Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 08:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 44

Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 that [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 02:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

43% (01:50) correct 57% (00:52) wrong based on 72 sessions
Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 that Blacks could not be excluded outright from jury service, nearly a century of case-by-case adjudication has been necessary to develop and enforce the principle that all juries must be drawn from “a fair cross section of the community.”

(A) has been necessary to develop and enforce the principle that all juries must be
(B) was necessary for developing and enforcing the principle of all juries being
(C) was to be necessary in developing and enforcing the principle of all juries to be
(D) is necessary to develop and enforce the principle that all juries must be
(E) will be necessary for developing and enforcing the principle of all juries being
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

MGMAT CAT MATH mgmat-cat-math-144609.html
MGMAT SC SUMMARY: mgmat-sc-summary-144610.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 03:49
This post received
KUDOS
Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 that Blacks could not be excluded outright from jury service, nearly a century of case-by-case adjudication has been necessary to develop and enforce the principle that all juries must be drawn from “a fair cross section of the community.”

(A) has been necessary to develop and enforce the principle that all juries must be
Correct
(B) was necessary for developing and enforcing the principle of all juries being
" to develop and enforce" is better
(C) was to be necessary in developing and enforcing the principle of all juries to be
Awkward
Change the meaning : like a prediction
(E) will be necessary for developing and enforcing the principle of all juries being
Change the meaning of the sentence

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 10:36
Do we need the 'must' in option A?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 22:22
khaadu wrote:
Do we need the 'must' in option A?

No. The meaning of (A) indicates that this period of time has happened...

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 46

Re: Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 22:23
Please explain why option B is wrong, is it because wrong usage of "being"?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 7

Re: Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 21:29
My Approach -->
Since the sentence can take multiple tense form depending on what it means so i did not rely on that.
Principle must be followed by that

NOw in A and D ,
NEarly a century of cases indicates present continous so A.

PLEase correct me if i am wrong.

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 26

Re: Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 23:20
i guess nearly a century of ..... give hints to use "has been"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Re: Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 04:20
Can someone please explain why option D is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 18

Re: Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 20:51
monir6000 wrote:

i was stuck between A and D. finally picked A. the intended meaning of the sentence is that court ruled in 1880 that Black could not be excluded outright from Jury service. the second represents a flow of time-line by stating "century of case-by-case adjudication". So D is out. correct me if i am wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Re: Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2012, 20:51