Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 44

Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 02:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:51) correct 36% (01:01) wrong based on 136 sessions
Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.

(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is
(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are
(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is
(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are
(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

MGMAT CAT MATH mgmat-cat-math-144609.html
MGMAT SC SUMMARY: mgmat-sc-summary-144610.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 03:52
Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.

There is no antecedent for them
wrong modifiers. " widely distributed" modifies "the lesser cornstalk borer".
Should be "lesser cornstalk borer 'S control" or " control OF lesser cornstalk borer "
(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are
Correct
(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is[/quote]
"It" here is ambiguous.

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 06:51
(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are -- Misplaced modifer
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 299

Kudos [?]: 458 [5] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Pronoun Error: The 'them' has a singular antecedent, 'lesser cornstalk borer'

Faulty modification: measures are not 'widely distributed'. The lesser cornstalk is.

Change in Meaning: Here a noun phrase is introduced, 'lesser cornstalk borer control.'

The Answer: Clear antecedent, proper modification

Faulty Modification: It is not the control that is 'widely distributed.'

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 17

Re: the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 12:37
Hi ChrisLele

Can you please explain what is modifying what in this sentence. Measures is modifying the whole clause?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 06:08
Pavan, what is widely distributed? Its the lesser cornstalk borer.

(A) Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.- Only a singular antecedent is available, hence wrong
(B) Although widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are necessary only in the South. Here the highlighted portion says, the measures to control is highly distributed. This alters the intent. Its the Lesser Cornstalk borer that is highly distributed
(C) Although widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is necessary only in the South. Once again as B, this says lesser cornstalk borer control is widely distributed.
(D) Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are necessary only in the South.
(E) Although it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is necessary only in the South. - Same modifier issues.

Gonna make it this time

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 299

Kudos [?]: 458 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 08:50
Expert's post
@pavanpuneet,

In some of the incorrect answer choices there is faulty modification. In the correct answer, those errors in modification are omitted. For instance if we take answer choice (B), ...although widely distributed, the measures..., the measures, which comes directly after the comma, is being modified by the preceding phrase.

The correct answer (D) eliminates this error by making it clear in the subordinating clause that the borer is widely distributed, although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures... Unlike answer choice (B), 'measures' that comes after the comma is not being modified by anything in the preceding phrase. The reason is that preceding phrase already has a subject (the borer), that is clearly linked with 'widely distributed.'

Hope that helps remove any confusion :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 18

Re: the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 23:25
monir6000 wrote:

i pick D. in A, them has no clear referent. in B and C there is a fragment. in E, the referent of pronoun it is ambiguous.
correct me if i am wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 18

Re: the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 23:27
monir6000 wrote:

i pick D. there is a fragment in B and C. in A, the pronoun them has no clear referent. in E the referent of pronoun E is ambiguous. please correct me if i am wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 62

Re: the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 15:21
ChrisLele wrote:
@pavanpuneet,

In some of the incorrect answer choices there is faulty modification. In the correct answer, those errors in modification are omitted. For instance if we take answer choice (B), ...although widely distributed, the measures..., the measures, which comes directly after the comma, is being modified by the preceding phrase.

The correct answer (D) eliminates this error by making it clear in the subordinating clause that the borer is widely distributed, although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures... Unlike answer choice (B), 'measures' that comes after the comma is not being modified by anything in the preceding phrase. The reason is that preceding phrase already has a subject (the borer), that is clearly linked with 'widely distributed.'

Hope that helps remove any confusion :).

Thanks Chris, this helped clear up things for me. I understand why the correct answer is correct and why my answer is incorrect.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 03:47
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed,   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2014, 03:47