Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the discount stores in Goreville s central shopping

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Although the discount stores in Goreville s central shopping [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2006, 21:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Although the discount stores in Goreville’s central shopping district are expected to close within five years as a result of competition from a SpendLess discount department store that just opened, those locations will not stay vacant for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson’s, a nondiscount department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson’s.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A:Many customers of Colson’s are expected to do less shopping there than they did before the SpendLess store opened.

B:Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson’s opened have been discount stores.

C:At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it as it ever had.

D:Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville’s population will grow at a faster rate than it has for the past several decades.

E:Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that are not available at either SpendLess or Colson’s.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2006, 21:20

I'll go with E.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2006, 22:16
I believe that in order to weaken the argument, we need to prove that the closed stores will not be replaced by new stores.
I will go with B.

However, if the argument is that stores will not close inspite of new competition, then tennis_ball is correct.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2006, 23:10
apoorvgupta wrote:
I believe that in order to weaken the argument, we need to prove that the closed stores will not be replaced by new stores.
I will go with B.

However, if the argument is that stores will not close inspite of new competition, then tennis_ball is correct.

What is the argument in this case .....?? I cannot spot it.

Any CR guru here please stand up...
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2006, 23:22
apoorvgupta wrote:
I will go with B.

i agree this argument is quite confusing, because its premise and conclusion are not very clear.

Since SpendLess is a discount and Colson's is a non discount store, I think in order for the rest of the stores to survive, they gotta sell something different, because these 2 big stores have covered both the discount and non-discount.
That was my understanding. But I am quite confused too.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2006, 00:20
tennis_ball wrote:
apoorvgupta wrote:
I will go with B.

i agree this argument is quite confusing, because its premise and conclusion are not very clear.

Since SpendLess is a discount and Colson's is a non discount store, I think in order for the rest of the stores to survive, they gotta sell something different, because these 2 big stores have covered both the discount and non-discount.
That was my understanding. But I am quite confused too.

sorry for the delayed OA tennis_ball. Please do reply to my posts in the future! :)

Ok, now down to business:

Conclusion is: The stores that will be closed after SpendLess opens will not have to remain vacant for long.

Premise is: In the five years since the opening of Colson’s, a nondiscount department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson’s.

This is an analogy argument: The argument assumes that the situations when Colson's opened and when SpendLess will open are identical.

To weaken the argument: We have to show that the stores WILL remain vacant for a long time. (i.e, we need to show that the two situations are NOT analogous)

A:Many customers of Colson’s are expected to do less shopping there than they did before the SpendLess store opened. - We are not worried about Colson's customers. WRONG

B:Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson’s opened have been discount stores. - YES. Because they are discount stores - Right by POE

C:At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it as it ever had. - Strengthens the argument. WRONG

D:Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville’s population will grow at a faster rate than it has for the past several decades. - Strengthens the argument. WRONG

E:Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that are not available at either SpendLess or Colson’s. - So? This is irrelevant. WRONG
  [#permalink] 19 Sep 2006, 00:20