Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although some officials noted that using machines for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Although some officials noted that using machines for [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 03:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.

(A)
(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year.
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as costs were cut to half of the previous year’s.
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs.
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year

Exceed your goals and then Proceed to Succeed!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: %%%%SC_33_21 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 05:16
becoolja wrote:
Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half.

(A)
(B) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year.
(C) mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as costs were cut to half of the previous year’s.
(D) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield as it cut in half the previous year’s costs.
(E) farming mechanization in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while costs were cut to half that of the previous year

I will go for "B" on this !
the clause "the mechanization of farming doubled the corn yield while cutting costs ", seems okay.
and moreover, "those" clearly refers to "costs", mentioned previously in the clause.

whats the OA ?

Dharmin

Perseverance, Hard Work and self confidence

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 06:52
My take on this questions is as follows..

'Mechanization of farming' is the right construction compared to 'farming mechanization'. Hence D and E are out.

C is wrong because of 'as costs were cut'. Mechanization helped both higher yield and reduction in costs. C sounds as though higher yield was more due to reduced costs...and is not ok.

Between A and B - in dilemma as always. B has active voice ('cutting costs to half those of the previous year') and A is passive ('while the previous year’s costs were cut in half').

So B is my choice. Whats the OA
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 07:33
I narrowed choices down to C and D
A, B and E uses wrongly uses "while" as conjunction.
costs being halved should be an example supporting the claim of farming mechanization. "as" conveys exactly that. I eliminated D because cutting in half a certain cost is not as good as X was cut to half of last year's [X].

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 19:25
I prefer E.

We have two situations here, one the yield is doubled. second the cost is reduced to half that of the previous year. Incase we pick either C or D we seem to merge these two separate pieces of information... As if, the reduction in cost by half has made the yeild grow twice. But let assume a case the cost was reduced 60% then we wouldnt have a choice but to see these two information as separate. Anyway...

I cornered down to B and E. I didnt prefer B because the formation 'cutting cost' didnt seem better compared to 'the costs were reduced..'

My choice seems to be E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 21:52
Paul, C seems to indicate that yield doubled as costs were cut.
does this make sense?

i thought E was better.

To Strive, To Seek and Not to Yield

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2004, 22:00
QA : "B"

The key point is the use of " the previous year's".

Sorry for my late reply becase I just return from my trip to the south of Thailand :-) Anyone wanna join next time :-)

Exceed your goals and then Proceed to Succeed!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: %%%%SC_33_21 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2004, 03:44
becoolja wrote:

(A)

yes,

here ... two concurrent actions are taking place at the same time. "as" used when it is explaining some reason for previous action. so "while" is perfect here.

so B and E left.

but after "while" .. the verb should be in continuing action to signify the two actions ocuuring simultaneously.

so B is correct here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 18:16
I am not sure whether I follow the above explanation.

Doubled (past) while cutting (continuing action).....
I thought while connects same tense.... I am confused. Help!
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 18:53
died4me wrote:

First of all, I thank you for digging out these excellent questions.

If I am not wrong, yield = returns/cost

when cost becomes half, yield automatically doubles. So here cost becoming half is leading to doubling of yield. So they are not two separate actions. They happended simultaneously. B seems to express this clearly. C says actions happened separately. No?

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 19:27
ak_idc wrote:
died4me wrote:

First of all, I thank you for digging out these excellent questions.

If I am not wrong, yield = returns/cost

when cost becomes half, yield automatically doubles. So here cost becoming half is leading to doubling of yield. So they are not two separate actions. They happended simultaneously. B seems to express this clearly. C says actions happened separately. No?

After I finished the SC1000, I am trying to find out correct explanations on the problems that I missed. Thanks for your encouragement.

Both C and B mention cutting cost in half. "As" in the choice C does make the sentence sound like the actions happened separately.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 21:46
we "double a yield" and "cut costs (to a) in half"

This SC is not testing gerund llism.
  [#permalink] 09 Oct 2006, 21:46