Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although there has been great scientific debate for decades

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 01:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Although there has been great scientific debate for decades over global warming, most scientists now agree that human activity is causing the Earth’s temperature to rise. Though predictions vary, many global warming experts believe that average global temperatures will rise between three and eight degrees Fahrenheit during the next century. Such an increase would cause an alarming rise in sea levels, displacing millions of people by destroying major population centers along the world’s coastlines.

Which of the following is an assumption in support of the argument’s conclusion?

(A) New technological developments in the next century will not divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities.
(B) Individuals will not become more aware of the steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.
(C) Rising sea levels similarly affect all coastal population centers.
(D) Some global warming experts predict a greater than eight degree Fahrenheit increase in global temperatures during the next century.
(E) Human activity is the sole cause of increasing global temperatures.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Zumit CR 010 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 09:34
dancinggeometry wrote:
Although there has been great scientific debate for decades over global warming, most scientists now agree that human activity is causing the Earth’s temperature to rise. Though predictions vary, many global warming experts believe that average global temperatures will rise between three and eight degrees Fahrenheit during the next century. Such an increase would cause an alarming rise in sea levels, displacing millions of people by destroying major population centers along the world’s coastlines.

Which of the following is an assumption in support of the argument’s conclusion?

(A) New technological developments in the next century will not divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities.
(B) Individuals will not become more aware of the steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.
(D) Some global warming experts predict a greater than eight degree Fahrenheit increase in global temperatures during the next century.

Cause and effect

Alarming rise in SLS -> displacement of millions across coast lines

A is a good assumption.

Apply negation test. New technological developments in the next century will divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities. If they divert rise in sea levels, no displacement and destruction will occur. All is well. Conc falls apart.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Zumit CR 010 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 12:44
dancinggeometry wrote:

Between A and E, I first went to E. To me, A was tempting since by applying the negation test, it works as an assumption. However, I tried to get the argument and the premise, and the conclusion. I thought the conculsion is human activity caused to increase the sea level and the assumption should be something on human activity. Any better understanding on the question??? Thx.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Zumit CR 010 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 13:02
Richardson wrote:
dancinggeometry wrote:

Between A and E, I first went to E. To me, A was tempting since by applying the negation test, it works as an assumption. However, I tried to get the argument and the premise, and the conclusion. I thought the conculsion is human activity caused to increase the sea level and the assumption should be something on human activity. Any better understanding on the question??? Thx.

I got E as well. the conclusion is that global warming is caused by human activity. Our assumption must address this causal relationship, and so E addresses this relationship by pointing out that there is no any other cause for the same effect.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Zumit CR 010 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 15:25
tarek99 wrote:
Richardson wrote:
dancinggeometry wrote:

I got E as well. the conclusion is that global warming is caused by human activity. Our assumption must address this causal relationship, and so E addresses this relationship by pointing out that there is no any other cause for the same effect.

First of all sole cause is an extreme word and the stem says most scientists believe that Human activity is responsible and NOT ALL believe.

Secondly, HA -> Temp to rise -> sea levels to rise -> cause destruction in CC,

Lets say E is the correct assumption & do negation .

Human activity is NOT the sole cause of increasing global temperatures means there is some thing else. From there we dont know if those causes are bad enough to cause temp and sea levels to rise and cause destruction in CC.

I will still stick to A
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Zumit CR 010 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 15:48
IMO A..

Here the conclusion is : Such an increase would cause an alarming rise in sea levels, displacing millions of people by destroying major population centers along the world’s coastlines.

Premises : Global warming is happening.. and it will raise the sea level etc

Only A is an assumption, including which with the premises , can lead to the conclusion..E is redarging the premises and not the conclusion.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Zumit CR 010 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 15:54
icandy,

let's do negation on option A:

New technological developments in the next century WILL divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities--->is this even physically possible???? I don't find this a realistic assumption to begin with. If it is correct, then the author must be high on cock or something...lol

Even if you want to make some sense out of it, it doesn't address the causal relationship between human activity and rise in temperature. So even if such an assumption in option A is realistic, it's addressing the rising sea level, which is an effect of rising temperature. you want to address the relationship between human activity and rising temperature. So i still think E should be the answer. This is interesting...what's the OA?
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Zumit CR 010 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 16:28
tarek99 wrote:
icandy,

New technological developments in the next century WILL divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities--->is this even physically possible???? I don't find this a realistic assumption to begin with. If it is correct, then the author must be high on cock or something...lol

Even if you want to make some sense out of it, it doesn't address the causal relationship between human activity and rise in temperature. So even if such an assumption in option A is realistic, it's addressing the rising sea level, which is an effect of rising temperature. you want to address the relationship between human activity and rising temperature. So i still think E should be the answer. This is interesting...what's the OA?

The implicit thing about all the GMAT Answer choices is "All answer choices are assumed to be true" As absurd it may sound, divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities, it has to be assumed that such thing is possible. You stopped half way through your negation on A.

As I said before, the cause and effect are rise in sea levels , destruction of CC

NOT

Human activity & destruction of CC.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Zumit CR 010 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 16:46
icandy wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
icandy,

The implicit thing about all the GMAT Answer choices is "All answer choices are assumed to be true" As absurd it may sound, divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities, it has to be assumed that such thing is possible. You stopped half way through your negation on A.

As I said before, the cause and effect are rise in sea levels , destruction of CC

NOT

Human activity & destruction of CC.

hmmm....i see. I guess you are right about option A. I'm convinced. So i will go for option A. What's the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Zumit CR 010 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 17:25
I will go for A as well.
The negation method really works here.

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 1

Re: Zumit CR 010 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 05:47
dancinggeometry wrote:

IMO A)

If we negate A) which means technological advances will happen then argument that millions of people will be displaced becomes ineffective.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Zumit CR 010 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 08:03
dancinggeometry wrote:

(A) New technological developments in the next century will not divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities. -> THe best clearly says there are no advncement to prevent sea water to enter coastal lines.If this were negated then people in coastal lines will not be displaced .Concl is false hence IMO answer
(B) Individuals will not become more aware of the steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases. -> this is OOS even if people become aware then what ????
(C) Rising sea levels similarly affect all coastal population centers. -> this is not an issue even if itsnegated concl is not affected
(D) Some global warming experts predict a greater than eight degree Fahrenheit increase in global temperatures during the next century. -> This does not affect concl
(E) Human activity is the sole cause of increasing global temperatures. -> This is OOS

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Zumit CR 010 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 08:12
GMAT WORLD is different from REAL world ,anything said in the argument is possible .that ways it goes ....
again the main concl of the argument is raise of sea levels leading to population displacement and not human activities leading to global warming.Most importantly author says most scientists believe and not he believes !!!thats ,makes a difference .I ll stick to A option :-D

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Re: Zumit CR 010   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2008, 08:12