Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 76330

Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 03:24
1. ......to seek support (sounds better with) .....to increase.
2. We seek support from someone and not support of so B,C and D are eliminated
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 03:32
daagh wrote:
The core issues here are a) maintaining parallelism, (to seek support and to increase or seeking support and to increase), b) use of idioms (support of or support from) and use of correct diction (first of Britain’s National Museums or Britain’s First National Museums)

Correct version should include the parallel costruction to seek support and to increase, correct idiom support from and correct diction first of Britain’s National Museums. It may also be appreciated that the first in D does not denote the topper here but a batch of toppers and hence the use of among, as I see.

Going by the above, I think D is most befitting.

Daagh, u said correct diction first of Britain’s National Museums Whats wrong with Britain’s First National Museums
Also can you confirm whether support of must have the entity receiving the support as the object

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 12:44
Quote:
Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the Victoria and Albert Museum was one of the first of Britain’s national museums seeking support from corporations and private donors and to increase income by increasing attendance.

(A) one of the first of Britain’s national museums seeking support from
(B) one of Britain’s first national museums seeking support of
(C) among Britain’s first national museums to seek support of
(D) among the first of Britain’s national museums to seek support from
(E) among Britain’s first national museums that have sought the support of

Answer: D
Parallelism - 'to seek support...and to increase income'. D is the only answer choice to satisfy this.
C - should be 'amongst Britain's first national museums' and not 'among Britain's first national museums'

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 05:16
I would also go for parallelism, and therefore eliminate A,B and E. Between the two remaining answers, I would chose D because, in my ears, "Support from" sounds better than "Support of".

My final answer is: D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 09:05
I narrowed it down to A and D as "Britain’s First National Museums" doesn't make sense.
Chose A, because "among the first of" sounded kind of weird in D.
However there are a lot of things which are being tested here like "support of/support from" , parallelism etc.

Really tough problem and there is no proper explanation too in the posts.
Can some SC champ explain why D is correct?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 11:07
Answer is D.

...to seek...to increase makes is parallel

from is idiomatic term
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GRE 1: 1600 Q800 V800
GRE 2: 1600 Q800 V800
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 76 [2] , given: 2

Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 01:25
This post received
KUDOS
I think that all of the critical issues have been mentioned, but as catfreak suggests, we don't yet have a neat account of how an expert test-taker might approach this question. So let me try. Just so that you don't have to go back to page one, here's the text again:

Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the Victoria and Albert Museum was one of the first of Britain’s national museums seeking support from corporations and private donors and to increase income by increasing attendance.

The Manhattan GMAT approach relies heavily on spotting differences among the answer choices, we ask our students to "scan vertically, and look for splits." But some signals reliably indicate particular grammatical problems, even before those problems show up in the splits. Chief among these signals are parallel markers such as and, but, and or.

When we see parallel markers in an SC question, even outside of the underlined section, we should ask what elements are meant to be joined by them, that is, what elements are logically comparable. Then we should eliminate answers in which those logically comparable elements are not structurally similar.

In this sentence, the first and joins corporations and private donors. That's fine, and since neither of those elements is underlined, there's no issue here. The second and joins the infinitive to increase income... to some earlier element. The only logically comparable earlier element is seeking support..., so that element must also be an infinitive, to seek support.... Eliminate A, B, and E.

That leaves just C and D. Before we go into their differences I want to acknowledge that even a very good test-taker might well rely primarily on her ear to make this choice, because the rules we'll need to invoke are subtle, but C may just sound much worse to some good test-takers.

There are two difference between C and D: (1) among Britain’s first national museums vs among the first of Britain’s national museums, (2) to seek support of vs to seek support from. Both of these splits favor D over C.

(1) Among Britain’s first national museums vs among the first of Britain’s national museums: The GMAT often prefers a phrase such as stone wall (noun-adjective + noun) to a phrase such as wall of stone (noun + prepositional phrase), but the present sentence falls under a rule MGMAT calls "Keep the Prepositional Phrase if You Need To." Catchy name, huh? If you have our SC Strategy Guide, check out page 211 for more info. This sentence isn't really a paradigm example of any standard reason to keep the preposition. My main reason to prefer D here is that we know immediately what it means. Since of Britain's national museums is merely a modifier here, we know right away that the Victoria and Albert Museum was among the first to do something, even before we read what that something was. In C, by contrast, it appears as though The Victoria and Albert Museum is simply among Britain’s first national museums , at least until we reach the infinitive.

(2) (2) to seek support of vs to seek support from : mundasingh123 writes that somewhere in the WWW he found the claim that support of is followed by the thing being supported, while support from is followed by the source of support. He's right. Or the web is right, I guess. There's a little more to it than that, but I don't know that you need that little bit more for the GMAT. Anyway, here goes. Sentences of these forms are all OK:
(A) support from+supporters
The proposed contract won support from both the union leadership and the board of directors.
(B)the support of+supporters
The proposed contract won the support of both the union leadership and the board of directors. This structure require the article the.
(C)in support of+supported
The union president spoke in support of the proposed contract.

