Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the batting coach conceded the new lineup, in which

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Although the batting coach conceded the new lineup, in which [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 07:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

90% (02:11) correct 10% (01:46) wrong based on 2 sessions
Although the batting coach conceded the new lineup, in which the players’ strengths were better utilized, he said that in the future they must be agreed upon by all managers before being put into practice.

A. conceded the new lineup, in which the players’ strengths were better utilized, he said that in the future they must be agreed upon by all managers before being put into practice

B. conceded the new lineup, in which the players’ strengths were better utilized, he said that future lineups would require the consent of all managers before putting them into practice

C. agreed to the new lineup, in which the players’ strengths were better utilized, he said that future lineups must be agreed upon by all managers before being put into practice

D. agreed to the new lineup, in which the strengths of the players were better utilized, he said that in the future, they must be agreed upon before having been put into practice

E. agreed on the new lineup’s utilization of players’ strengths, he said that in the future the lineups must be agreed upon by all managers before they have been put into use

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who

SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 1

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 07:39
mbaMission wrote:
Although the batting coach conceded the new lineup, in which the players’ strengths were better utilized, he said that in the future they must be agreed upon by all managers before being put into practice.

A. conceded the new lineup, in which the players’ strengths were better utilized, he said that in the future they must be agreed upon by all managers before being put into practice

B. conceded the new lineup, in which the players’ strengths were better utilized, he said that future lineups would require the consent of all managers before putting them into practice

C. agreed to the new lineup, in which the players’ strengths were better utilized, he said that future lineups must be agreed upon by all managers before being put into practice

D. agreed to the new lineup, in which the strengths of the players were better utilized, he said that in the future, they must be agreed upon before having been put into practice

E. agreed on the new lineup’s utilization of players’ strengths, he said that in the future the lineups must be agreed upon by all managers before they have been put into use

I choose C as my answer. first of all, "agree to" means to agree to something, whereas "agree with" means to agree with a person.

a) "they" has no referant.
b) "future lineups" can not require anything. It's illogical
c) seems correct. keep it
d) "they" has no referant.
e) "agreed on" is not idiomatic. You can have either "agree to" or "agree with." Between option C and E, "agree to" in option C wins.

So the answer is C!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 10:16
Well, I say we look at 'B' as well.
'...conceded the new lineup, in which the players’ strengths were better utilized, he said that future lineups would require the consent of all managers before putting them into practice.'

Because 'conceded' means to grant or acknowledge before it is officially established. In this sentence the coach grants an approval to the line up, but puts a condition that future line ups would require the consent of all other managers before it is put in to practice.

further discussions please.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 10:51
IMO B.
As B says coach require consent from managers while C says "must be agreed". In approval, we should not use must.
OA please ?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 1

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 11:08
tashu wrote:
IMO B.
As B says coach require consent from managers while C says "must be agreed". In approval, we should not use must.
OA please ?

but in option B, it's not the couch who's requiring, but it's rather the future lineups.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 11

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 03:09
I would also go with Option B.

Option C looks passive 'by managers' 'being'
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 06:37
i am in for B.

the only reason i cud c fr nt choosin C is verb form.

i guess v cant force/'must' on a future situation.the future scenario might b diff than expected. so it should b 'would require'.

OA.?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 2

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 07:00
I am going with C, B says 'future line-ups would require'. 'Future lineups' can't require anything.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 23:49
C, D and E are using the wrong idiom "agree upon"......A is having pronoun reference error...So IMO correct answer is B....

Choose Life

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 29

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 04:31
What's the OA? Further explanations please. I am with B What's wrong with'' that future lineups would require''

C also includes being

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 07:56
OA is C

Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 0

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 07:59
This post received
KUDOS
A - 'Conceded the' wrong idiom.

B - 'Conceded the' wrong idiom.

D - they must be agreed upon before having been put into practice - 2 Errors, They refers to what??? Pronounce reference error. Having Been put into pratice - Wrong Tense.

E. agreed on the new lineup’s utilization of players’ strengths, he said that in the future the lineups must be agreed upon by all managers before they have been put into use - No need for such a complex form.

Thats leaves us with C.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
B is incorrect...as the idiom should be "conceded to"
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 23:11
This post received
KUDOS
Is "conceded the new lineup" really a problem?

In Oxford Dictionary, there is an example below.
He reluctantly conceded the point to me.

Rather than that, I suppose the critical difference between B and C is the latter part of the sentence.

B "he said that future lineups would require the consent of all managers before putting them into practice"

C "he said that future lineups must be agreed upon by all managers before being put into practice"

In B, what's the subject of "put"? Logically, it may be "managers". But gramatically, it is "lineups".
Also, pronoun "them" is ambiguous. Is it "lineups" or "managers"?

On the other hand, although C has notorious "being", the meaning is very clear because the subject of the clause stays "lineups" constantly. (i.e. before lineups being put into practice)
Current Student
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 1

Re: batting coach [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 16:02
Masamune wrote:
Is "conceded the new lineup" really a problem?

In Oxford Dictionary, there is an example below.
He reluctantly conceded the point to me.

Rather than that, I suppose the critical difference between B and C is the latter part of the sentence.

B "he said that future lineups would require the consent of all managers before putting them into practice"

C "he said that future lineups must be agreed upon by all managers before being put into practice"

In B, what's the subject of "put"? Logically, it may be "managers". But gramatically, it is "lineups".
Also, pronoun "them" is ambiguous. Is it "lineups" or "managers"?

On the other hand, although C has notorious "being", the meaning is very clear because the subject of the clause stays "lineups" constantly. (i.e. before lineups being put into practice)

Though them in B refers to future lineups, i dont think it gives clear picture.

C is the best available choice.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Although the batting coach conceded the new lineup, in which [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 07:06
idiom usage - conceded must be followed by a noun.
A - wrong idiom and they can refer to singular subject lineup
D - wrong tense (in future they must be agreed) - agreed can not come for future and wrong pronoun "they"
B - gone for wrong idiom usage.
E - past tense can not be used for future

C is definitely a better choice
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 310

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although the batting coach conceded the new lineup, in which [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 09:30
mbaMission wrote:

Yes it has to be C. B is tempting but THEM could incorrectly refer to the managers and therefore change the meaning to nonsense

In C, being is correctly used and the sentence expresses intended meaning correctly. Agree upon is correct idiom as well and the clause 'before being put into practice' clearly refers to the lineup as opposed to the other incorrect antecedents

Hope it helps!
Cheers
J :)
Re: Although the batting coach conceded the new lineup, in which   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2014, 09:30