Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 09:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although some officials noted that using machines for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Although some officials noted that using machines for [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 06:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:59) correct 57% (01:04) wrong based on 46 sessions
95. Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.
(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half
(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as cost were cut to half of the previous year’s
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year

I know which answer is correct, however i do not understand the underlying principle. Please explain it to me. Help is much appreciated. Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 48

Re: Needs an explanation to the following question [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 06:37
This post received
KUDOS
Thedevils88 wrote:
95. Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.
(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half
(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as cost were cut to half of the previous year’s
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year

I know which answer is correct, however i do not understand the underlying principle. Please explain it to me. Help is much appreciated. Thanks

I`m stronger on quant than I am on verbal, but see my comments in red below for my take on it. (B) is the only sentence that does not require correction.

(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut to half
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half of the previous year’s
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while it cut in half the previous year’s costs (bad sentence structure)
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half those of the previous year

Another note is that "as" creates dependency. The cost is not dependent on the yield, it is dependent on the mechanization of farming.

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Needs an explanation to the following question [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 06:49
CarlMtl wrote:
Thedevils88 wrote:

I`m stronger on quant than I am on verbal, but see my comments in red below for my take on it. (B) is the only sentence that does not require correction.

(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut to half
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half of the previous year’s
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while it cut in half the previous year’s costs (bad sentence structure)
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half those of the previous year

Another note is that "as" creates dependency. The cost is not dependent on the yield, it is dependent on the mechanization of farming.

kudos for that! Could you also explain something else to me please? I know that 'mechanization of farming ...' is a complete sentence and it is connected the subordinate clause 'while cutting costs...'. What I want to know is what kind of phrase 'cutting costs...' is? Do I just take it for fact that it is just a correct way to say what it was intended in English? Thanks!
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 262

Kudos [?]: 1035 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Needs an explanation to the following question [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 07:10
Expert's post
Thedevils88 wrote:

Hi Thedevils88,

For the sake of understanding lets remove the prepositional phrases.

Although some officials noted that using machines costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the [u]mechanization doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.

(A) mechanization doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half

The meaning implied in this sentence is incorrect. "while the previous year's costs were cut in half" means that the previous year's costs were cut in half but, no comparison is made to this year's costs. This meaning is clearly expressed in (B). It is not clear that which year's costs is the sentence talking about. Moreover, "cut to half" would be better than "cut in half"

(B) mechanization doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year

Expresses a clear comparison and correctly and concisely.

(C) mechanization doubled the corn yield as cost were cut to half of the previous year’s

In this choice as well, the meaning implied in incorrect. This choice means that "mechanization" was a result of costs being cut in half. However, the meaning of the sentence should be the opposite.

(D) mechanization doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs

unambiguous "it". "it" could refer to either "mechanization" or "corn yield"

(E) mechanization doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year

The use of "while" distorts the meaning. This choice incorrectly states that "cutting of costs" was not because of "mechanization" but "cut to half" just like that.

eg John went to Cornell, while Mary went to Yale.

Hope it helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 1078 [0], given: 1001

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Needs an explanation to the following question [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 07:24
Expert's post
A) This choice is incorrect for the same reason cited in Choice E

B) Correct and concise choice.

C) S-V disagreement cost …were. This choice also wrong because it changes intended meaning. We know there are two consequences of mechanization 1. it doubled the corn yield. 2. cut the costs to half. Wrong use of as changes the intended meaning and implies that mechanization doubled the corn yield because decrease in costs, while the intended meaning is mechanization doubled corn yield without increase in costs.

D) This choice is also wrong for the same reasons cited in Choice C

E) Here is parallelism error. Two consequences of single action should be in a form x has done y while doing z. The passive structure costs were cut…. is not parallel to doubled the corn yield. In this choice costs……that of is also wrong. It should be costs ....those of.

Regards,

Abhijit

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Re: Needs an explanation to the following question   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2013, 07:24