Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [20]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [7]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: Although it was known that inductive action travelled with finite velo [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Blueseas,

Lets forget C,D,E as they are obviously wrong. In this sentence the parallel marker is and, so i have simplified the sentence below. I still don't see what is wrong with B?

A. Although it was known that X did blah blah, AND that Y did blah blah, nearly all the physicists failed to form the only conception of it that was possible.
B. Although it was known THAT X did blah blah, AND Y did blah blah, nearly all the physicists failed to form the only conception of it that was possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: Although it was known that inductive action travelled with finite velo [#permalink]
Could anyone tell me in the correct choice A, what is the usage of "as". I found it quite strange and thus came to choice C with the word "like", which is even more ironical after I comprehended the meaning of the sentence.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
tronghieu1987 wrote:
Could anyone tell me in the correct choice A, what is the usage of "as". I found it quite strange and thus came to choice C with the word "like", which is even more ironical after I comprehended the meaning of the sentence.

This is a very standard usage of "as" to refer to proportionality of 1 quantity wrt the other .

Example, in this question , the effect of electro magnetic force varies inversely as square of the distance.

Mathematically, this translates to E=1/d^2.

Something varies inversely or directly as the 2nd entity.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
tronghieu1987 wrote:

This is a very standard usage of "as" to refer to proportionality of 1 quantity wrt the other .

Example, in this question , the effect of electro magnetic force varies inversely as square of the distance.

Hope this helps.

I could a bit understand from the perspective of math equation. But could you please give me another example, in writing, of this usage of "as", but not related to math?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
tronghieu1987 wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
tronghieu1987 wrote:

Hope this helps.

I could a bit understand from the perspective of math equation. But could you please give me another example, in writing, of this usage of "as", but not related to math?

IMO, I think that this usage of "as" is strictly for relations as mentioend above. Other uses of 'as' include:

1. To assign a role: As the leader of the group, Tom presided over the evening meeting.
2. For comparison: Amy takes care of the children in the day care as a mother does.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
Hi,

I understood the grammatical concepts here but did not understand the meaning of the sentence.

What exactly does that mean?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
torto wrote:
Hi,

I understood the grammatical concepts here but did not understand the meaning of the sentence.

What exactly does that mean?

I do not think the grammatical concepts are alright - for universal truths, simple present must be used even if the usage is within a statement in past.

..inductive action travelled with finite velocity...: wrong - should be "travels".
..an electro-magnet would affect the space about it ...:wrong - should be "affects".
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM

Official Veritas Explanation

Solution: A

The correct response is (A). There’s a nice parallelism in the original sentence with “known THAT…and THAT.”

If you chose (B), here we’re missing the parallelism for the second clause. There are two things that were “known.”

If you chose (C), the addition of the word “also” is wordy and not needed. Additionally, changing “as” to “like” changes the meaning of the sentence. The sentence is not drawing a comparison.

If you chose (D), the pronoun “them” is plural and cannot be used to refer to the singular antecedent “electro-magnet.”

If you chose (E), “and also known” is not parallel with the relative clause at the beginning of the sentence. The GMAT often uses the parallel construction: VERB + “THAT”….and THAT…
ISB School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 358
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 2.88
Send PM
summer101 wrote:
Although it was known that inductive action travelled with finite velocity in space, and that an electro-magnet would affect the space about it practically inversely as the square of the distance, nearly all the physicists failed to form the only conception of it that was possible.

A. and that an electro-magnet would affect the space about it practically inversely as the square of the distance
B. and an electro-magnet would affect the space about it practically inversely as the square of the distance
C. and also that an electro-magnet would affect the space about it practically inversely like the square of the distance
D. and that an electro-magnet would affect the space about them practically inversely as the square of the distance
E. and also known that an electro-magnet would affect the space about it practically inversely as the square of the distance

A & B both seem right. Why does A win over B?

"Although it was known that inductive action travelled with finite velocity in space", "and that an electro-magnet would affect the space about it practically inversely as the square of the distance"

is it okay that the two "parallel" phrases are separated by a comma?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
sampriya wrote:
"Although it was known that inductive action travelled with finite velocity in space", "and that an electro-magnet would affect the space about it practically inversely as the square of the distance"

Hi sampriya,

Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to use any "rule" that restricts us from using a comma before an and in a list of two elements, at least on the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Send PM
I was wondering if 'and also' is redundant. Then I came across this post https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-and-also- ... 52317.html

Do read if you are confused :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
Can anyone tell me why 'that' cannot be taken as a common word? (That gives B as the answer) I have seen similar things being done many times in parallelism questions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
sampriya wrote:

Hi sampriya,

Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to use any "rule" that restricts us from using a comma before an and in a list of two elements, at least on the GMAT.

AjiteshArun I agree we should refrain from learning "rules" that aren't really rules. But isn't it true that when we talk about two elements (Nouns, verbs, modifiers or even an idea) we use "and" without the comma?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
AjiteshArun I agree we should refrain from learning "rules" that aren't really rules. But isn't it true that when we talk about two elements (Nouns, verbs, modifiers or even an idea) we use "and" without the comma?

Hi Hoozan,

Some (many?) people do use an and without a comma in lists of only two elements that aren't independent clauses. But because the GMAT steers clear of these kinds of punctuation calls, I really wouldn't recommend using this as an absolute rule.

That said, this is just my opinion.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Hoozan wrote:

Hi Hoozan,

Some (many?) people do use an and without a comma in lists of only two elements that aren't independent clauses. But because the GMAT steers clear of these kinds of punctuation calls, I really wouldn't recommend using this as an absolute rule.

That said, this is just my opinion.

nikitamaheshwari a learning to keep in mind
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts