Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 5

Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 16:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:01) correct 34% (00:53) wrong based on 141 sessions
Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).

(A) acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate
(B) acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth either from burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
(C) act as a global thermostat and thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
(D) they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates
(E) they act as a global thermostat to thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, but they also accelerate

This is from the brutal SC problem set in the stickies. I got it right, but every answer choice seems wrong to me. I just picked the one that seemed the least bad. Thoughts, or maybe an explanation as to why the OA is what it is?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The OA is (A), but why is "acting as global thermostat" correct? It needs to be "acting as a global thermostat" to make sense, unless there's some crazy obscure usage of "thermostat" that I'm not aware of. No, that isn't a typo - this is directly from the problem set in the thread.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1705 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Brutal SC # 66 - Ice particles [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 19:01
Expert's post
The omission of - a - is certainly a typo, as all other forums have included the- a- in the text. Pl. google it and find out.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Broad, McCombs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 11

Re: Brutal SC # 66 - Ice particles [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 09:29
You missed the "a" in the original.

http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentenc ... phere.html
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Brutal SC # 66 - Ice particles [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 03:40
can anybody explain why not c...its parallel
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 109

Re: Brutal SC # 66 - Ice particles [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 09:08
+1 A 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 229 [1] , given: 20

Re: Brutal SC # 66 - Ice particles [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 11:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Nithin,

Great question - while C is parallel, it misses another important part of the sentence. When you begin a sentence with "Although" or another word that signals that a transition is coming (like "because"), it must be followed by an independent clause - you need a subject and a verb to follow the lead-in of "although" or "because".

For example, I couldn't say that:

Although it was raining last night and I went for a run.

Because there's no second half to that sentence. I would say:

Although it was raining last night, I went for a run.

We need "I" as a new subject to follow the clause "Although..." You can think of this as a cause-and-effect relationship: "Although X is true, Y is also true."

In this sentence, C doesn't provide a second half to that relationship, so although it's parallel in verb tense, it's still incorrect. We need a choice like A which is not only parallel, but also introduces "they" as the subject of a new clause to complete the "although X is true, Y is also true" situation.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: Brutal SC # 66 - Ice particles [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 12:25
A) acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate
(B) acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth either from burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
(C) act as a global thermostat and thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
(D) they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates
(E) they act as a global thermostat to thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, but they also accelerate

B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: Brutal SC # 66 - Ice particles [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 12:32
Ohhh god I missed the beginning.

Question - shouldn't the idiom be either from X or Y ? In A this is from either X or Y.
Are both correct ?
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 229 [1] , given: 20

Re: Brutal SC # 66 - Ice particles [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Amma,

Great point -and this is why I always advocate to think about idioms LAST, because:

1) Very seldom does a GMAT question rely solely on the idiom...there's almost always a more systematic flaw in 4 of the answers.

2) We're just not that good at idioms...there are too many to know and too many exceptions to the rule. And why would a top business school be impressed that you memorized 20% more idioms than I did? It's applying systematic knowledge that should impress them.

As to your question specifically, I think you can break that one down to parallelism, though:

Either _______________ or _________________

Dictates that if the "from" comes after "either", you'd need it in the second half, after "or", as well:

Either from X or from Y

OR you could put the "from" first so that it corresponds to both halves:

From either X or Y

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 87

Re: Brutal SC # 66 - Ice particles [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 01:42
TehJay wrote:
Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).

(A) acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate

This is from the brutal SC problem set in the stickies. I got it right, but every answer choice seems wrong to me. I just picked the one that seemed the least bad. Thoughts, or maybe an explanation as to why the OA is what it is?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The OA is (A), but why is "acting as global thermostat" correct? It needs to be "acting as a global thermostat" to make sense, unless there's some crazy obscure usage of "thermostat" that I'm not aware of. No, that isn't a typo - this is directly from the problem set in the thread.

Why is B , C, E out ?? Is B and C out for the use of while? and E out for the use of but???
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 19

Reviews Badge
Re: Brutal SC # 66 - Ice particles [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 03:56
Thanks Brian for your explanations!

Looking for Kudos :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 05:27

(A) acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate-->Correct
(B) acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth either from burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating --> should be from either not either from
(C) act as a global thermostat and thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating -> while also?
(D) they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates--> accelerates
(E) they act as a global thermostat to thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, but they also accelerate -->> but..also?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1300

Kudos [?]: 3682 [1] , given: 185

Re: Brutal SC # 66 - Ice particles [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 11:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
siddhans wrote:
TehJay wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Why is B , C, E out ?? Is B and C out for the use of while? and E out for the use of but???

Hi @siddhans,

Use of although makes a clause a dependent clause that needs to be supported with an independent clause to communicate a complete idea. For example: Although this house is small, it can accommodate a lot of people. Notice that "Although this house is small," does not communicate a complete idea. It needs the help of an IC to do so.

Choice B is made up of two DCs. This sentence structure is not correct. After the "although" DC, we need an IC to communicate a complete idea. Also this choice violates parallelism. What follows "either" is "from burning up" and what follows "or" is "freezing over". We need "from" after "or" also to make both the entities parallel.

Choice C has the same sentence structure problem with the use of "while".

Choice E again has a faulty sentence structure because of the presence of "but" after comma.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Brutal SC # 66 - Ice particles [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 20:02
amma4u wrote:
A) acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate

B

explanation in B is not correct
a FROM after EITHER needs another FROM after OR
Sentences begin with ALTHOUGH/BECAUSE need subject and verb in the second part of sentence after comma, so A is the correct answer
B & C are out because they lack subject after the comma
D is out because 'it' refers to plural 'ice particles'
E is awkward - "thermostat to this keep"

SKK

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 300 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 20:36
A it is
in C the contrast needs to be mentioned with ALTHOUGH is missing.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 08:52
A – Keep
B – Either X or Y is correct usage. Eliminate
C – While is a conjunction. 2nd sentence misses a subject. Eliminate
D – as B
E – “themostat to thus keep” – ungrammatical. Eliminate
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 103

Re: Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 00:09

Gurus,
I have a question is the below construction correct. I want to know whether the construction of above sentence correct.(i know there are few errors in this sentence but is the construction correct)

Although DC, IC, even though DC.

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1300

Kudos [?]: 3682 [2] , given: 185

Re: Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 06:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,

I received a PM to respond to this one.

Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).

There are four clauses in this sentence with choice D:

Cl. 1: Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth (DC)

Cl. 2: in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, (DC)

Cl. 3: they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps Earth either from burning up or freezing over (IC)

Cl. 4: even though it also accelerates the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's). (DC)

The highlighted words in the first two clauses and the last clause make them dependent clauses. The third clause is an IC. This construction is correct. The first two DCs are connected correctly. The DCs and the IC are correctly connected by comma. Then the last DC is connected by the previous IC by a comma.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 291

Re: Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 03:53
TehJay wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

It is not from the 1000 series. Its an official GMAT prep question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2014, 18:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hello friends..

in option A.."although" thing is okay..(although X,Y)
but in option A, "acting as global thermostat..."..doesn`t it seem to modify the "solar radiation"..rather it should modify the ice particles.

anybody plz correct me ..

thanku
Re: Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2014, 18:03