Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 23:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although she had been known as an effective legislator first

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Although she had been known as an effective legislator first [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 07:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (01:50) correct 29% (01:01) wrong based on 904 sessions
Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan’s participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in 1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was televised nationwide.

(A) later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan’s participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in 1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was
(B) later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were
(C) later in the Untied States House of Representatives, it was not until 1974 that Barbara Jordan became a nationally recognized figure, with her participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was
(D) then also later in the United States House of Representatives, not until 1974 did Barbara Jordan become a nationally recognized figure, as she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, being
(E) then also later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with B. It avoids the subject-verb error which other sentences have when using "was" with "hearings".

Regards

Subhen

Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 07:47
subhen wrote:
I will go with B. It avoids the subject-verb error which other sentences have when using "was" with "hearings".

Thanks, You are right, B!

I'm wondering why "NOT UNTIL" as in C is not the right answer... Anything remarkable about this idiom, or it's just the problem with the context that "not until" doesn't fit in?
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 07:58
This is a very good conceptual question guys.

OK option B is correct. But llok at "which" in option B> iT doesnt refers to Nixon but "hearings"

This was another question from brutal SC discussed a few days back

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... rs+effects

Moral of the story: : "which" may not refer to the noun that immediately precedes it("which").

Just for all our consumption and please correct me if this is not correct :-D
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 08:03
solidcolor wrote:
subhen wrote:

Thanks, You are right, B!

I'm wondering why "NOT UNTIL" as in C is not the right answer... Anything remarkable about this idiom, or it's just the problem with the context that "not until" doesn't fit in?

Bis fine, but in C the part staring with ..... with... a bit meaningless.
Current Student
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 06 May 2009, 15:17
Can anyone explain this answer?
I agree that which is referring to hearings but which were nationalized figure and then again using it for hearings?
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [3] , given: 10

Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 19:43
This post received
KUDOS
solidcolor wrote:
Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan’s participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in 1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was televised nationwide.

A. later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan’s participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in 1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was

B. later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were

C. later in the Untied States House of Representatives, it was not until 1974 that Barbara Jordan became a nationally recognized figure, with her participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was

D. then also later in the United States House of Representatives, not until 1974 did Barbara Jordan become a nationally recognized figure, as she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, being

E. then also later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was

"Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later in the United States House of Representatives" This modifier should refer to "Barbara Jordan" and therefore "Barbara Jordan" should immediately follow. Therefore A, C and E out. Between B and D, D was is incorrectly referring to hearings. so left with B
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 05:27
I still don't get this. Here is B written out as whole:

Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were nationally recognized figure, as it was televised nationwide.

I don't have an issue with which here. it has to refer to hearings because RN is a person. I have issue with the word figure. How is the "hearings of the impeachement were a nationally recognized figure" ?
Manager
Manager

Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 05:35
I searched for this in another forum and here's a different version:

Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan's participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in 1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was televised nationwide.

This version made more sense to me because the underlining fits properly. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct version?
Intern
Intern

Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 07:19
I went with B. But not sure about the role of which. How can it refer to a set of words instead of referring to just a preceding word? Could someone please explain?

Consider kudos for good explanations.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

Re: [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 07:30
trivikram wrote:
This is a very good conceptual question guys.

OK option B is correct. But llok at "which" in option B> iT doesnt refers to Nixon but "hearings"

This was another question from brutal SC discussed a few days back

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... rs+effects

Moral of the story: : "which" may not refer to the noun that immediately precedes it("which").

Just for all our consumption and please correct me if this is not correct :-D

Exceptions to the Touch Rule
1) A mission-critical modifier falls between:

Right : He had a way OF DODGING OPPONENTS THAT IMPRESSED THE SCOUTS.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 07:52
Nice question.Few things tested.Got it correct too.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 119 [1] , given: 50

Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 16:49
This post received
KUDOS
Went with option B. Learnt quite a bit on this thread :-D

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 11

Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 23:39
solidcolor wrote:

(A) later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan’s participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in 1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was
(B) later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were
(C) later in the Untied States House of Representatives, it was not until 1974 that Barbara Jordan became a nationally recognized figure, with her participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was
(D) then also later in the United States House of Representatives, not until 1974 did Barbara Jordan become a nationally recognized figure, as she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, being
(E) then also later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was

The modifier is modifying Barbara, so eliminate A.
then also later is wordy So eliminate D and E
C has modifier issues.

B is correct
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 23:58
All - Many thanks for the explanation.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 05:49
Somehow, underlined words were different in the daily email than in this posting..that caused confusion..
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 41

Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 06:44
OA and its reasoning is very clear..... i would throw light on spotting error as fast as possible..

1) when confronted with lenthy sentences, split of answers is advisable because it takes time to fix up different dynamics of the lenthy sentences, so with first look itself discard last two options which include then also later.

2) with the leftovers, compare difference parts of the among themselves only without referring to sentence , it will give help you in spotting atleast one or two errors in the given choices which will give you last two choices.

3) now , you can compare two choices and take decision accordingly.

The above approach helps in solving the problem which are lenthy having differenct dynamics to be compared within one sentence.

I thought to share this approach since it helps me in reducing my time to reach to an answer while solving the lenthy SC questions.

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 19:24
I chose B since it had correct modifiers and subject-verb agreement.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 20:20
B

key was which were (B) and which was (C)
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - "not until" [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 17:07
B definitely... her name needs to come in after that second comma... to show who the pronoun "she" belongs to from the first clause.

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Re: SC - "not until"   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2011, 17:07