Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Improved Efficiency [#permalink] New post 03 May 2009, 10:30
B has "because" in it...doesnt the gmat prefer "due to" ? I would have gone with A. In A "it" is not ambiguous because it refers to the action "improved efficiency in...."
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Improved Efficiency [#permalink] New post 03 May 2009, 11:04
bigtreezl wrote:
B has "because" in it...doesnt the gmat prefer "due to" ? I would have gone with A. In A "it" is not ambiguous because it refers to the action "improved efficiency in...."

"It" may refer to the "improved efficiency in....", however you have to make a conscious effort to decide that it does. This effort is quick and not hard, but you have to make it. When you read the the choice A for the first time, I'm sure you experienced it.

One of the great things GMAT teaches is the elimination of ambiguity, however insignificant it might be. This problem is clearly a perfect example. GMAT teaches that you should not spend mental energy on deciphering word constructions of the author, but rather spend it on thinking over the meaning of what the words convey. It took me a bit of time to realize this, but once I did, it improved my sentence correction skill somewhat. That being said, I still got the wrong answer the 1st time around.

I'm certain B is the best choice here. All IMO, of course, and I'm not a native speaker.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC: Improved Efficiency [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 18:55
pleonasm wrote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with option A.

Option B - Demand will be stimulated by increasing supplies and lowering prices - right .. who exactly will do this - my grandfather ? :)

more over, this is in passive voice and the right way of putting even this passive voice is 'demand will be stimulated by the increased supplies and the lowered prices'.

Made this topic come back

B clearly wrong, Agree with Pleo that "his grandfather" may exactly do that :-D

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Improved Efficiency [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 00:09
I'm going to pick A. Someone mentioned that this has been discussed before. Can you post a link to the previous thread? thanks!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC: Improved Efficiency [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 16:15
Ok to add on to the mystery of "thereby" I have another question. This is from Kaplan and I am confused about the correct usage of 'thereby', 'and so', 'which' in any sentence. If somebody can please clarify for me, it will certainly help.

Question: A common social problem in the workplace occurs when workers accept supervisory positions, and it causes them to lose the trust of their former co-workersC

A. when workers accept supervisory positions, and it causes them to lose
B. by a worker accepting supervisory positions, which causes him to lose
C. when workers accept supervisory positions, and so lose
D. when a worker who accepts a supervisory position, thereby losing
E. if a worker accepts a supervisory position, he would lose

aagar2003
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Improved Efficiency [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 23:06
I also choose A; it seems there is a problem in OA
kindly have a look at the following threads---
http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sent...explain-2.html (Wood products..plz explain)
http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentenc ... rvest.html
Here some good explanations those tell you the problem in B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Improved Efficiency [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 08:50
Vote for A

This is a very tough one. I got all confused between A and B because both have no clear antecedent.
- improved efficiency VS efficiency
- lowering prices, or both.

Eventually pick A because, at least, Although X ..., X ... is more concise and parallel.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ROSS PT 2012
WE 1: Mech Engineer - General Electric - 2yrs
WE 2: Lead Mech Engineer - Ingersoll Rand - 4 yrs

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Improved Efficiency [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 17:52
I disagree with both A and B.
It has a referent issue:
Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting consumption.
"it" may refer to harvest rates or improved efficiency.

The use of "which" creates ambiguity:
In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and lowering prices, which boost.
"which" usually refers to the word / phrase immediately preceding it. In this case which refers to lowering prices, but in essence it should refer to both increasing supply and lowering prices.

C,D,E are out anyways. No Solution to this SC.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1592 [0], given: 249

Re: SC: Improved Efficiency [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 19:43
Expert's post
Limiting to just A and B:

As an accepted custom, in two –part sentences, a pronoun first refers to the subject of the sentence and if there is no appropriate subject for the pronoun, however distantly the subject may be placed, then the given pronoun will try to sticks on to the nearest noun. We have to conjecture that.

In A, the subject is clearly the improved efficiency which befits the pronoun.

Now B: The subordinate clause is in active voice, while the main clause is in passive voice. How parallel is this structure?

If this exercise is from OG or GPREP, then let us take the OA. Otherwise we are entitled to contest the OA.

A is the clear choice.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 614 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 00:22
Expert's post
How can the answer be B. OA must be A for similar reasons discussed above.
Rightly said by daagh that if the answer is from OG or GPrep then we have to accept otherwise kick the source of this question.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 00:29
prasannar wrote:
Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting consumption.

A. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
thereby boosting. ( it pronoun not clear wht it stands for/ eliminate)

B. In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and
lowering prices, which boost. ( Correct )

C. Of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
which boosts. ( Of converting / eliminate)

D. Of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce
harvest rates, it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply
and lower prices, thereby boosting. ( Of converting / eliminate)

E. When harvested trees are converted into wood products may reduce
harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply
and lowering prices, which boost.
( When harvested/ Although look at the contrast being given / parallelism i chose although instead of when/ eliminate)

DARK KNIGHT

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 926 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
prasannar wrote:

A. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
thereby boosting.

B. In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and
lowering prices, which boost.

C. Of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
which boosts.

D. Of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply
and lower prices, thereby boosting.

E. When harvested trees are converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply

Hi ishancrazee,

In this question C, D "efficiency of converting harvested trees" and "efficiency of harvested trees" are idiomatically incorrect. "When" in (E) is also not preferred because its use will imply of the efficiency at a particular time "when" harvested trees are converted into wood products.

A. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
thereby boosting.

(A) correctly uses the participle "boosting" to modify the previous clause, meaning that "boosting" is a result of "increasing supply and lowering prices". Moreover "in converting" usage is better than those in other answer choices.

B. In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and

In (B) if you see the last part "which boost" it means that the verb "boost" should agree with a plural subject, which in this case seems to be "increasing supply and lowering prices". On the other hand, one might say "which" modifies the noun closest to it i.e. prices; this usage will be more preferred. But, even if we take this usage into consideration, we will change the meaning of the original sentence, which intends to say that both "increasing supply and lowering prices" are boosting consumption.

C. Of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
which boosts.

Incorrect as explained above

D. Of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply

Incorrect as explained above

E. When harvested trees are converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply

Incorrect as explained above.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager
Schools: Smith '16 (I)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 14:48
prasannar wrote:

thereby boosting.

which boosts.

Guys..Wanted to know if this can also be a reason to eliminate B

If we look at the second part, it looks to me like an independent clause

"demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and
lowering prices, which boost consumption"

I mean it clearly does not require previous clause to support it. if we say that the demand will stimulate because..bla bla bla..it will still make sense.

in that case since B is connected just by a comma, thus it can be incorrect
am I right in my understanding?

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 03:28
"because of" refer to an agent which do not directly cause the action
"by" refer to an agent which directly cause the action.

that is reason why, b, e is wrong

is my thinking correct?

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 03:31
Hi E-GMAT,

A. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
thereby boosting.

B. In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and

C. Of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
which boosts.

D. Of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce
harvest rates, it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply

E. When harvested trees are converted into wood products may reduce
harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply

My queries is , Could you please explain the sentence structure of choice A mainly "thereby boosting ..." is it a modifier introducing a dependent clause or a independent clause marker?

Secondly , in choice B , Could you please explain the usage of "Because of increasing & lowering" structure , as "Because of Verb-ing seems a wrong usage in GMAT. Correct me where I'm wrong .

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 54

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 04:10
Nitinaka19 wrote:
My queries is , Could you please explain the sentence structure of choice A mainly "thereby boosting ..." is it a modifier introducing a dependent clause or a independent clause marker?

Secondly , in choice B , Could you please explain the usage of "Because of increasing & lowering" structure , as "Because of Verb-ing seems a wrong usage in GMAT. Correct me where I'm wrong .

Thanks

Thereby is an adverb. In the stem, thereby (as an adverb) is modifying the preceding verbs - increasing and lowering. 'thereby boosting consumption' is indeed an adverbial (thereby is the adverbial conjunct)

The usage of increasing and lowering is wrong in option B. If you wanted to use -ing form, then it could have been written as
Because of an increasing/increased supply and a lowered price ....
In which case, increasing and lowered act as participles modifying the succeeding nouns.

And yes, Because of +ing form is valid. For ex. Because of swimming teacher, I was able to learn swimming much faster.
It is a perfectly valid sentence.

Note: 'Because of' is used as a preposition and 'because' is used as a subordinating conjunction

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 47

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 07:57

thereby boosting.CORRECT......IT REFERS TO IMPROVED EFFICIENCY...

C. Ofconverting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
which boosts.

D.Of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply

E. When harvested trees are converted into wood productsmay reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

Re: SC: Improved Efficiency [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 15:43
peraspera wrote:
I got A at first, but after reviewing the OA I came to realize B is the best choice.
The reasoning is that B is less ambiguous, and therefore is the best answer.

The correct answer is A. For more information, pls read: although-improved-efficiency-in-converting-harvested-trees-62966.html
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees [#permalink] New post 02 May 2014, 20:41
I also took B because it eliminates "it" problem and does clause sentence with "although" conjunction and comma. Nothing wrong with "which", it has immmediate antecedent "lowering prices, which boost consumption"
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 246

CAT Tests
Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 04:06
This is a GMAT prep question and the Official answer here is A.

Can someone throw light here why efficiency in is better than efficiency of.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2014, 04:06