Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although she had been known as an effective legislator first

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 11

Although she had been known as an effective legislator first [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 16:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:09) correct 34% (01:32) wrong based on 188 sessions
Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later
in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan’s participation in
the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in 1974 was she made a

nationally recognized figure, as it was televised nationwide.

A. later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan’s
participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in
1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was
B. later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not
become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were
C. later in the Untied States House of Representatives, it was not until 1974 that
Barbara Jordan became a nationally recognized figure, with her participation in
the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was
D. then also later in the United States House of Representatives, not until 1974 did
Barbara Jordan become a nationally recognized figure, as she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, being
E. then also later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did
not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was

Not convinced by the oa. I think something is missing. Can some correct me if i have the right sc here. Apologies if i dont.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: Although she had been known as an effective legislator [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 01:03
I picked B just because the others are wrong.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Although she had been known as an effective legislator [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 01:31
i got confused between B and C here but after looking at the oa was able to chuck out C . Find inline the reason.

ajit257 wrote:
Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later
in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan’s participation in
the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in 1974 was she made a

A. later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan’s
1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was --this is a run-on, consider in parts-> she had been known as effective legislator ...not untill barbara jordan's ..
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were-- hearing were televised nationwise--> correct
C. later in the Untied States House of Representatives, it was not until 1974 that
the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was--it seems as if the participation was televised whereas the sentences intends to suggest tat the hearings were televised
D. then also later in the United States House of Representatives, not until 1974 did
Barbara Jordan become a nationally recognized figure, as she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, being--First in and later in have to be parallel , so this option is out.
E. then also later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did
not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was--First in and later in have to be parallel , so this option is out.

Not convinced by the oa. I think something is missing. Can some correct me if i have the right sc here. Apologies if i dont.

I hope that helps !

This time , its my time .

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 45

Re: Although she had been known as an effective legislator [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 03:59
in the United States House of Representatives
, not until Barbara Jordan’s participation in

1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were
the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, being
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was

Hi Ajit,
The part of the sentence highlighted in red here acts as a modifier which is supposed to modify a noun. In GMAT it is always preferred to have a modifier and noun close together. Hence Barbara jordan is supposed to immediately follow the clause 'Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later in the United States House of Representatives'. With this our choices will narrow down to B and E. E is wrong due to subject verb disagreement.
Hearings-Plural
Was-Singular
B correctly uses 'were' instead of 'was'.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Although she had been known as an effective legislator [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 06:28
girisshhh84 wrote:
i got confused between B and C here but after looking at the oa was able to chuck out C . Find inline the reason.

ajit257 wrote:

1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was --this is a run-on, consider in parts-> she had been known as effective legislator ...not untill barbara jordan's ..
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were-- hearing were televised nationwise--> correct
the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was--it seems as if the participation was televised whereas the sentences intends to suggest tat the hearings were televised
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, being--First in and later in have to be parallel , so this option is out.
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was--First in and later in have to be parallel , so this option is out.

I hope that helps !

sounds logical.. however, I'm still not quite convinced that whether the use of "which were" here is the best way to go.. the which from "which were" could be as well be refering to two events that appeared in the beginning of the sentence. could any one else please clarify ?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Human Resources, International Business
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 43

Re: Although she had been known as an effective legislator first [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 05:41
I think the underlined statement is till 'as it was'.

Now the options. D and E can be ruled out as there is a parallelism problem. 'First...and later...' is the correct form.

Between A, B and C. I think B is correct.

1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was. Incorrect. Problem with parallelism.

hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were. Correct. “–hearings-which were”

C. later in the United States House of Representatives, it was not until 1974 that
the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was. Incorrect. “–hearings-which was”
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

Re: Although she had been known as an effective legislator first [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2014, 11:30
1) Modification: The opening phrase clearly describes a person, so the person should be placed right after that first comma. Eliminate A, C and D.

2) Verbs: In answers B and E, the last word is either "were" or "was", so we need to know the noun that "controls" this verb. Working back into the sentence, you'll find the noun "hearings"….so we need the verb "were." Eliminate E.

Final Answer:B
Re: Although she had been known as an effective legislator first   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2014, 11:30