Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 15:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 22:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (02:29) correct 31% (00:20) wrong based on 12 sessions
Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping district are expected to close within five years as a result of competition from a SpendLess discount department store that just opened, those locations will not stay vacant for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a nondiscount department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson's.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. Many customers of Colson's are expected to do less shopping there than they did before the SpendLess store opened.
B. Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson's opened have been discount stores.
C. At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it as it ever had.
D. Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville's population will grow at a faster rate than it has for the past several decades.
E. Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that are not available at either SpendLess or Colson's.

Please explain your answer choice, thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - shopping [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 23:08
beckee529 wrote:
Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping district are expected to close within five years as a result of competition from a SpendLess discount department store that just opened, those locations will not stay vacant for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a nondiscount department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson's.

A. Many customers of Colson's are expected to do less shopping there than they did before the SpendLess store opened.
B. Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson's opened have been discount stores.
C. At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it as it ever had.
D. Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville's population will grow at a faster rate than it has for the past several decades.
E. Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that are not available at either SpendLess or Colson's.

The entire thesis is based on the competition aspect.....

Clearly D( the increase in rate does not suggest increased interest) B ( fails to address Spendless and also fails to reconcile the competition part) will not weaken the argument...

Again A fails to clearly state that less sales could plague new stores..here it is stating about colson's!

Finally C states the occupants rotate but it gets occupied, the shop place, but how how does that harm Colson's attempt to continue its winning streak is unclear!!!

E is the logical answer..that new stores are in different league...they wont close because of comp from Colson or Spendless(mentions both)...

I may not be wholly correct..if i am missing something let me know
FP
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - shopping [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 23:27
beckee529 wrote:

Conclusion: Those locations will not stay vacant for long.

A. Many customers of Colson's are expected to do less shopping there than they did before the SpendLess store opened. - If this is true the conclusion will be strengthened
B. Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson's opened have been discount stores. - Correct answer. If this is the case the locations will stay vacant for long.
C. At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it as it ever had. - We are not bothered about the number of stores
D. Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville's population will grow at a faster rate than it has for the past several decades. - This does not state that the increased population will shop only from the spendless store only - so doesn't weaken.E. Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that are not available at either SpendLess or Colson's. -
This will strengthen the conclusion.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 23:57
Straight B.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 01:15
I am actually anti B :-D
I am for A!!! I can try to explain if i am correct.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 19:25
The argument is actually using an analogy b/w Colson and SpendLess to draw a conclusion about SpendLess...Now we need a choice that weakens the analogy.

Although all choices are weird...B is the best since in the case of SpendLess the stores that are closed are discount ones whereas in case of Colson these were opened.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - shopping [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 20:32
beckee529 wrote:
Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping district are expected to close within five years as a result of competition from a SpendLess discount department store that just opened, these locations will not stay vacant for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a non discount department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson's.

This is my understanding of the Question stem:

Paraphrase : The location of discount stores that are expected to close withing 5 yrs due to competition from spendless will not remain empty for a long time as seen in the case of Calson's a non-discount store where since 5 years every store closed due to competition from Calson was replaced by another store.

What would weaken this argument ? If we find a reason to prove that location will remain empty for a long time.

If we take B, which means that the new stores that are opening are discount stores can compete with Calson's and hence the stores will not be closed and the place will not be vacant. So I don't think it weakens the argument.
Vineet, I don't think just because a store is discount is enough to weaken the argument.
D and E are out of scope.

I think C is pretty close. If there are already lot of stores in the shopping dist. thus reducing the need for more stores and hence the stores that closed down might remain vacant for little longer time.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 22:20
Sorry guys... I had no idea this was posted so recently already. Here is a good explanation for the correct answer B: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=49510
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - shopping [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 00:51
Amit05 wrote:
beckee529 wrote:
Although the discount stores in Goreville central shopping district are expected to close within five years as a result of competition from a SpendLess discount department store that just opened, these locations will not stay vacant for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a non discount department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson's.

Paraphrase : The location of discount stores that are expected to close withing 5 yrs due to competition from spendless will not remain empty for a long time as seen in the case of Calson's a non-discount store where since 5 years every store closed due to competition from Calson was replaced by another store.

What would weaken this argument ? If we find a reason to prove that location will remain empty for a long time.

If we take B, which means that the new stores that are opening are discount stores can compete with Calson's and hence the stores will not be closed and the place will not be vacant. So I don't think it weakens the argument.
Vineet, I don't think just because a store is discount is enough to weaken the argument.

I think C is pretty close. If there are already lot of stores in the shopping dist. thus reducing the need for more stores and hence the stores that closed down might remain vacant for little longer time.

If u read the link given above by beckee529,u'll realize that what I am trying to say is right.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 01:28
I see it now.... how can i miss the argument completely.... i cant believe it..

Completely messed up the CR...anyhow nicely explained

FP
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - shopping [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 08:23
vineetgupta wrote:
Amit05 wrote:
beckee529 wrote:

If u read the link given above by beckee529,u'll realize that what I am trying to say is right.

Yes sir ! got it ..
Director
Director
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - shopping [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 19:25
Conclusion : those locations will not stay vacant for long.

Why ?? : The author draws a parallelism from another incident which goes on as : In the five years since the opening of Colson’s, a nondiscount department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson’s.

It is very important to know the structure and the scope of the argument. Here the way B is weakening is by providing an alternative cause to an effect. If you go through the chapter of Cause and Effect(PowerScore Bible), it would be much more evident.The chapter gives various ways in which a cause-and effect relationship can be weakend.

Quote:

C is out of scope.

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 374 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - shopping [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 19:18
B weakens the conclusion.
E strengthens the conclusion.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 33

Re: CR - shopping [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 20:45
Although many tried to explain here the question, I still don't understand why the answer should be B. Although I didn't find any answer with which I was satisfied, I chose C.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 27

Re: CR - shopping [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 03:39
can anyone explain me the meaning of the passage
than only it will be clear that what will weaken it

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - shopping [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 13:14
beckee529 wrote:

B explains why we cannot assume Colson's effect will happen with SpendLess.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 20

Re: CR - shopping [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 06:10
This post received
KUDOS
sgupta0827 wrote:
Although many tried to explain here the question, I still don't understand why the answer should be B. Although I didn't find any answer with which I was satisfied, I chose C.

In the case of Colson's opening, new business came into picture by employing a different way of business (i.e., discount).

But in the case of SpendLess, those old shops are already discount operated. Hence to sustain the business, new stores should come up with alternates other than discounts.

Hence, with the given set of answer choices, B is the only one that explains this situation.

IMO, one can come up with some other alternative better than discounts, but as this is not indicated by any choice, we need to select B.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GPA: 3.98
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 16

Re: CR - shopping [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 00:10
gaurav2k101 wrote:
can anyone explain me the meaning of the passage
than only it will be clear that what will weaken it

Basically the shopping district is expected to increasingly close its stores because of the upcoming opening of Spendless, a discount store, which will steal their business. The author is supporting his point ("those locations will not stay vacant for long") paralleling an akin situation: When Colson's, a non discount, had opened new stores opened in turn.

There's an evident flaw in this reasoning, stores closed down as a result of Colson's opening; one viable way to regain a slice of the market in the area is to open cheaper stores. If Spendless is already a discount store, opening few more discount stores in the area would be useless.

I hope it helps.

Either suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret.

If my posts are helping you show some love awarding a kudos

Re: CR - shopping   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2014, 00:10