Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:54

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: France [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 02:34
B

Posted from my mobile device Image

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 21

Re: France [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 00:38
After reading everyone explanation, i find B is correct one, even i chosen D as Answer. thanks to everyone
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: France [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 01:57
Modifier issue.
"at a comprable rate" is not clearly modifying any sentence.

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 27

Re: France [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 23:00
The only problem with the original statement is "their" which is ambiguous in it's reference.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 21

Re: France [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 02:28
A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their (comparing people with United States- Wrong
(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the (Sound ok)
(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their wrong comparison
(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the (Who is consuming ? / Death rates of what- not clear)
(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the (rate of people---- It can only in numbers not in rate ..confused author :) )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 05:07
Quote:
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their
(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their
(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the

Modifiers are king on the GMAT. An ability to recognize misplaced modifiers is key to overcoming the recent meaning-centered Sentence Correction questions on the "revised" GMAT, for modifiers and meaning go hand in hand. This means that the more comfortable you are with modifiers, the less active/conscious effort you have to make in understanding the intended meaning of a given SC question.

A) Wrong because a rate (at which people in France consume fatty foods) is being compared to a country (United States)
B) Correct. A comparable item (rate) is being compared between two groups. Correct comparison of like versus like.
C) Wrong Because rate is being compared to an ambiguous item, the United States' something (what exactly? United States' people? United States' rate?) Also, note that saying that "fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to .... is not as correct as saying "fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a rate comparable to ...). "Their" seems to refer to fatty foods or people....another error.
D) Wrong Modifier Error. You can't say "the rate of fatty foods...."; you can say "the rate of consumption...". Note that the "consumed in France...." in "the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States" is only a modifier that is modifying "fatty foods", and this bring us back to why you can't say "the rate of fatty foods [(a noun (phrase) like (fatty) foods cannot be measured by a rate; however a noun like consumption can)] consumed in France and the United States (modifier of fatty foods)"
E) Wrong Another Modifier Error. "the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States". You can't say "The rate of people" since "consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States" is merely modifying the noun "people" or "rate of people". The latter is illogical since a "rate (of people or of anything else)" cannot physically consume fatty foods

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 22:21
OldFritz wrote:
D) Wrong Modifier Error. You can't say "the rate of fatty foods...."; you can say "the rate of consumption...". Note that the "consumed in France...." in "the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States" is only a modifier that is modifying "fatty foods", and this bring us back to why you can't say "the rate of fatty foods [(a noun (phrase) like (fatty) foods cannot be measured by a rate; however a noun like consumption can)] consumed in France and the United States (modifier of fatty foods)"

I felt like saying "Nein Nein Nein" (Courtesy: Der Untergang)

The rate of fatty foods consumed is not a wrong expression. I feel the main problem with this option was that it replaces "People" with a generalization. So, the rate of which people were consuming now CHANGED MEANING to the country as a whole consuming more fatty foods. For e.g. lets say the original meaning was meant for people, in option D you can include everything under the sun (people, animals, birds, politicians..etc.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 00:24
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
OldFritz wrote:

I felt like saying "Nein Nein Nein" (Courtesy: Der Untergang)

The rate of fatty foods consumed is not a wrong expression. I feel the main problem with this option was that it replaces "People" with a generalization. So, the rate of which people were consuming now CHANGED MEANING to the country as a whole consuming more fatty foods. For e.g. lets say the original meaning was meant for people, in option D you can include everything under the sun (people, animals, birds, politicians..etc.)

I am afraid I have to insist that "the rate of fatty foods consumed...." is wrong, because you can't say "the rate of fatty foods"; the phrase, "consumed in France etc," which follows "fatty foods," merely modifies the latter.

As a further illustration, consider the following:

1) The rate of water consumed by Anatolians is high. (Wrong)
2) The volume of water consumed by Anatolians iis high. (Correct)

In the first example, you have something similar to the error in "the rate of fatty foods consumed," a mistake in meaning already discussed above.
The second example is clear/correct, because water can indeed be measured in volume, but not in rate.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

Last edited by OldFritz on 21 Aug 2012, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 00:36
OK. If you look at it that way maybe you are right because you can't consume RATE, rather you can only consume the object that RATE is describing.

