Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 570
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 13

Re: Tough GMATPREP: Fullerenes [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 03:29
fluke wrote:
sudhir18n wrote:
subhashghosh wrote:


My take on D;
It says "The naturally occuring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure"
which means the structure was unknown prior to discovery. hence what we were using in lab may /maynot be the right form and structure?
so may be the ones thats found now has doesnt require distinctive remparature and prssure condition.
hence weakens..


I just have one complaint sudhir:
Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite.

This statement about fullerenes should have been presented in a different way.

Such as,
One type of fullernes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-
OR
scientists after analysis found that these molecules were spherical in structure.

But, it rather presented the information in this way
fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-

Thus, I am to believe that fullerenes will always have spherical structure.

Like saying
water-a substance who molecule contains 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom-

I will believe that All water will have the same structure. Now, someone tells me in Mars, water contains 2atoms of nitrogen and 2 helium. I will say, the earlier fact was not properly conveyed then.

When it is on earth, water -a substance who molecule contains 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom-

You see where my confusion is.


Yes I agree with you.. not a very well written arguement !!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Posts: 50
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Schulich (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.13
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Re: Tough GMATPREP: Fullerenes [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 10:49
Tough question
This might sound bit out of scope but molecular formula and crystalline structure are two different things. Two substances with same molecular formula but different crystalline structure exhibit different properties and hence are not same. That is what this questions implies over here.
I just wonder how many can actually think this much on the gmat day.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2011
Posts: 25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Tough GMATPREP: Fullerenes [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 14:46
Notice the premise talks about the synthesis of fullerenes in lab with known structure, and the conclusion talks about the evaluation of hypothesis on the basis of fullerenes formation in nature. The argument is inherently weak. In this case, information regarding the temp and pressure of naturally forming fullerenes needs to be known, hence the author assumes similar structure of molecules in both cases.
_________________

squeakvm

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2011
Posts: 18
WE: Architecture (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Re: Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 05:31
bigfernhead wrote:
Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite. Since laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature and pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypothesis about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occuring fullerenes were formed.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?
A) Confirming that the shungite genuinely contained fullerenes took careful experimentation.
B) Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft.
C) The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from which the fullerenes apparently formed.
D) The naturally occuring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure.
E) Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions


I have seen that OA is D.
The formation of the molecule need not just depend on Temp and Pressure.
Given the same Temp and Pressure, with different humidity or acidity in the air the structure of the molecule could change.
So just by saying you have an unknown crystalline structure cannot undermine the fact that the two processes could have happened at the same Temp and Pressure.

Whereas B, gives a new perspective on the issue telling, fullerenes are also found on outer space.
This clearly points out that there could be an unknown factor in the creation of fullerene molecules. If I personalize the argument and think in the view point of a scientist, then B seriously weakens the situation.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Dec 2011
Posts: 69
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 12

Re: Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 18:27
this is indeed a tough one, I guessed it also wrong. After I read the explanation, it seems quite obvious.
_________________

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 148
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 16:24
Really hope that I wont see this kind of question on test day
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Posts: 135
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Tough GMATPREP: Fullerenes [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 10:00
noboru wrote:
and what about E?
If the sunghite is formed only under distinctive conditions (different from those of the lab and therefore different from the Earth's crust).



Hi noburu,

I precisely see your point here simply because I had the same choice & explanation. I'm shocked to see why nobody has replied to this.

Probably, distinctive conditions - in which shingite is formed, here probably what I reckon the framer of the question/others in the forum consider is - dist.cond. refers to the same dist.cond of the lab. Not the actual meaning of distinctive conditions, i.e., varied conditions and hence discoverers can get no clue of it... incomplete question i feel...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Posts: 135
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Tough GMATPREP: Fullerenes [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 22:54
raghupara wrote:
noboru wrote:
and what about E?
If the sunghite is formed only under distinctive conditions (different from those of the lab and therefore different from the Earth's crust).



Hi noburu,

I precisely see your point here simply because I had the same choice & explanation. I'm shocked to see why nobody has replied to this.

Probably, distinctive conditions - in which shingite is formed, here probably what I reckon the framer of the question/others in the forum consider is - dist.cond. refers to the same dist.cond of the lab. Not the actual meaning of distinctive conditions, i.e., varied conditions and hence discoverers can get no clue of it... incomplete question i feel...



Sunghite just houses these fullerenes... So, that's a little out of scope..
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 26

Re: Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 07:42
what is the difficulty level of this question?
I went with C :(
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Posts: 134
Location: India
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 33

Re: Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 08:18
Ron's explanation in mgmat forum.

(b) is wrong because it's irrelevant.

the point is that fullerenes occur in nature. if the naturally occurring fullerenes are like the ones manufactured in the lab, then we can infer conclusions about the state of the primeval earth.

the occurrence of fullerenes elsewhere - even if they're found on the shelf of the local grocery store - does nothing to undermine this connection.
nothing.

--

choice (d), on the other hand, basically says "hey man, the natural fullerenes and the lab fullerenes are apples and oranges."
_________________

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.



Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 2418
Followers: 284

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 12:13
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2013
Posts: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 02:31
bigfernhead wrote:
Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite. Since laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature and pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypothesis about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occuring fullerenes were formed.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?
A) Confirming that the shungite genuinely contained fullerenes took careful experimentation.
B) Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft.
C) The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from which the fullerenes apparently formed.
D) The naturally occuring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure.
E) Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions


Hello e-gmat/experts,

Please throw some light on how to solve such questions. I am able to narrow down to choice B and D. Choice B seems more convincing to me. How to define a thought process for such questions?


Thanks a lot!!
_________________

Preparing for the next shot!!!

Re: Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2014, 02:31
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Although fullerenes--spherical molecules made entirely of uzonwagba 7 21 Jul 2009, 22:53
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Although fullerenes--spherical molecules made entirely of agold 11 26 Jun 2008, 14:34
Although fullerenes--spherical molecules made entirely of sondenso 13 05 Jun 2008, 19:20
Although fullerenes--spherical molecules made entirely of stevegt 4 17 Jul 2007, 16:42
Although fullerenes--spherical molecules made entirely of joemama142000 7 11 Dec 2005, 15:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.