Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:10

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 11:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:09) correct 30% (01:05) wrong based on 61 sessions
Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate in September, analysts said that the increase resulted mostly from temporary factors and not necessarily foreshadowing that there would be a resurgence of inflation.

A. factors and not necessarily foreshadowing that there would be
B. factors and not necessarily that it foreshadowed
C. factors and did not necessarily foreshadow
D. factors, while not necessarily a foreshadowing of
E. factors, while it did not necessarily foreshadow that there would be
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: GWD #20 V1 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 11:49
I have a question regarding C.

I picked B although I doubted it because I thought that "that" was needed before "did not".

Isn't it possible to see C in a way that analyst said that X and did not foreshadow without "that"? ( even though it doesn't make sense;;)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: GWD #20 V1 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 01:05
eybrj2 wrote:
Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate in September, analysts said that the increase resulted mostly from temporary factors and not necessarily foreshadowing that there would be a resurgence of inflation.

Here's my two cents.

I think you misunderstood the meaning of the sentence.
The blue one is the subject, and the red ones need to be parallel.

Although producer prices rose at an unexpectedly steep rate in September, analysts said that the increase [resulted mostly from temporary factors] and [not necessarily foreshadowing that there would be a resurgence of inflation.]

It's not the analysts doing the foreshadowing but the increase

Luck is the additional surplus on the way to one's constant effort.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1243

Kudos [?]: 3436 [1] , given: 183

Re: GWD #20 V1 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi All,

The sentence is not written in a clear way to state the meaning of the sentence very clearly. The sentence says that producer prices rose at an unexpected steep rate in September. However, analysts said two things:
a. the increase resulted mostly from temporary factors, and
b. the increase did not necessarily foreshadow a resurgence of inflation.

Error Analysis

1. There is list here that has two entities, “resulted” and “foreshadowing”. These entities are not parallel. Since “resulted” fall into the non-underlined portion of the sentence, we need to make “foreshadowing” parallel to that.
2. The way the sentence has been written, it creates meaning error. We need to remove conjunction “that” to make the entities clear in the list.

POE:

Choice A: factors and not necessarily foreshadowing that there would be: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

Choice B: factors and not necessarily that it foreshadowed: Incorrect. This choice changes the intended list in the sentence that also changes the meaning of the sentence.
i. The intended list per the sentence: Analysts said that the increase resulted from…, and did not foreshadow…

ii. The list per this choice: Analysts said that the increase resulted from… and (analysts said) not necessarily that it foreshadowed…

Per the original list, the analysts said both the things about the result. But per the list per this choice, analysts said that increase resulted from something but they necessarily did nit that increase foreshadowed something.

Choice C: factors and did not necessarily foreshadow: Correct. The two entities in the list “resulted” and “did not foreshadow” are parallel.

Choice D: factors, while not necessarily a foreshadowing of: Incorrect. Again “resulted” and “foreshadowing” are not parallel.

Choice E: factors, while it did not necessarily foreshadow that there would be: Incorrect. “that there would be…” leads to ambiguity in the meaning of the sentence.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 18

Re: GWD #20 V1 [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 23:16
eybrj2 wrote:

i pick C. A and B are out for parallelism. in my point point of view, in D 2nd clause is a fragment. option E is totally wordy
please correct me if I am wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Re: GWD #20 V1   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2012, 23:16