Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: IE- ESCP - Warwick
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: SC 85/1000 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 00:02
I really like those 1000 SC questions, I believe it is really good to practice. But why the hell is there sometimes no OA?! It makes it even more confusing...

I believe each person who posts a problem should provide the OA within it, should be one the the forum rule :-)

I go for C, as for me the correct idiom is "support of" I might be wrong... It would be interesting to know the difference between support "from" and "of" .

Corporation are something and private donors are someone so it is very confusing.

In addition C also keep the parallelism on my opinion.

OA please
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: SC 85/1000 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 05:27
The answer cannot be option C because (C) among Britain’s first national museums to seek support of..distorts the intended meaning. According to the question, the museum was the first museum in Britain to seek support and...options C tells us that it was among Britain's first national museums. Being Britain's first national museum has nothing to do with the first national museum to seek support from...
so IMO D
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 109

Re: SC 85/1000 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 22:45
+1 D

An infinitive is parallel only with other infinitive.
Support from is used when the subject receives the support.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: SC 85/1000 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 06:11
IMO also D
Becuase of parallel construction "to seek ..... to increase" and ears feel that right way of saying is to seek help from.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: SC 85/1000 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 09:38
Although D looks little wordy. It is the correct choice. The only close competition with D is C that is out because of "support of".

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 300 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 23:28
+1 E
II-ism issue, d maintains it correctly.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 10:04
THe OA for this one is D, guys. You are all correct.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 280

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 06:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2014, 06:28