Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 14:02

Happy Thanksgiving:

Free Access to GMAT Club Tests until 11 AM PST on Fri 11/28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [2] , given: 29

Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (02:17) correct 29% (01:46) wrong based on 172 sessions
Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit growers since the early 1960’s, a regulation in force since 1960 has prohibited sale of fruit on which any TDX residue can be detected. That regulation is about to be replaced by one that allows sale of fruit on which trace amounts of TDX residue are detected. In fact, however, the change will not allow more TDX on fruit than was allowed in the 1960’s, because ______.

A. pre-1970 techniques for detecting TDX residue could detect it only when it was present on fruit in more than the trace amounts allowed by the new regulations

B. many more people today than in the 1960’s habitually purchase and eat fruit without making an effort to clean residues off the fruit

C. people today do not individually consume any more pieces of fruit, on average, than did the people in the 1960’s

D. at least a small fraction of the fruit sold each year since the early 1960’s has had on it greater levels of TDX than the regulation allows

E. the presence of TDX on fruit in greater than trace amounts has not been shown to cause any harm even to children who eat large amounts of fruit
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Re: Pesticide TDX [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 09:38
Option A seems the only plausible choice here.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 15

Re: Pesticide TDX [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 10:08
A for me. It explains the fact why the content of TDX would not increase.

-AD

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Pesticide TDX [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 05:12
oa please
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 12

Re: Pesticide TDX [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 05:48
I pick A,
please provide us with OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 6

Re: Pesticide TDX [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 05:52
A

Regulation is relaxed now but still the change will not allow more TDX on fruit than was allowed in the 1960’s ==> reason the detecting technique is better now

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 124 [1] , given: 50

Re: Pesticide TDX [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 17:04
This post received
KUDOS
Straight A for me. Looks like POE method would suffice for this question.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 166

Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 03:19
A

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 08:06
Clearly A
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 21:43
A as detecting techniques will fail if the TDX amount is varied from the earlier amounts.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 08:47
+1A
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 360 [0], given: 109

Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 19:49
+1A

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 21:24
+1 for A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 00:30
+1 for A.

OA ?

Kudos if any of my post helps you !!!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 5

Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 08:48
The answer I have chosen is A for this question:

From the word "because" that directly precedes the blank, you automatically know that this is an assumption question.

The conclusion is : [highlight]The change in regulation will not allow more TDX on fruit than was allowed in the 1960s[/highlight]

A. This answer choice makes perfect sense because one of explanations for TDX levels being the same for both regulations is that the technique or maybe technology was worse in 1960. This technique or technology in the 1960s may not have been able to detect very low levels of TDX, but the new technology can do that. Therefore, this answer fits and is the answer.

B. This answer choice does not explain why the TDX levels are similar.

C. This answer choice is irrelevant - we do not care about how much fruit people ate.

D. This answer choice seems to directly contradict one of the premises in the argument. If this is the case, this would in fact weaken the argument and not be an assumption.

E. We are not concerned about whether TDX causes harm or not. We are only concerned with why the levels of TDX are similar.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 136

Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 07:18
Hello Experts,
I am kind of confused while reviewing this question.

The Last Line says that the change will not allow more TDX on fruit than was allowed in the 1960's because...

now, Where does in the question, the author says that TDX was allowed.. Infact, it was never allowed. That is why there was a regulation that prohibits the sale of fruit.

Please explain.

Your help will be appreciated.

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 07:39
imhimanshu wrote:
Hello Experts,
I am kind of confused while reviewing this question.

The Last Line says that the change will not allow more TDX on fruit than was allowed in the 1960's because...

now, Where does in the question, the author says that TDX was allowed.. Infact, it was never allowed. That is why there was a regulation that prohibits the sale of fruit.

Please explain.

Your help will be appreciated.

They are talking about the residue that was allowed in the 1960's.

1960's - No sale of fruits on which residue is detected
Now - Trace amounts are acceptable
BUT..
These trace amount should not be more than the residual amount detected in the 1960's

Kudos if I helped :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 136

Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 09:02
Thanks igotthis for the reply.

However, can you please clarify this:

Argument says that:

Quote:
a regulation in force since 1960 has prohibited sale of fruit on which any TDX residue can be detected.

Isn't it mentioned that amount of TDX residue should be Zero?

Quote:
the change will not allow more TDX on fruit than was allowed in the 1960's because

This is how I interpreted the Argument:

1) You can't apply TDX because of regulation. If your fruits tested positive, you will not be allowed to sell.
2) Now you can apply TDX in limited amounts.
But
The amount of TDX cannot be more than that was allowed.

As per my analysis, if you are not allowed to apply TDX in 1960s.. then how can question stem says so..?

Where I'm going wrong. Please correct.

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 589

Kudos [?]: 2395 [1] , given: 33

Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Thanks igotthis for the reply.

However, can you please clarify this: Argument says that:
a regulation in force since 1960 has prohibited sale of fruit on which any TDX residue can be detected.
Isn't it mentioned that amount of TDX residue should be Zero?

the change will not allow more TDX on fruit than was allowed in the 1960's because

This is how I interpreted the Argument:
1) You can't apply TDX because of regulation. If your fruits tested positive, you will not be allowed to sell.
2) Now you can apply TDX in limited amounts.
But
The amount of TDX cannot be more than that was allowed.

As per my analysis, if you are not allowed to apply TDX in 1960s.. then how can question stem says so..?

Where I'm going wrong. Please correct.

Dear Himanshu,
I got your p.m. and I'm happy to respond. :-) I believe you are being a bit naive about the scientific measuring process. The physical world and its details do not stop existing at the limits of science's ability to measure. There are all kinds of things in the world that we know exist, or that we suspect probably exist, but they are beyond the current ability of science & technology to measure. There are other things, at the atomic and subatomic level, that cannot be measured, not because of the limits of technology, but because of the fundamental limits of matter and energy at that level --- that gets into Quantum Mechanics, which is well beyond the level of science you need to know for the GMAT. You do need to realize, though, that "what can be measured" and "what really is" are not necessarily identical.

In this argument, the sentence, "a regulation in force since 1960 has prohibited sale of fruit on which any TDX residue can be detected" implies "can be detected, according to whatever technology they had in the 1960's." Now, maybe in the 1960's, they could detect TDX down to the very last molecule, so they would know exactly how much was there and could detect even the smallest portion. Or, maybe their means of measurement were more limited --- they could detect TDX in quantities down to some small number (say, a milligram, or a microgram), and beyond that level, they simply couldn't detect the TDX. We can only guess --- the prompt passage gives us no way to decide how much they could measure in the 1960s.

The OA, choice (A), suggest that the latter interpretation was correct. In other words, they had very limited abilities to measure TDX in the 1960's --- say, they could measure down to 1 microgram, but not less than that. Then, in the 1970s, say, they could measure much more precisely, down to the 0.001 microgram (i.e. the nanogram), and the trace allowed is, say, up to 1 microgram. Well, in the 1960s, if there was just less than a microgram, then they couldn't measure or detect that amount, and the fruit with that amount would be passable, while if there were just less than a microgram in the 1970s, then the scientist could detect it, but it would now be an allowable level of trace material, and the fruit still would be passable.

My friend, I strongly recommend that you start reading Scientific American. I think you need to beef up your understanding of how the experimental sciences operate. Reading a couple articles a week from Scientific American will be a good workout for the science passages you encounter on the GMAT RC, and they will give you the general background you need to make sense of science arguments on the GMAT CR.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2013, 10:00