Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 12:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal, [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 01:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:46) correct 20% (00:41) wrong based on 61 sessions
Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its poison.

(A) brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its
(B) brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds and pose the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to their
(C) the brown recluse spider is rarely fatal, it causes chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to their
(D) the brown recluse spider is rarely fatal, it causes chronic flesh wounds and poses the greatest danger to infants and the elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its
(E) the brown recluse spider is rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its

I understand most of the reasons why OA is the answer, but I am still wondering why "its" at the end of the sentence in D is correct.
I think that "it" in D is referred to the bite of spiders, so "its" should also be referred to the bite of spiders.
but how does "the bite" have poison?

I picked C as an answer because of that reason above.
Poison should be the spiders', and spiders are plural in the Q, so I thought the correct form was "their."

What's wrong with my thought?

Also, some people say that "posing" is not parallel with cause, so C is incorrect.
But I thought that "posing" modifies the whole preceding sentence, so it makes sense.
Am I wrong?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: PT #8 SC 4 Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are ra [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 01:58
eybrj2 wrote:
Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its poison.

(A) brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its
(B) brown recluse spiders are rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds and pose the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to their
(C) the brown recluse spider is rarely fatal, it causes chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to their
(D) the brown recluse spider is rarely fatal, it causes chronic flesh wounds and poses the greatest danger to infants and the elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its
(E) the brown recluse spider is rarely fatal, they cause chronic flesh wounds, posing the greatest danger to the infant and elderly, who are particularly vulnerable to its

I understand most of the reasons why OA is the answer, but I am still wondering why "its" at the end of the sentence in D is correct.
I think that "it" in D is referred to the bite of spiders, so "its" should also be referred to the bite of spiders.

Poison should be the spiders', and spiders are plural in the Q, so I thought the correct form was "their."

Also, some people say that "posing" is not parallel with cause, so C is incorrect.
But I thought that "posing" modifies the whole preceding sentence, so it makes sense.
Am I wrong?

'Its' is referring to the spide.

If you use they it would cause ambiguity between the infants, elderly & the spider. Further it has been earlier used for the spider.

I hope this helps :-D

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: PT #8 SC 4 Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are ra [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 09:04
eybrj2 wrote:

Am I wrong?

"their" is plural, while "its" is singular.
In C , the "their" would need "spiderS" (plural) as antecedent. Instead spider in C is singular. Thus, "their" does not agree in number with the antecedent.

D fixes this error by changing "their" (PL) to "its" (Sg).

Hope that helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: PT #8 SC 4 Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are ra [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 21:48
I still feel C is the answer.Its cannot refer to spiders .It is surely wrong .If D is correct then it should be brown spider and not spiders.!! Just because there is ambiguity it must not lead to any subject verb agreement.

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: PT #8 SC 4 Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are ra [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 22:54
saikarthikreddy wrote:
I still feel C is the answer.Its cannot refer to spiders .It is surely wrong .If D is correct then it should be brown spider and not spiders.!! Just because there is ambiguity it must not lead to any subject verb agreement.

D states
".. the brown recluse spider ..." (Singular)

So ITS refers to spider. There is no other antecedent for its. IMO there is no ambiguity in D.
Where exactly do you see a problem with D?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: PT #8 SC 4 Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are ra [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 04:35
eybrj2 wrote:

Am I wrong?

Why B is wrong
logically we know poison ill be of spiders only not of infant and elderly

Pls Post question --if come across, where their may be referring to more than one entity but logically refer to only one

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 31

Re: PT #8 SC 4 Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are ra [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 01:57
Straight D sv-agreement problem in other options.

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 99

Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are rarely [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 20:21

Can some one help me to clraify my doubt
Can the pronoun's refer to the nouns which are in prepositional phrases
for eg:
bite of brown recluse spiders .In this if i want to refer to spiders can i use they eventhough they reside in prepositional phrase(bite of brown recluse spiders).
Please help me!!!

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 12

Re: Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are rarely [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 22:40
skamal7 wrote:

for eg:
bite of brown recluse spiders .In this if i want to refer to spiders can i use they eventhough they reside in prepositional phrase(bite of brown recluse spiders).
Please help me!!!

Prepositional phrases add some information to the sentence. The information is usually the place or the time or anything else. Having said that the prepositional phrases are fluff in a sentence. Meaning they are modifiers, adding more information to the main core sentence. They never have the main subject of the sentence. So don't look for subject of the sentence in the prepositional phrase. In this sc problem identify the main subject. In this case it is 'The bite'. If you can spot this then rest of this problem is identifying SV errors.

they cause chronic flesh wounds - This modifier has incorrect pronoun. The bite is singular hence it is the correct antecedent. That leaves us with C and D. Now C uses pronoun 'their', which is again incorrect as the subject is 'the bite'. hence 'its' is the correct usage. hence D is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are rarely [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 23:05

The bite is the subject of first part of sentence, so...
1> is should be verb to agree with singular subject the bite
2> next sentence should start with singular pronoun it.
Now, Options A, B and E are eliminated.

C is incorrect because 'their' is plural pronoun, whereas sentence talks about singular spider.
Hence Option D is correct choice.

About your doubt:
--> In the second sentence, pronoun should talk about the subject in first sentence. See difference between two lines.
the bite of the brown recluse spider is rarely fatal, it causes ...
The brown recluse spiders bite anywhere on the skin, they cause ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 99

Re: Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are rarely [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 23:09
So you mean to say Particularly vulnerable to its( bite of brown recluse spiders) poison right?
Since the brown spider resides in prepostional phrase you mean to say that "it" can't be brown spider.Am i correct in understanding your statement!

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 536 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are rarely [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 23:33
skamal7 wrote:

for eg:
Please help me!!!

SOME SPECIAL FEATURES ABOUT ALTHOUGH:
=> ALTHOUGH always followed by finite clause.
=> ALTHOUGH should always separate two clauses==:>ex: although X , Y..where X and Y are clauses.
=> If the clause Y is starting with a pronoun then the antecedent of this pronoun is always the subject of clause X, and will not be ambiguous inspite of presence of other noun.

now in the above question clause Y is starting with pronoun so it must refer to subject of the clause X i.e. the bite....which is singular and hence pronoun should be ITS.
if there is no "although " then the pronoun can refer to a noun in the prepositional phrase also....
hope it is clear.
kudos if it helped.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 751 [0], given: 800

Re: Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are rarely [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 09:11
Expert's post
Re: Although the bite of brown recluse spiders are rarely   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2013, 09:11