Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Nov 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 32

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 22:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

43% (02:21) correct 57% (00:33) wrong based on 39 sessions
Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than it had in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

(A) it had in its previous campaigns
(B) its previous campaigns had had
(C) It had for any previous campaign
(D) In its previous campaigns
(E) for any previous campaign

OA after some discussion.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1305

Kudos [?]: 3711 [2] , given: 189

Re: Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

Let’s stick to the official question that reads:

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than they had in their previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Error Analysis:

1. Plural pronoun “they” does not agree in number with singular “army”.
2. This sentence compares “supplies” with “army”. This is not logical.

PoE:

(A) they had in their previous campaigns: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

(B) their previous campaigns had had: Incorrect.
1. Repeats the pronoun error of choice A.
2. “supplies” has been compared with “their previous campaigns”.

(C) they had for any previous campaign: Incorrect. Repeats all the errors of choice A.

(D) in their previous campaigns: Incorrect. Plural pronoun “their” does not agree in number with singular “army”.

(E) for any previous campaign: Correct. The structure here is: …far more supplies than (supplies) for any previous campaign…

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
Re: Although Napoleon's army [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 23:21
Jp27 wrote:
Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than it had in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

A Correct
B Usage of past perfect doesn't make sense as event not related. Sequence of events need not be described.
C Changing the scope
D Supplies compared with campaigns
E same as C
OA please
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 270

Kudos [?]: 1725 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Although Napoleon's army [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 02:10
Expert's post
This is the modified version of the OG topic, given below.

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than they had in their previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

(A) they had in their previous campaigns
(B) their previous campaigns had had
(C) they had for any previous campaign
(D) in their previous campaigns

The correct answer for the above original version is E, which is indisputable, because it is OG’s OA.

In the new version all the plural pronouns have been changed to singular pronouns. But still the OG’s correct answer namely E remains, since both choices are verbatim the same. The other choices are null and void, since no GMAT questions will have two correct answers.

But to go deep into the topic, this is a question of comparisons. More supplies are being compared with the army in A and C, campaigns in B. The comparison should be from campaign to campaign. It cannot be between the Russian campaign on one hand and all the campaigns put together on the other hand. This is like saying Simla apple has more nutrients than in other apples, an unequal comparison.So, D is gone. This leaves us with E, where campaign to campaign is compared.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Although Napoleon's army [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 07:08
Jp27 wrote:

(A) it had in its previous campaigns it,is Russia the antecedent or army?
(B) its previous campaigns had had its,what is the antecedent?
(C) It had for any previous campaign it,is Russia the antecedent or army?
(D) In its previous campaigns its,what is the antecedent?
(E) for any previous campaign correct

I think the answer is E. oops just read the post. OA is E. Cool!!. But bummed that I had a completely different viewpoint of looking at it.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 01:10
Jp27 wrote:

Although i have gone through all of the explanations but i'm still not getting it,,,kindly help me out in much more simpler terms I would appreciate it,,
Thank U in advance
VP
VP
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 450 [0], given: 455

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although Napoleon's army [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 00:50
daagh wrote:
This is the modified version of the OG topic, given below.

(A) they had in their previous campaigns
(B) their previous campaigns had had
(C) they had for any previous campaign
(D) in their previous campaigns

The correct answer for the above original version is E, which is indisputable, because it is OG’s OA.

In the new version all the plural pronouns have been changed to singular pronouns. But still the OG’s correct answer namely E remains, since both choices are verbatim the same. The other choices are null and void, since no GMAT questions will have two correct answers.

But to go deep into the topic, this is a question of comparisons. More supplies are being compared with the army in A and C, campaigns in B. The comparison should be from campaign to campaign. It cannot be between the Russian campaign on one hand and all the campaigns put together on the other hand. This is like saying Simla apple has more nutrients than in other apples, an unequal comparison.So, D is gone. This leaves us with E, where campaign to campaign is compared.

I'm not a fan of this modified OG problem. Anyways, I fail to understand your reasoning behind the highlighted portion.
I think it is supplies vs supplies here.
Can you please elaborate.
VP
VP
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 450 [0], given: 455

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 07:41
egmat wrote:
Hi there,

Error Analysis:

PoE:

(A) they had in their previous campaigns: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

(C) they had for any previous campaign: Incorrect. Repeats all the errors of choice A.

(D) in their previous campaigns: Incorrect. Plural pronoun “their” does not agree in number with singular “army”.

(E) for any previous campaign: Correct. The structure here is: …far more supplies than (supplies) for any previous campaign…

Thanks.
Shraddha

Shraddha,

I understand why E is correct because of the pronoun issue. I'm still not comfortable with the comparison issue in A.

Let me elaborate a bit more:

If I re-write this sentence as:

I don't see any error in the above.
Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than (supplies) it had in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Isn't supply understood here?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 44

Re: Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 18:26
egmat wrote:
Hi there,

Error Analysis:

PoE:

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,y
I too agree with your choice for that official question..

But in the question posted here dosn't have any pronoun error at at ll....

Then why not D for me?

Please correct me if im wrong...

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 136

Re: Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 22:32
Shradha,
I concur below remarks.. I don't see any comparison issue in the original statement. Ellipsis is playing its part.

Let me clarify a bit more. An example -

Apple sold fewer iphones this year than apple sold iphones last year.
Meaning- We are comparing Sales of iphone this year vs Sales of iphone last year

IS AS GOOD AS -
Apple sold fewer iphones this year than last year.
Meaning- We are comparing Sales of iphone this year vs Sales of iphone last year Rather than this year vs Last year. This sentence is perfectly fine.

If we go with your approach, then we are comparing iphones with last year, which is incorrect.

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than it had[supplies] in its previous campaigns - Supplies is understood

Please let me know if I am missing something.

jumsumtak wrote:

Shraddha,

I understand why E is correct because of the pronoun issue. I'm still not comfortable with the comparison issue in A.

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than [u] it had in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than (supplies) it had in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 32

Re: Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 22:38
imhimanshu wrote:
Shradha,
I concur below remarks.. I don't see any comparison issue in the original statement. Ellipsis is playing its part.

Meaning- We are comparing Sales of iphone this year vs Sales of iphone last year

IS AS GOOD AS -
Meaning- We are comparing Sales of iphone this year vs Sales of iphone last year Rather than this year vs Last year. This sentence is perfectly fine.

If we go with your approach, then we are comparing iphones with last year, which is incorrect.

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than it had[supplies] in its previous campaigns - Supplies is understood

jumsumtak wrote:

Shraddha,

Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more supplies than [u] it had in its previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

Just my opinion, please correct me if you feel something is wrong.

Ellipsis comes into play when there is exact parallelism. See this question for example : between-1925-and-1935-5-million-of-the-10-million-houses-141766.html#p1139646

In this case there is no such parallelism marker here.....
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 562

Re: Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 03:16
imhimanshu wrote:
Shradha,

IS AS GOOD AS -

jumsumtak wrote:

Shraddha,

shradha / e gmat

I also don't think there's any parallelism issue here.. Could u please clarify..

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Re: Although Napoleon's army entered Russia with far more   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2013, 03:16