I try not to worry about idioms that haven't been tested before. Is this an actual GMAT question? It certainly feels like one, but I didn't see any note about its provenance.

Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 09:50
Kudos MichaelS. The explanation is as perfect as your scores.
Thanks a lot.

MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 09:59
alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
lgon wrote:

Note the "to increase" part after and
Victoria and Albert Museum was first to X .... and to increase......

D for me

good catch on the parallelism... i missed that there. :D

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Manager
Manager
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 10:38
The answer should be D, seeking support from
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses

Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 11:19
MichaelS wrote:
I think that all of the critical issues have been mentioned, but as catfreak suggests, we don't yet have a neat account of how an expert test-taker might approach this question. So let me try. Just so that you don't have to go back to page one, here's the text again:

The Manhattan GMAT approach relies heavily on spotting differences among the answer choices, we ask our students to "scan vertically, and look for splits." But some signals reliably indicate particular grammatical problems, even before those problems show up in the splits. Chief among these signals are parallel markers such as and, but, and or.

When we see parallel markers in an SC question, even outside of the underlined section, we should ask what elements are meant to be joined by them, that is, what elements are logically comparable. Then we should eliminate answers in which those logically comparable elements are not structurally similar.

In this sentence, the first and joins corporations and private donors. That's fine, and since neither of those elements is underlined, there's no issue here. The second and joins the infinitive to increase income... to some earlier element. The only logically comparable earlier element is seeking support..., so that element must also be an infinitive, to seek support.... Eliminate A, B, and E.

That leaves just C and D. Before we go into their differences I want to acknowledge that even a very good test-taker might well rely primarily on her ear to make this choice, because the rules we'll need to invoke are subtle, but C may just sound much worse to some good test-takers.

There are two difference between C and D: (1) among Britain’s first national museums vs among the first of Britain’s national museums, (2) to seek support of vs to seek support from. Both of these splits favor D over C.

(1) Among Britain’s first national museums vs among the first of Britain’s national museums: The GMAT often prefers a phrase such as stone wall (noun-adjective + noun) to a phrase such as wall of stone (noun + prepositional phrase), but the present sentence falls under a rule MGMAT calls "Keep the Prepositional Phrase if You Need To." Catchy name, huh? If you have our SC Strategy Guide, check out page 211 for more info. This sentence isn't really a paradigm example of any standard reason to keep the preposition. My main reason to prefer D here is that we know immediately what it means. Since of Britain's national museums is merely a modifier here, we know right away that the Victoria and Albert Museum was among the first to do something, even before we read what that something was. In C, by contrast, it appears as though The Victoria and Albert Museum is simply among Britain’s first national museums , at least until we reach the infinitive.

(2) (2) to seek support of vs to seek support from : mundasingh123 writes that somewhere in the WWW he found the claim that support of is followed by the thing being supported, while support from is followed by the source of support. He's right. Or the web is right, I guess. There's a little more to it than that, but I don't know that you need that little bit more for the GMAT. Anyway, here goes. Sentences of these forms are all OK:
The proposed contract won support from both the union leadership and the board of directors.
The proposed contract won the support of both the union leadership and the board of directors. This structure require the article the.

I try not to worry about idioms that haven't been tested before. Is this an actual GMAT question? It certainly feels like one, but I didn't see any note about its provenance.

very useful info! thank you very much... especially the idiomatic usage of 'support'.

Brandon Hoffman

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 23:00
lgon wrote:

For me B,C and E was wrong from the begining as the last part of it support of is incorrect. So now I am left with A nd D. A is incorrect as the sentence construction is wordy and also the sentence should begin with the word among.

So D is the correct answer.
Current Student

Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 23:16
among the first vs one of the first?

Why does it have to be among? I didnt see that as a split and dont know if it has to be. I thought the other factors are what determined the right answer here. Any one have the grammar rule?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Brandon Hoffman

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: McCombs '14

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 03:19
lgon wrote:

Split 3- 2
to seek support from - correct : Option A, option D --> D makes sense ("to seek ||al to to increase)
to seek support of - incorrect
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: support of/support from [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 23:00
MichaelS wrote:

Fantastic explanation for the questions. Didnt know that you need an article "the" with "support of". Thanks Micheal.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 22:22
D for me.

Michael S does a great job explaining - or at least a better job that I can.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 06:55
+1 Kudos for MichaelS' explanation. Made it really clear after. And I referred back to the MG pg 211 and it was a good refresher.

One thing I don't get is why something like population density is wrong on the GMAT. Usually in Science (and I am a biologist) we use the phrase "population density" all the time and it would never strike me that the Honeybee population density would be less preferable to "the density of the Honeybee population". Seems like you have to first unlearn before you begin to learn.

The only reason I bring it up is because I have seen at least one question in the OG that refers to population density.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 00:48
support from is correct idiom and
A.one of the.....but it is talking of the two museums.
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 75

Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 11:20

Correct the following:-
to seek || with to increase
support from

(D) among the first of Britain’s national museums to seek support from winner meaning is perfect too.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 12:16
I think D is the best answer, because "to seek" is parallel to "to increase".
Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2012, 12:16