Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 16:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 44

Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (01:53) correct 10% (00:15) wrong based on 74 sessions
Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
A.Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
B. Although he had resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
C. Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, had successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
D. Although he had resisted the assignment, Lawrence of Arabia, who successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, was earlier known as T. E. Lawrence.
E. T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, although they had resisted the assignment.

MGMAT CAT MATH mgmat-cat-math-144609.html
MGMAT SC SUMMARY: mgmat-sc-summary-144610.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: T. E. Lawrence [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 23:32
Hi monir can you please post the OA .I feel B is the answer .Can you please confirm !!

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: T. E. Lawrence [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 00:45
I think Its c because of past tense usage

Posted from my mobile device Image

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 1445 [0], given: 245

Re: T. E. Lawrence [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 03:04
Expert's post
It is something to decide whether resistance and leading happened simultaneously or one after another. It does not mean much to say that he did both the things simultaneously - resisted as well led at the same time. He first resisted and then changed his mind and led for some reason. . Therefore, resistance is the first event and needs past perfect. The later leading needs simple past. Therefore, B is the befitting answer

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 18

Re: T. E. Lawrence [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 20:53
monir6000 wrote:
Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
A.Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
B. Although he had resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
C. Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, had successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
D. Although he had resisted the assignment, Lawrence of Arabia, who successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, was earlier known as T. E. Lawrence.
E. T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, although they had resisted the assignment.

i pick B here. there are 2 past events. at first TEL resisted the assignment then he led an Arab uprising. So B conveys the meaning correctly. in A, TEL resisted the assignment and led the uprising simultaneously, which is not the intended meaning. C just reversed the intended meaning. E is convoluted and wordy. correct me if i am wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: T. E. Lawrence [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 00:29
Choice B should be the correct answer. This question is only about tense and logic of tense. Choice A is wrong in term of tense error. The first tense should be in past perfect.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: T. E. Lawrence [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 09:53
IMO - B.

Explanation:
A. Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
Time sequence error. Leading and Resisting seems to have happened at the same time. Hence, Incorrect.

Had indicates resistance happened before Lawrence led the uprising. Sounds right, plus 'Although he' followed by 'T.E. Lawrence' after comma is correct.

Changes the meaning of the sentence, it appears that leading happened before the resistance. Hence, incorrect.

he....refers to Lawrence of Arabia. Hence, incorrect.

E. T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, although they had resisted the assignment
Pronoun error - they incorrectly refers to T.E. Lawrence. Hence, incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: T. E. Lawrence [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 10:55
Two actions happening at different times so the first one needs to have the correct tense 'had' to specify the order of events.
Correct. Tense is correct - 'he had' and also the commas are used correctly. 'He' refers correctly to T.E. Lawrence and then goes on to say that he successfully led an uprising.
Same as A, wrong tense.
Illogical sentence formation 'who' needs to refer to T.E. Lawrence but it does not do so correctly.
'They' refers to T.E lawrence incorrectly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 36

Re: T. E. Lawrence [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 16:29
Here's how I approach this problem:

Start with A. This actually seems okay, but obviously we should check the rest anyway. B immediately seems just as good if not better. By this point, it's pretty obvious that the answer is going to be A or B, and it's probably B, but let's check the rest anyway. C is obviously wrong, D is just silly and changes the meaning, and E is obviously wrong. So, A or B. Review the two. Clearly these are two past events and B gives a better idea of when they relatively happened. B is the answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 01:31
this is very hard and beautiful problem. It takes me a long time to solve this problem.

on sc, normally, we have to face split had done+did and did+did

when we see this , ask your self the two actions happen in sequence or at the same time.

in A, the two actions happen at the time and this situation is not logic. the action after "although" can not happen at the same time with the action in the main clause. The action in the "although" clause must happen before the action in the main clause and so, "had done" and "did " are used. this process of imposing the times on 2 actions ia hard and takes a long time

this is typical of gmat question, which is simple and hard and very basic.

thank you Manhantan for making this question. this question simulates a situation in the real test , in which I was last time.
Re: Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2013, 01:31