Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although there has been great scientific debate for decades

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2012, 23:34
E cannot be the OA, as in this argument causes of global warming are not the prime point of discussion,the point is displacement of humans due to rising sea levels,that will occur if no technology would be in place to counteract the rising sea levels.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 21:23
A
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 4

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 10:35
At first I chose C because if all the coastlines are affected the same then it will cause more people to be affected. However it doesn't need all coastlines to be affected the same to still get the result of affecting millions.

Answer choice A is correct because it strengthens the conclusion that there will be no way to thwart the rising sea levels. It defends the conclusion.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 09:38
Between A and B but clearly A cause there is no connections between people's awarenes and see level
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V36
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 12:49
A - because even when the cause occur (rise in sea level) the result will not occur (major coastal cities will not be destroyed).

Not B - because 1. Green house gases may not be the only reason of global warming. 2. What if people who predicted that global temperature will rise by 8 degree, factored in the effects of human effort to reduce the emission of GHG..

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 06:03
good prob. I narrowed down to A and C. Then marked C. Later realized, should be A beacause on negation A destroys the arg stronger than C does.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 00:15
sh00nya wrote:
Although there has been great scientific debate for decades over global warming, most scientists now agree that human activity is causing the Earth’s temperature to rise. Though predictions vary, many global warming experts believe that average global temperatures will rise between three and eight degrees Fahrenheit during the next century. Such an increase would cause an alarming rise in sea levels, displacing millions of people by destroying major population centers along the world’s coastlines.

Which of the following is an assumption in support of the argument’s conclusion?

A. New technological developments in the next century will not divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities.
B. Individuals will not become more aware of the steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.

Negating B, which states that "Individuals will BECOME more aware of steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases". Whether this statement RIGHT or WRONG will not affect toe the validity of the argument. Therefore. B is out. This is a kind of trap one.

Choice A is brighter, which states that "New technological developments in the next century will DIVERT rising seas from the world's coastal lines" => fight against the argument => this is the correct one.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 6

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 03:14
Assumptions should support the main conclusion (by strengthening or defending). Option A does this by ruling out a technological possibility that can weaken the argument.

In contrast, negating option A rips the argument to tatters, since there will be no flooding of coastline dwellings if the new technology were to come into effect.

Cheers.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 03:11
Passage talks about the effect of global warming on the coastlines. If the current rate of global warming continues, the sea levels will raise thereby forcing people to move inland.

A. New technological developments in the next century will not divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities. - Correctly links the rising sea level and measure that would need to be taken by the humans to avoid it - Correct
B. Individuals will not become more aware of the steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases. - No mention of emission of green house gases - Irrelevant
C. Rising sea levels similarly affect all coastal population centers. - Already mentioned in the passage - Incorrect
D. Some global warming experts predict a greater than eight degree Fahrenheit increase in global temperatures during the next century. - Irrelevant
E. Human activity is the sole cause of increasing global temperatures. - Sources of global warming is not relevent in the present context
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 07:41
why not c? conclusion is the last sentence right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 6

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 01:12
Straight A.

If new technologies to check rise of sea levels were developed, then the prediction/conclusion would fall flat.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 317

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 22:03
Hi there,

Can any expert pour in his/her thoughts on how to spot on conclusion in the stimulus like this.

I spotted conclusion to be "human activity is causing the Earth’s temperature to rise."

However, per the discussion and OA/OE, the conclusion is different.

Plz advise !

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2013, 22:03