Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [55]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [13]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Insead, Ross, Kellogg, Tepper, Tuck, ISB
 Q50  V30 GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
WE 1: 3.5 years I.T
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [10]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 630 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
Re: Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half
(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as cost were cut to half of the previous year’s
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year

Answer B

Let me try...

A and D are using wrong "cut in half" wrong construction so they are out.
C is using "cost were" so it is out (subject/verb)
E is using "that of the previous year" for referring to "costs" it should be "those of the previous year"
We are left with B, which don't have any of the above issue

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by mustdoit on 09 Mar 2010, 03:47.
Last edited by mustdoit on 10 Mar 2010, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [7]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Re: Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I don't quite understand what you mean by A and D are out because of "previous year's costs". There is nothing wrong with using previous year's costs.

(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half
The problem in A is with doubled and were. They are not parallel after the marker "while"

(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year
CORRECT.

(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as cost were cut to half of the previous year’s
The problem in C is the change in meaning. The sentence uses "as" which is a comparator and not really a time indicator. In the original sentence, while was used to indicate the timeframe of occurence of events which is eliminated in this sentence.

(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs
Same problem as C.

(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year
Same problem as A. X while Y the verbs should be parallel. Doubled while cutting is more parallel than doubled while costs. In the latter we are comparing doubled (a participle) with costs (a noun)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Thedevils88 wrote:
95. Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.

I know which answer is correct, however i do not understand the underlying principle. Please explain it to me. Help is much appreciated. Thanks

I`m stronger on quant than I am on verbal, but see my comments in red below for my take on it. (B) is the only sentence that does not require correction.

(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut to half
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half of the previous year’s
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while it cut in half the previous year’s costs (bad sentence structure)
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half those of the previous year

Another note is that "as" creates dependency. The cost is not dependent on the yield, it is dependent on the mechanization of farming.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
CarlMtl wrote:
Thedevils88 wrote:
95. Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.

I know which answer is correct, however i do not understand the underlying principle. Please explain it to me. Help is much appreciated. Thanks

I`m stronger on quant than I am on verbal, but see my comments in red below for my take on it. (B) is the only sentence that does not require correction.

(A) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut to half
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half of the previous year’s
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while it cut in half the previous year’s costs (bad sentence structure)
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half those of the previous year

Another note is that "as" creates dependency. The cost is not dependent on the yield, it is dependent on the mechanization of farming.

kudos for that! Could you also explain something else to me please? I know that 'mechanization of farming ...' is a complete sentence and it is connected the subordinate clause 'while cutting costs...'. What I want to know is what kind of phrase 'cutting costs...' is? Do I just take it for fact that it is just a correct way to say what it was intended in English? Thanks!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
A) This choice is incorrect for the same reason cited in Choice E

B) Correct and concise choice.

C) S-V disagreement cost …were. This choice also wrong because it changes intended meaning. We know there are two consequences of mechanization 1. it doubled the corn yield. 2. cut the costs to half. Wrong use of as changes the intended meaning and implies that mechanization doubled the corn yield because decrease in costs, while the intended meaning is mechanization doubled corn yield without increase in costs.

D) This choice is also wrong for the same reasons cited in Choice C

E) Here is parallelism error. Two consequences of single action should be in a form x has done y while doing z. The passive structure costs were cut…. is not parallel to doubled the corn yield. In this choice costs……that of is also wrong. It should be costs ....those of.

Regards,

Abhijit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
chetan2u
sayantanc2k

In the above question , Choice E
"farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year"
Although choice E is wrong for other reasons, my particular doubt is in costs were cut to half that of the previous year
can "that" be used to refer to a noun plural?will it be considered right?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
goforgmat wrote:
chetan2u
sayantanc2k

In the above question , Choice E
"farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year"
Although choice E is wrong for other reasons, my particular doubt is in costs were cut to half that of the previous year
can "that" be used to refer to a noun plural?will it be considered right?

:-D I too had this query for a long time. Finally I discovered numerous instances in OG13 itself where "that" has been used to refer to plural antecedent. Therefore, we can safely say that in GMAT, "that" can refer to plural antecedent.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 550 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM