Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 19:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:46) correct 39% (00:48) wrong based on 654 sessions
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their
(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their
(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: France [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 20:49
cruiser wrote:
Although people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their death rates from heart disease are far lower in France.

A. people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their
B. people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
C. fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their
D. the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
E. the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the

I say D. But its btwn D or E. I think we can elim anything with the use of "their" (AC) and elim B b/c we are comparing rates not people.

I think its D over E b/c the rate of people compared to the death rate

vs. the rate of fatty foods consumed vs. the death rates

D just seems more logical.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 22:14
A - bad comparison.
B - suggests they eat at the same pace, and not consume in the same quantity
C - 'their' points to the wrong precedent
E - 'rate of people' is awkward

D is best.
Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 23:32
Between B and D, I pciked B.
I feel D would have been better like
"the rate of fatty foods consumed is about the same in France and the United States , the
What is the OA for this?
11 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [11] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: France [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 23:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I think it's B

A. people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their (wrong compaerison=>OUT)
B. people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the (OK)
C. fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their (awkward and passive construction=>OUT)
D. the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the (how it can be the rate of fatty foods??? The rate of consumption is right, so=>OUT)
E. the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the (the same as D=>OUT)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 01:15
I'm going for B. Would like to see the OA. :-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 04:45
Thanks Guys.
I had picked D as the asnwer.

OA is B.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

Re: France [#permalink] New post 27 May 2009, 03:51
Vlad77 wrote:
I think it's B

A. people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their (wrong compaerison=>OUT)
B. people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the (OK)
C. fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their (awkward and passive construction=>OUT)
D. the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the (how it can be the rate of fatty foods??? The rate of consumption is right, so=>OUT)
E. the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the (the same as D=>OUT)

I too was thinking the answer is D. coz of the construction Although the rate.... the rate. but after reading the first half again .... 'the rate ..... consumed' doesnt sound right. so i guess B is the only option.

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who
==============================================

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [2] , given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: France [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 06:55
This post received
KUDOS
I think the confusion happens when you try to parallel rate of fatty food consumption to rate of deaths. There is no need to make them parallel. If you try to do so, you will run into the problem that rate and rates are not parallel.
Only A and B are contenders, because C, D, and E are all passive.
A is really $%#ed up. It's comparing people in France to the U.S., instead of people in france to people in the U.S.
B was my pick. Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: France [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 07:54
Vlad77 wrote:
I think it's B

Guess you have given the perfect ans.....thanks and +1 for you
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 32

Re: France [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 02:58
Nice explanation by Vlad77

- Ravi
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: France [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 05:52
Vlad77 wrote:
I think it's B

Hi,

Even i thought it to be D, but now with this explaination, it seems quite clear why it should be B. Thanks for this...

+1 to you.

Regds
Soany

A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to take a turn.....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: France [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 13:12
It should be B, there is no mention of people in D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: France [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 22:58
It is B. The subject should be People and NOT rates. This leaves A and B choices open. But in A people are getting compared to United states. So the answer choice left is B.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: France [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 04:57
For me in B we are comparing "People in France" and "the US". In order to B be correct, for me it should be: "Although people in France and in the US, bla bla bla"

Please clarify this.
i dont see the correct || in B.
thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

Re: France [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 09:09
I fell for D, but B is the answer. if we dont focus we'll lose the battle :(
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: France [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
cruiser wrote:

(A) people in France consume fatty foods at a rate comparable to the United States, their
(B) people in France and the United States consume fatty foods at about the same rate, the
(C) fatty foods are consumed by people in France at a comparable rate to the United States’s, their
(D) the rate of fatty foods consumed in France and the United States is about the same, the
(E) the rate of people consuming fatty foods is about the same in France and the United States, the

B is the answer.
We can safely eliminate answer choices A and C because of the use of "their" in place of "the".
A- Incorrect because of illogical comparision and the use of "their" which is plainly wrong. Rate is wrongly compared to United States.
C- Incorrect for two reasons: the use of passive voice and the use of "their".
D and E are talking about the rate. It should be "people consuming fatty foods at a rate". Who consumes the fatty food in those coutries? People or animals? see the whole meaning changes.
B coorectly uses the principles of comparison.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: France [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 09:34
noboru wrote:
For me in B we are comparing "People in France" and "the US". In order to B be correct, for me it should be: "Although people in France and in the US, bla bla bla"

Please clarify this.
i dont see the correct || in B.
thanks.

Ok. I will try my best to clarify your doubts.
This is what we call Ellipsis. In this sentence, we can safely omit the preposition "in" before "the
United States" because the same preposition "in" appears before France and the United States. In these types of situations, you should try to break the sentence into two parts:
"Although people in France and the United States consume.... "can be broken down into the following two part:
Although people in France consume and Although people in United Staes consume...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: France [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 11:52
My first answer was D but now I am convinced its B...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: France [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2011, 10:42
A is wrong for bad comparison.
B is correct
C is wrong for awkward construction.
D and E are unidiomatic ( the rate at which fatty acids... is idiomatic)
Re: France   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2011, 10:42