Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 15:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although migraine headaches are believed to be caused by

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Although migraine headaches are believed to be caused by [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 01:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:27) correct 33% (00:00) wrong based on 6 sessions
Although migraine headaches are believed to be caused by food allergies, putting patients on diets that eliminate those foods to which the patients have been demonstrated to have allergic migraine reactions frequently does not stop headaches. Obviously, some other cause of migraine headaches besides food allergies much exist.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the conclusion above?

(A) Many common foods elicit an allergic response only after several days, making it very difficult to observe links between specific foods patients eat and headaches they develop.
(B) Food allergies affect many people who never develop the symptom of migraine headaches.
(C) Many patients report that the foods that cause them migraine headaches are among the foods that they most enjoy eating.
(D) Very few patients have allergic migraine reactions as children live migraine-free adult lives once they have eliminated from their diets foods to which they have been demonstrated to be allergic.
(E) Very rarely do food allergies cause patients to suffer a symptom more severe than that of migraine
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 01:50
I'll go with C...

A seems to be close but we need migraine to be involved in the answer..

To Strive, To Seek and Not to Yield

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 03:09
A it is. 1.5 min
A) the mention of "headaches" is inclusive of migraines to me. If it can take several days before the headaches to appear, then how can we blame migraines to some other causes than food allergies?
B) We are interested in those people who DO develop migraine headaches
C) out of scope. Should they enjoy that food or not, we are interested in the effects of consuming such food
D) out of scope. We are not interested in the immunity of certain adults vis-a-vis migraine.
E) again, no mention of how food allergies might be the sole cause of migraine

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 03:44
OA with Xplanation please......

To Strive, To Seek and Not to Yield

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 03:57
Between (A) and (D).

(D) looks like a strong contender, I wonder why Paul marked this choice as Out Of Scope. To me it is very much with in the scope. Choice (D) shows that it takes a very long time for a person to observe the results of being on diet (restraining foods that causing allergy)!

But the same fact is clearly stated in (A), so I guess (A) would be best and (D) should be next best.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 04:19
Well, D might be confusing at best. What we are trying to find is an answer that would justify food poisoning as the sole cause of migraines or that will cast some doubt in the result of the research.

D says that those adults who now eliminated the foods that make them have migraine will no longer have migraine. However, will eating the same food to which they were allergic make them have migraines? Perhaps yes because those people are only migraine free because they don't eat those types of food anymore. Perhaps no and this will strengthen the conclusion as there IS some cause other than food poisoning to migraine headaches. This is really inconclusive to me. Furthermore, to complicate matters even more, D says that very few patients do not get migraines anymore. This means that most people do get migraines even though they eliminated those types of food from their diet. Now, you see how this is getting really complicated without getting straight to the point as A does.

A nicely casts some doubt in the research by saying the research method used is unappropriate since we cannot know exactly when the food poisoning will develop into migraines and this will render the conclusion invalid

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 04:29
Well Paul: I somehow differ on the opinion,

in GMAT CR (IMO) we take what is given in the sentence, I mean making future predictions won't be correct here, so I won't presume that in future what will happen if they eat the same food again, the fact that they were relieved by not eating a particular food dips the direction a bit towards the required answer.
But as I said (D) is strong but (A) more direct. Just to be sure my understanding is correct (D) imo is not OOS (Out of Scope)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 06:43
OA is A

My explanations:

Although some foods to which the patients HAVE BEEN DEMONSTRATED to be allergic have been eliminated form the diet, the diet may still contain food which CAN CAUSE MIGRAINE but which WAS NOT LINKED TO THE MIGRAINE due to the difficulties mentioned in A

So A suggests a possibility that undermines the claim that there is some other cause for migraine headaches
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 07:40
Straightforward A. Nice explanation OlegC.

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'r gonna get"

[#permalink] 28 Jul 2004, 07:40