt be able to evaluate the hypothesis, if you dont know what it is.

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 350 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: Gmatprep CR - tough [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 20:18
AlbertNTN wrote:

answer D

I admited that my application skill to the real is so bad. I do not recognize that is analogy flaw. Thank you. However, I recognize this is a causal flaw. Sometime I really confuse the one flaw with the other. Do you have a tip for this?

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

Re: Gmatprep CR - tough [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 21:41
nah my verbal is weak also. In this problem, i do not see kind of 'cause-effect' relationship, and mainly as i said the scope mentions only abt 2 things, the one in lab and the one in nature. Here they seem to be kind of 'parallel', not one thing leads to the other...anyway just move on... do more, haha shared the problems. Together we beat the Verbal =)) (i'm really worried abt my verbal)
Re: Gmatprep CR - tough   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2008, 21:41