Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the school board members agree there are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 30

Although the school board members agree there are [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 23:37
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (01:33) correct 46% (00:42) wrong based on 118 sessions
Although the school board members agree there are substantial inefficiencies in the school budget and that the principal and other administrators should be paid less, it is difficult to garner enough interest and support in the community to implement the necessary changes.

A. Although the school board members agree

B. However much the school board members may agree that

C. Despite the school board members’ agreement about the fact that

D. Even though the school board members may agree

E. There is agreement among the school board members that
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDOS is always a good way to thank anyone.
It encourages someone to post more questions and also answers.

KUDOS Please if My post helps you in anyway. Your Kudos keep me alive

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [2] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Although the school board members agree [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 00:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
There is a substantial difference in meaning between' agree' and 'may agree'. Agree is sent per cent whereas may agree is not cent per cent. There is a significant shift of meaning from A to B and D. Hence IMO, B and D are infidel and incorrect. C is meandering and wordy. E is a run-on. A is the best.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1376 [1] , given: 122

Re: Although the school board members agree [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 23:50
This post received
KUDOS
thelosthippie wrote:
Although the school board members agree there are substantial inefficiencies in the school budget and that the principal and other administrators should be paid less, it is difficult to garner enough interest and support in the community to implement the necessary changes.

IMO, B is correct.

First, the structure should be parallel: agree that...............and that..........................
Down to B, C, E
B is correct because: The usage of "much" is correct, it does not mean how many members agree, but means how much members agree (much vs little)

C and E are wrong because they change meaning. The intended meaning here is "although......., it is difficult........"

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2615 [0], given: 696

Re: Although the school board members agree [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 03:07
Expert's post
I have a lot of concern about this question because in formal english is difficult to have a word such as HOWEVER in the beginning of a sentence. Moreover, the same is always after a full stop and followed by a comma.

Quote:
If ‘however’ is used to begin a sentence, it must be followed by a comma, and what
appears after the comma must be a complete sentence.

However, there was no need to repeat the data entry.

Keep the use of sentences beginning with ‘however’ to a minimum. Overuse makes
‘however’ look more important than the content of the sentence. It may also result in
sentence fragments.

FRAGMENT — However, life in Ancient Egypt three thousand years ago.

REVISED — However, life in Ancient Egypt three thousand years agowas much more sophisticated.

A sentence beginning with ‘however,’ is usually closely related to the sentence which
precedes it. In most cases, it is more appropriate to use ‘however’ to form a
compound sentence.

http://www.sonoma.edu/users/f/farahman/ ... owever.pdf

I have never see such construction on gmat

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 59

Re: Although the school board members agree [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 04:28
Couldn't agree any less with Carcass.
Though between the given choices, B and C are close. C distorts meaning, thus B is the best, but I am not convinced with the use of However

Also Daagh, the first D/C starting with Although - will it not required "that" - I picked B and C considering this, though of course there are other errors in other choices.

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3672 [0], given: 185

Re: Although the school board members agree [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 23:14
Expert's post
Received a PM about this question. This question is based on OG VR2 Question #3. So please attempt the official question and understand the correct and incorrect choices in the official question. Once you have understood the essence of the official question, you may not worry about this one. :)

Thanks,

Payal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Although the school board members agree [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 23:20
Expert's post
Sdas
I agree with you, It would be ideally parallel to have another that after the DC. But none of the good choices has it. Those that have that are problematic both in usage and grammar. Something is odd here . Verita’s examples seem to be in bind and frustrating.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 5

Re: Although the school board members agree [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 06:21
Expert's post
Responding to a PM on this question. The use of 'however' at the beginning of the sentence is an uncommon but acceptable use of however. In English, sentences can begin with 'however' + ',' to transition from one sentence to another: "I love riding my bike to work. However, I can't ride today because it is raining." The word 'however' in the example above gives the reader an indication that the 2nd sentence will work in opposition to the 1st sentence. Because this use case for 'however' shows a distinction between an earlier and later part, we don't see however used this way at the beginning of a sentence on the GMAT.

The use of 'however' in this GMAT question, however, [I couldn't help but stick this however in my post to show a comparison between what I said earlier and what I'm about to say] is to show the relative unimportance of magnitude. It's not really 'however' but rather 'however much'. You could state this phrase, 'however much', another way by saying 'regardless of how much': "Regardless of how much the school board members may agree that there are substantial inefficiencies in..." It's a use case that we don't see very often, but it is an appropriate use of however at the beginning of a sentence on the GMAT.

Hope that helps...

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although the school board members agree [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 10:28
Expert's post
egmat wrote:
Received a PM about this question. This question is based on OG VR2 Question #3. So please attempt the official question and understand the correct and incorrect choices in the official question. Once you have understood the essence of the official question, you may not worry about this one. :)

Thanks,

Payal

Hi Payal,
Answer to this qs should be B.
And OG VR2 Question #3- OA :A

'However much' implies 'No matter how much'...Let me know if my understanding and explanation are correct.

Appreciate your feedback.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although the school board members agree [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 22:09
thelosthippie wrote:

Hi all,

in my opinion OPTION B is the best of all...

==>firstly for parallelism THAT is MUST..
therefore option A and D are OUT.
E==> RUN ON
C==>changes the meaning.
AND we cannot say that option B is a TYPO.....(MAY is not a typo)...the use of MUCH in OPTION B clearly indicates....MAY is required...so i will say B is the BEST OF LOT.(may makes it noun countable)

hope it helps.

SKM

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 384

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although the school board members agree [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 22:49

The parallelism removes the answer choices A, D
C, E change the meaning of the sentence,

The only answer choice left over is B, hence the answer cannot be anything but B
We need to find the best option of the provided on the GMAT not the correct sentence :twisted:

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although the school board members agree [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 08:50
Expert's post
debayan222 wrote:
egmat wrote:

Thanks,

Payal

Hi Payal,
Answer to this qs should be B.
And OG VR2 Question #3- OA :A

'However much' implies 'No matter how much'...Let me know if my understanding and explanation are correct.

Appreciate your feedback.

Hey Payal,
Can you please confirm my answer to your question and let me know whether the above explanation is correct..?

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Re: Although the school board members agree   [#permalink] 13 May 2013, 08:50