Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: HSG '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 02:49
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:42) correct 19% (00:48) wrong based on 124 sessions
Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there must be a basis for a cooperative government and agreed to compromise.
(A) disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there must be a basis
(B) disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis
(C) disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there had to be some basis
(D) had disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis
(E) had disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there were grounds
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 644 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Politicians Disagree [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 05:57
Expert's post
MonSama wrote:
Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there must be a basis for a cooperative government and agreed to compromise.
(A) disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there must be a basis
(B) disapproves of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis
(C) disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there had to be some basis
(D) had disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis
(E) had disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, they later conceded that there were grounds

The yellow shaded portion is a modifier and will modify the word, coming just after "comma". So since the subject of the first clause is "party", which is singular, the pronoun must be a singular "it" not plural "they". Eliminate A C D.
B has an issue of tense. In first clause, it uses present tense, but in the second clause it uses simple past. Its illogical.
D rectifies this mistake but using "had" to sequentially structure the events.
+1 D.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 09:13
though collective noun such as party is normally considered sigular, it can be considered plural if we focus on each individual. This is the grammar rule. This point means, on gmat , collective noun can go with sigular or plural verb.

The problem with E is that "there were" is a fact and so E is not logic. D is logic because "must" is a neccessity.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 09:18
D

Pronoun and tense error

singular pronoun 'it' should be used
two actions in the past are being discussed, so past perfect must be used.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 11:44
I agree that B in correct due to present tense, but in D- had disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis-- shouldn't a simple past be used here instead of past prefect, as later is making clear the sequence of events.

Kindly correct me if I am wrong
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 67

Re: Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 20:56
veenu08 wrote:
I agree that B in correct due to present tense, but in D- had disapproved of every aspect of the opponent's platform, it later conceded that there must be a basis-- shouldn't a simple past be used here instead of past prefect, as later is making clear the sequence of events.

HI
I ll be happy if my post helps!!
There are two events...
First one :A disapproval
Second: Conceding to a point
Both are in past. So we must use "past perfect" for the former and "Simple past for the "later"
So disapproval must use had and concede must use simple past.

Consider kudos If my post helps!!!

Archit
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 644 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the [#permalink] New post 25 May 2013, 03:42
Expert's post
MonSama wrote:

In A C E, the problem is the usage of "they".
In B, the usage of present tense doesn't gels well with the past tense. Since there are two events, hence "had" becomes necessary.
+1D.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

Re: Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the [#permalink] New post 25 May 2013, 04:52
veenu08 wrote:

You are not wrong. But D is correct because there is no better choice. If there were to be an option which uses a simple past and which rectifies the pronoun number error for party-it pair, we can choose that option.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 22

Re: Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the [#permalink] New post 25 May 2013, 12:46
veenu08 wrote:

Good point Veenu. The time is clearly indicated by the use of later. But disapproves is in present tense. So B goes away.
Option D is what we have to live with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

Re: Although the losing party disapproves of every aspect of the   [#permalink] 25 May 2013, 12:46