Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Sep 2016, 23:14
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although some officials noted that using machines for

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Although some officials noted that using machines for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 07:10
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (02:18) correct 48% (01:25) wrong based on 160 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

95.Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.
(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half
(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as cost were cut to half of the previous year’s
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year

I know which answer is correct, however i do not understand the underlying principle. Please explain it to me. Help is much appreciated. Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Abhishek009 on 22 Sep 2016, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted the question
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 123
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 48

Re: Although some officials noted that using machines for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 07:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
Thedevils88 wrote:
95. Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.
(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half
(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as cost were cut to half of the previous year’s
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year

I know which answer is correct, however i do not understand the underlying principle. Please explain it to me. Help is much appreciated. Thanks


I`m stronger on quant than I am on verbal, but see my comments in red below for my take on it. (B) is the only sentence that does not require correction.

(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut to half
(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half of the previous year’s
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while it cut in half the previous year’s costs (bad sentence structure)
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half those of the previous year

Another note is that "as" creates dependency. The cost is not dependent on the yield, it is dependent on the mechanization of farming.
_________________

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: Although some officials noted that using machines for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 07:49
CarlMtl wrote:
Thedevils88 wrote:
95. Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.
(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half
(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as cost were cut to half of the previous year’s
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year

I know which answer is correct, however i do not understand the underlying principle. Please explain it to me. Help is much appreciated. Thanks


I`m stronger on quant than I am on verbal, but see my comments in red below for my take on it. (B) is the only sentence that does not require correction.

(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut to half
(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half of the previous year’s
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while it cut in half the previous year’s costs (bad sentence structure)
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half those of the previous year

Another note is that "as" creates dependency. The cost is not dependent on the yield, it is dependent on the mechanization of farming.


kudos for that! Could you also explain something else to me please? I know that 'mechanization of farming ...' is a complete sentence and it is connected the subordinate clause 'while cutting costs...'. What I want to know is what kind of phrase 'cutting costs...' is? Do I just take it for fact that it is just a correct way to say what it was intended in English? Thanks!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 490
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 344

Kudos [?]: 1799 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although some officials noted that using machines for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 08:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thedevils88 wrote:
95. Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.
(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half
(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as cost were cut to half of the previous year’s
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year

I know which answer is correct, however i do not understand the underlying principle. Please explain it to me. Help is much appreciated. Thanks


Hi Thedevils88,

For the sake of understanding lets remove the prepositional phrases.

Although some officials noted that using machines costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the [u]mechanization doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.

(A) mechanization doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half

The meaning implied in this sentence is incorrect. "while the previous year's costs were cut in half" means that the previous year's costs were cut in half but, no comparison is made to this year's costs. This meaning is clearly expressed in (B). It is not clear that which year's costs is the sentence talking about. Moreover, "cut to half" would be better than "cut in half"

(B) mechanization doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year

Expresses a clear comparison and correctly and concisely.

(C) mechanization doubled the corn yield as cost were cut to half of the previous year’s

In this choice as well, the meaning implied in incorrect. This choice means that "mechanization" was a result of costs being cut in half. However, the meaning of the sentence should be the opposite.

(D) mechanization doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs

unambiguous "it". "it" could refer to either "mechanization" or "corn yield"

(E) mechanization doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year

The use of "while" distorts the meaning. This choice incorrectly states that "cutting of costs" was not because of "mechanization" but "cut to half" just like that.

eg John went to Cornell, while Mary went to Yale.


Hope it helps,

Vercules
_________________

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 3341
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 350

Kudos [?]: 2575 [0], given: 1858

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although some officials noted that using machines for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 08:24
A) This choice is incorrect for the same reason cited in Choice E

B) Correct and concise choice.

C) S-V disagreement cost …were. This choice also wrong because it changes intended meaning. We know there are two consequences of mechanization 1. it doubled the corn yield. 2. cut the costs to half. Wrong use of as changes the intended meaning and implies that mechanization doubled the corn yield because decrease in costs, while the intended meaning is mechanization doubled corn yield without increase in costs.

D) This choice is also wrong for the same reasons cited in Choice C

E) Here is parallelism error. Two consequences of single action should be in a form x has done y while doing z. The passive structure costs were cut…. is not parallel to doubled the corn yield. In this choice costs……that of is also wrong. It should be costs ....those of.

Regards,

Abhijit
_________________

MBA Rankings | Admission Deadlines | BSchool Adcom Chats | Applicant Status Tracker - Real Time Updates

Executive MBA | Part Time MBA | MBA Applicant Blogs | MBA Student Blogs

Impact of GMAT Score on Your Admission Chances
Special Scholarships and Fellowships Awarded at Top BSchools
Best Admissions Consulting Companies
Business School Reviews - Real and Verified
Global Map of Business Schools
Admission Trends at Top Business Schools Over Last 5 Years!!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 9758
Followers: 837

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although some officials noted that using machines for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 06:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 149
GMAT 1: 200 Q0 V0
GPA: 2.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Although some officials noted that using machines for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2016, 10:14
chetan2u
sayantanc2k

In the above question , Choice E
"farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year"
Although choice E is wrong for other reasons, my particular doubt is in costs were cut to half that of the previous year
can "that" be used to refer to a noun plural?will it be considered right?
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 1391
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 210

Kudos [?]: 828 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Although some officials noted that using machines for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 12:30
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
goforgmat wrote:
chetan2u
sayantanc2k

In the above question , Choice E
"farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year"
Although choice E is wrong for other reasons, my particular doubt is in costs were cut to half that of the previous year
can "that" be used to refer to a noun plural?will it be considered right?


:-D I too had this query for a long time. Finally I discovered numerous instances in OG13 itself where "that" has been used to refer to plural antecedent. Therefore, we can safely say that in GMAT, "that" can refer to plural antecedent.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 1708
Location: United States
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V26
GMAT 3: 560 Q43 V24
GMAT 4: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 113

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Although some officials noted that using machines for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 07:19
please someone, re-format the sentence. it hurts the eyes to see the whole underlined sentence, then to look for the part that you need to change...
Re: Although some officials noted that using machines for   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2016, 07:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Although some officials noted that using machines for helpmeongmat 4 04 Aug 2007, 13:21
Although some officials noted that using machines for sidbidus 4 19 Jun 2007, 19:49
Although some officials noted that using machines for jc114 1 14 May 2007, 17:09
Although some officials noted that using machines for vshaunak@gmail.com 4 10 Mar 2007, 09:42
Although some officials noted that using machines for kripalkavi 6 11 Oct 2006, 20:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although some officials noted that using machines for

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.