Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2006, 19:18
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:04) wrong based on 4 sessions
Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.
(A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is
(B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is
(C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was
(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was
(E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC1000 - Flexible work schedule [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 02:47
This post received
KUDOS
kripalkavi wrote:
Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.
(A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is
(B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is
(C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was
(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was
(E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been

A is the best one here. Ok I do agree that the tense is changed but sometimes it is acceptable to change the tense. I think this is stated in MGMAT SC.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
I think this is a classic case of non-OG-no-correct-answer problems. Each answer choice suffers from verb tense or no clear pronoun referent.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 1

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 15:48
This post received
KUDOS
Phew, that took me a while!

Betting on A.

(Edited typo)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [1] , given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: SC1000 - Flexible work schedule [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
kripalkavi wrote:

Sorry to chime in late here guys.

...both management and labor will know...

both X and Y + plural verb~
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
Matt,

I cannot follow your explanation here.

Can you please explain?
both X and Y + plural verb~ - the discussion in not about being a plural or a singular verb. But about past/present tense form of the verb?

can you please help here?
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2006, 19:28
too many "would"s and one "was" :shock:

Sounded awkard to me. Let's wait for Matt's comments :lol:

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2006, 21:27
tennis_ball wrote:
IMO, A has tense problem.

Exactly. The tense is changing from past to present. D maintains the tense (past) correctly.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 16:50
I guess A conveys information better than D does.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: SC1000 - Flexible work schedule [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 20:25
kripalkavi wrote:
uvs_mba wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:

A is the best one here. Ok I do agree that the tense is changed but sometimes it is acceptable to change the tense. I think this is stated in MGMAT SC.

when is the verb tense change ok?

Sorry KripalKavi for responding so late, just got back from the airport and I am dead :cry:

Umm, I just looked at the MGMAT book and its on page 45. It says that some sentences with more than one action requires you to switch verb tenses within a sentence.

Example in the book:
He is thin now because he spent the last six months on an intensive diet.

I thought it might apply here, but if I'll still put it in my error log.

What does Matt have to say? I woud like to get his insight too :wink:
VP
VP

Re: SC1000 - Flexible work schedule [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 21:27
uvs_mba wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
uvs_mba wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:

when is the verb tense change ok?

Sorry KripalKavi for responding so late, just got back from the airport and I am dead :cry:

Umm, I just looked at the MGMAT book and its on page 45. It says that some sentences with more than one action requires you to switch verb tenses within a sentence.

Example in the book:
He is thin now because he spent the last six months on an intensive diet.

I thought it might apply here, but if I'll still put it in my error log.

What does Matt have to say? I woud like to get his insight too :wink:

Hey, thats ok! Thank you for your insight. I guess its OA time. OA is A. But I still am not convinced. In the example that you provided the two events are separated in time, but in this question, both occur at the same time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: SC1000 - Flexible work schedule [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2006, 16:11
kripalkavi wrote:

A little correction:
Ok another catch why D is wrong Kripalkavi, I know I just re-read this whole thing. A uses "must" while D says "would have to be..... would know". The usage of would, could or should is used for uncertainty. We are changing the certain to uncertain and its really not required. Out of all the choices, considering idioms, verb tense, whether it is uncertain or not, etc. A is the best.

I hope it helps

Last edited by uvs_mba on 14 Oct 2006, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2006, 20:38
would here has nothing to do with subjunctive.

would is the past future use of "will".

In formal writing, when you "said" that something will, you use would.

I know in a lot of articles, the authors still use "will", but I doubt it is correct formally.

so anyway, one of the non-OG questions and it does not bother me.
VP
VP

Re: SC1000 - Flexible work schedule [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 19:42
uvs_mba wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:

A little correction:
Ok another catch why D is wrong Kripalkavi, I know I just re-read this whole thing. A uses "must" while D says "would have to be..... would know". The usage of would, could or should is used for uncertainty. We are changing the certain to uncertain and its really not required. Out of all the choices, considering idioms, verb tense, whether it is uncertain or not, etc. A is the best.

I hope it helps

I guess this makes more sense, but tenissball does have a point! Anyway, I think that on G-day i would pick D again!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Re: SC1000 - Flexible work schedule [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 15:36
two-three split : "he said that" is correct
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: SC1000 - Flexible work schedule [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2008, 01:24
The sentence is in simple past – unnecessary verb changes without qualified reasons should be discarded.
Sentence has pronoun referent and verb number issues.

(A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is [Hold it]

(B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is ["Knows" Verb number issue – eliminate it]

(C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was [[color=#0000BF]they has referent issue – eliminate it[/color]]

(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was [“would” is not affirmative – eliminate it]

(E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been [saying is not parallel – eliminate it]

Answer: A
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 2

Re: SC1000 - Flexible work schedule [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 10:41
"it" in A can refer to both "manager" and "schedule" so it is ambigous.
Thoughts on that?

And aside form that, I'm with D, because that is the way to report indirect speech.

Could anybody clarify?

Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: SC1000 - Flexible work schedule   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2010, 10:41