Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 23:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the restaurant company has recently added many new

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Your answer:

You may select 1 option
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Although the restaurant company has recently added many new [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 12:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (02:09) correct 26% (01:13) wrong based on 205 sessions
Although the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its sales at restaurants open for more than a year have declined.
A. the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its
B. the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales increased dramatically, its
C. many new restaurants have recently been opened across the country and its sales increased dramatically, the restaurant company’s
D. having recently added many new restaurants across the country and with its sales increasing dramatically, the restaurant company’s
E. recently adding many new restaurants across the country and having its sales increase dramatically, the restaurant company’s

Last edited by mendelay on 17 Sep 2009, 05:29, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: restaurant company [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 20:01
I have just one query.

I rejected the first three choices because of wrong modifier "its".

I thought that the modifier "its" can refer to either the company or the country, as this wrong placement was doubtful so I rejected "A".

Now can anyone pls explain that why my thinking was wrong? :( Can "its" refer to "country"??

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: restaurant company [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 05:32
I revised the question to include the underline.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: restaurant company [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 05:32
The subject is the restaurant company. The country cannot be mistaken as the subject.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: restaurant company [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 06:31
Hussain15 wrote:
I have just one query.

I thought that the modifier "its" can refer to either the company or the country, as this wrong placement was doubtful so I rejected "A".

Now can anyone pls explain that why my thinking was wrong? :( Can "its" refer to "country"??

I am still unable to find the answer of my query. :(

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: restaurant company [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 06:40
having is incorrect - D & E are out
B - is missing "have", which is required - out
C - has modifier error

A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: restaurant company [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 06:49
Please explain why have is necessary in this case.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: restaurant company [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 06:50
[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is A
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: restaurant company [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 07:15
“Have” is necessary in A & B in order to maintain parallelism; the sentence begins “the restaurant company has…”

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: restaurant company [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 07:17
mendelay wrote:
Please explain why have is necessary in this case.

We don’t need past tense in the second half of the underlined portion as sales have increased up until this point.

Sales is plural, so "have" usage is right.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: restaurant company [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 09:35
mendelay wrote:
Although the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its sales at restaurants open for more than a year have declined.
A. the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its
B. the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales increased dramatically, its
C. many new restaurants have recently been opened across the country and its sales increased dramatically, the restaurant company’s
D. having recently added many new restaurants across the country and with its sales increasing dramatically, the restaurant company’s
E. recently adding many new restaurants across the country and having its sales increase dramatically, the restaurant company’s

A - no problem in A. "its" refers to "the restaurant company"
B - we need present perfect
C - Passive voice. "its" refers to restaurants, but should refer to "the restaurant company"
D - Awkward.
E - We need present perfect and not present continuous.

A wins

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 5

Re: restaurant company [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 10:02
This post received
KUDOS
mendelay wrote:
Clear and precise
'Sales have increased' sounds better than 'Sales increased'
Changes the meaning. Sounds as if restaurant company has no relation with newly opened restaurants
Modifier issue - seems to modify 'Company's sales'
Modifier issue - seems to modify 'Company's sales'

I was confused by 'its' but PoE helped to choose 'A'

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 122 [2] , given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: restaurant company [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2011, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
Hussain15 wrote:
I have just one query.

well, actually I have chosen a wrong answer too ;)) but found a good explanation why "its" can not refer to "country". it is because country is an object of the preposition "across" in this sentence.
my bad that I have not paid attention to that preposition (

hope I could help u

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: restaurant company [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 06:14
mendelay wrote:

A wins. C,D and E are out because the subject is "restaurant company" and we want to maintain an active voice. We need a perfect tense (have) to show demarcation in time. (i.e. after adding many new restaurants, the sales have increased)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 15

Re: Although the restaurant company has recently added many new [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 08:00
I had initially rejected A to search for an alternate option; was hoping to find a sentence without icky 'its'. But C, D and E are plain wrong for using wrong pronouns to replace possessives.

Between B and A, A wins.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Although the restaurant company has recently added many new [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 04:39
A it is.......
most clear and it and its refer to company
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 18

Re: Although the restaurant company has recently added many new [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 21:05
mendelay wrote:

i choose A. there is a verd-tense error in B. all verbs are in present tense except the verb increase, which is incorrect. in C, the intended meaning is distorted. it means that many restaurants of different company have been opened. D is out for parallelism. E is out for modifier error. correct me if i am wrong or my process of elimination is wrong.

regards. please give me some kudos...... :-D

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 18

Re: Although the restaurant company has recently added many new [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
mendelay wrote:

i choose A. there is a verd-tense error in B. all verbs are in present tense except the verb increase, which is incorrect. in C, the intended meaning is distorted. it means that many restaurants of different company have been opened. D is out for parallelism. E is out for modifier error. correct me if i am wrong or my process of elimination is wrong.

regards. please give me some kudos...... :-D

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although the restaurant company has recently added many new [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 22:33
This post received
KUDOS
A. CORRECT

B. INCORRECT: inconsistent verb tense on "its sales increased dramatically". It would have been correct if it's "its sales have increased dramatically"

C. INCORRECT: ambiguous pronoun "its sales"

D. INCORRECT: "the restaurant company’s sales" cannot be the subject of "having recently added many new restaurants across the country" at preceding clause

E. INCORRECT: "the restaurant company’s sales" cannot be the subject of "recently adding many new restaurants across the country" at preceding clause
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Although the restaurant company has recently added many new [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 00:23
I must say, this question is quite an eye opener to me. Previously I used to think that "sales" is usually used as singular only.
Re: Although the restaurant company has recently added many new   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2012, 00:23