Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2005, 09:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.
(A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is
(B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is
(C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was
(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was
(E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC work schedule [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2005, 11:03
Dilshod wrote:
Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.
(A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is
(B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is
(C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was
(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was
(E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been

Close call between A and D.
But I would pick D because the sentence is indirectly quoting what the manager said - "it must be posted on the board so that both management and labour will know what everyone is assigned to do." When indirectly quoting what he or she said, time tense must agree with the rest of the sentence - hence the use of would, and was, not WILL and IS.

My 2 cents.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2005, 01:31
riteshgupta1 wrote:
No need of would have...

A is just fine.

Don't you think that tense in (A) should be in the past, after "said"?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2005, 03:03
D.
Between A and D, I choose D.

In A
1) "it" is ambiguous
2) "agreed" indicates this event happened in the past. Using "will" in the remaining part of the sentence indicates future. The manager agreed to the flexi work schedule provided they post the schedule and the mgmt got to know abt it. All in the past tense.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2005, 16:58
I'll pick A.

for D: isn't "is" more correct than past tense "was" ?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2005, 18:25
In addition to what others have said, we can validly narrow it down to A and D.

D is wrong because it is unncecesarily wordy. As shown below, in red,

he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was

Also, think about the person speaking, "the manager". most managers are affirmative when they agree or disagree to something so the use of must and will below reflects the tone of authority and certainity than does "would in D .

he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is

Suffice it to say managers give orders and A conforms to that principle more than D
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2005, 18:26
HIMALAYA wrote:
A should be ok. would in D is not required here.

Yes it is. In directly quoting what someone said, you don't need to worry about matching the two tenses, for example,

He said, "I will go with you."

However, the indirectly quoted version would be

He said that he would (not WILL) go with me (you or whoever he meant by 'you').

In the question above, what the manager said is the following

"it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do"

If this quote were to be incorporated into the middle of a sentence as a quote, verb tense would have to match with the sentence itself.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2005, 18:30
Folaa3 wrote:

he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was

Also, think about the person speaking, "the manager". most managers are affirmative when they agree or disagree to something so the use of must and will below reflects the tone of authority and certainity than does "would in D .

he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is

Suffice it to say managers give orders and A conforms to that principle more than D

WOULD in this case (D) is NOT used to refer to a situation that you can imagine happening (as in What would you do if you lost your job?), but it's a modal verb that is used to refer to future time from the point of view of the past as in

He said he would (not WILL) see his brother tomorrow.

Another example,

He said he would always love her (= He said "I will always love you").
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2005, 18:38
keirin79 wrote:
Folaa3 wrote:

WOULD in this case (D) is NOT used to refer to a situation that you can imagine happening (as in What would you do if you lost your job?), but it's a modal verb that is used to refer to future time from the point of view of the past as in

Another example,

Will is used to express certainity, would on the other is conditional /not 100% certain.
D IMO is grammatically correct same way A is also correct.
I think from a logical perspective, the affirmative tone commands more certainity so one would expect a manager to use the affirmative tone. Tha's why i think the answer should be A.

Please note that this is my way of picking a better choice out of 2 good answers.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2005, 19:56
Folaa3 wrote:
keirin79 wrote:
Folaa3 wrote:

Another example,

Will is used to express certainity, would on the other is conditional /not 100% certain.
I think from a logical perspective, the affirmative tone commands more certainity so one would expect a manager to use the affirmative tone. Tha's why i think the answer should be A.

Please note that this is my way of picking a better choice out of 2 good answers.

I totally agree that "will" is used to express certainity whereas "would" is conditional /not 100% certain. But that's not the issue here. The issue is "How are you going to quote something and rephrase it with your own words?"

The manager DID say that it must be posted so that everyone WILL Know. But the question here is not whether we should use WILL over WOULD, but rather we are forced to use WOULD over WILL because it is an indirect quote. I think I gave enough examples to illustrate this in my previous post.

He said he would see his brother tomorrow. - correct
He said he will see his brother tomorrow. - WRONG this is not a matter of certainty, but it is a technical issue.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 07:31
keirin79 wrote:
Folaa3 wrote:
keirin79 wrote:
Folaa3 wrote:

Another example,

I totally agree that "will" is used to express certainity whereas "would" is conditional /not 100% certain. But that's not the issue here. The issue is "How are you going to quote something and rephrase it with your own words?"

The manager DID say that it must be posted so that everyone WILL Know. But the question here is not whether we should use WILL over WOULD, but rather we are forced to use WOULD over WILL because it is an indirect quote. I think I gave enough examples to illustrate this in my previous post.

He said he would see his brother tomorrow. - correct
He said he will see his brother tomorrow. - WRONG this is not a matter of certainty, but it is a technical issue.

I got hammered following this direct-indirect sentences because this is what we were taught in English classes, but this concept does not stand a chance. Why? I tell you. Look at any question that has a sence of "order, advise, and request". Gmat wants you to put "THAT" or a ing participle with a direct object and rest the sentence follows the same tense. Examples

The court ordered that the victims be in line.

Now according to your explaianation,
The court ordered," The victims be in line".

Change it to indirect
The court ordered that The victims was in line

because the compartive and superlative form of BE is WAS and BEEN.

I will not be surprised if the answer is D because as I said earlier, I got killed 75% of the time folllowing this rule. I would rather get killed 25% of the time doing it the GMAT way.

Again, my response is not to criticize your fundamental. This fundamental was what I learnt in my school and I still like it but GMAT english is totally different from my point of view.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2005, 00:47
Unfortunately, I don't have OE. But OA is (A).
I don't agree with the OA either.
  [#permalink] 24 Jul 2005, 00:47