Another problem I just noticed with this answer choice is the tense.

the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same.

The above is of the form X and Y is about the same. It should be X and Y are about the same.
In this case X and Y are not parallel.

The correct answer B eliminates the problem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 00:44
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
Another problem I just noticed with this answer choice is the tense.

the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same.

The above is of the form X and Y is about the same. It should be X and Y are about the same.
In this case X and Y are not parallel.

The correct answer B eliminates the problem.

I am afraid that I have to point out another erroneous item. First of all, I don't think you meant to say "tense" (which refers to time an action is performed). Tense is not the same as the singular/plural concept (aka Subject/Verb agreement)

In the above example, "The rate of fatty foods..." is a singular noun phrase, so it must match with the singular (auxiliary) verb "is," and NOT "are," as you erroneously pointed out in your faux parallelism analysis. Hope this helps. Feedback welcome, sir.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 00:47
And oh, where is my kudos, sir? (Assuming you find what I wrote useful...)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 07:35
A good question. This is one of the more frequently seen types on SC wherein the comparison setup in the statements is wrong. Once one understands that is is the people that are being compared and not the rates or countries then reaching the answer B is a lot more easier.

My attempt to capture my B-School Journey in a Blog : tranquilnomadgmat.blogspot.com

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 291

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 01:40
So we have to choose between incorrect comparison and incorrect idioms, what do we choose? B or D
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q V
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2014, 07:47
I went for D while solving the question.... after reading the explanation the answer seems to be B ... still i am a bit confused regarding the concept of " rate of fatty acid consumed"... y is it wrong...
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '16
GPA: 3.07
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2014, 12:26
B is the right answer
It makes the most sense and is free from error.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 138

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2014, 22:24
cruiser wrote:
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their
(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their
(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the

2/3 split "the" and "their". "their" will make readers confused between people in France and the US -> the is correct
B, D, E are remained. The rate of food or rate of people is incorrect, should be the rate of consuming food. So B is correct.

Hope it's clear!

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 326

CAT Tests
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2014, 00:33
This post received
KUDOS
cruiser wrote:

Meaning: People in France consumes at a similar rate compared to people in US, the death rate of people in US is far lower than that of France.

Comparison error -> Incorrect
-> Looks good.
Only issue I can find is voice is changed. Is there any other error?

rate is consumed? Not correct "Rate at which" would be better

rate of people -> Changes the meaning. The original sentence said people in both countries are consuming fatty food at a similar rate. This sentence says rate of people is same in both the countries.

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful
Linkedin Handle : https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=116231592

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3669 [1] , given: 185

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2014, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kinjiGC wrote:
cruiser wrote:

Meaning: People in France consumes at a similar rate compared to people in US, the death rate of people in US is far lower than that of France.

-> Looks good.

rate of people -> Changes the meaning. The original sentence said people in both countries are consuming fatty food at a similar rate. This sentence says rate of people is same in both the countries.

Hi kinjiGC,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

Your analysis of this question looks pretty good. Keep up the good work. :-)

There is just one point that I want to add here. Use of "their" is not correct in Choices A and C. The pronoun "their" in both the choices seems to refer to the "people in France". This reference certainly makes the latter part of the sentence illogical.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 20

CAT Tests
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 04:24
cruiser wrote:

A : wrong comparison < People in France compared with US >
B : Correct
C : use of apostrophe S is wrong, Parallelism in structure although X, Y wrong
D : Passive construction
E : Meaning distorted

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 23

Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2014, 12:11
egmat wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
cruiser wrote:

-> Looks good.

Hi kinjiGC,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

Your analysis of this question looks pretty good. Keep up the good work. :-)

There is just one point that I want to add here. Use of "their" is not correct in Choices A and C. The pronoun "their" in both the choices seems to refer to the "people in France". This reference certainly makes the latter part of the sentence illogical.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

Hi e-gmat,

Question for D -- why is the meaning wrong? Doesn't it literally mean -- "(rate of) the consumption of fatty foods" -- isn't that what we want?

Thanks!
Re: Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2014, 12:11