Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although there has been great scientific debate for decades

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [2] , given: 11

Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 01:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

68% (02:04) correct 32% (01:22) wrong based on 176 sessions
Although there has been great scientific debate for decades over global warming, most scientists now agree that human activity is causing the Earth’s temperature to rise. Though predictions vary, many global warming experts believe that average global temperatures will rise between three and eight degrees Fahrenheit during the next century. Such an increase would cause an alarming rise in sea levels, displacing millions of people by destroying major population centers along the world’s coastlines.

Which of the following is an assumption in support of the argument’s conclusion?

A. New technological developments in the next century will not divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities.
B. Individuals will not become more aware of the steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.
C. Rising sea levels similarly affect all coastal population centers.
D. Some global warming experts predict a greater than eight degree Fahrenheit increase in global temperatures during the next century.
E. Human activity is the sole cause of increasing global temperatures.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA - A

Last edited by sh00nya on 14 Apr 2010, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Global Warming [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 02:53
sh00nya wrote:
Although there has been great scientific debate for decades over global warming, most scientists now agree that human activity is causing the Earth’s temperature to rise. Though predictions vary, many global warming experts believe that average global temperatures will rise between three and eight degrees Fahrenheit during the next century. Such an increase would cause an alarming rise in sea levels, displacing millions of people by destroying major population centers along the world’s coastlines.

Which of the following is an assumption in support of the argument’s conclusion?

A. New technological developments in the next century will not divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities.--- I think this is the assumption on which conclusion ( i.e the coastlines cities will be destroyed due to global warming), so now we are assuming that tech development will not help in diverting seas from the coastal cities, even if the temp rises

B. Individuals will not become more aware of the steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases. -- PAssage never mentions anything about tge green house gases

C. Rising sea levels similarly affect all coastal population centers. -- It doesnt matters whether it affects similarly or not, the cities will still be destroyed.

D. Some global warming experts predict a greater than eight degree Fahrenheit increase in global temperatures during the next century. -- Ok, but how does that matters, cities will be destroyed due to rising sea levels

E. Human activity is the sole cause of increasing global temperatures.-- Even if human activities are not teh sole cause, then also cities will be destroyed but this time may be due to some other reason

Whats the OA ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Re: CR-Global Warming [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 03:12
Edited the post for OA

You are correct

The argument concludes that rising sea levels caused by global warming will destroy major coastal population centers and displace millions of people. Any assumption in support of this conclusion would have to corroborate that these events will definitively take place.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: CR-Global Warming [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 11:10
I thought that A is out of scope. In assumption questions we should use just given info, isn't it?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: CR-Global Warming [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 13:40
fruit wrote:
I thought that A is out of scope. In assumption questions we should use just given info, isn't it?

Yes, you should only use information given in the passage. But, the assumption given in the answer choice is the information additional to what has already been given in the passage. And you have to use this external information as an assumption to draw the conclusion.

I also made the mistake in this question. I chose B in the first place. It cannot be B since it does not say in the passage that Green House Gases are the main contributors to the temperature rise. I used external information and the answer I got was wrong.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 06:39
I think (A) is correct.

Because conclusion is rise in temperature > rise in sea level > destroy coastal line cities. If A is not an assumption and if negated, it means new technology can save the coastal line cities in the next century.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 08:31
This sentence I saw A is the assumption, but it is not strong enough comparably with other questions.

I also confuse with B, but after negate. In (B), when negate, meaning that the awareness of people did not make the consequence become less serious.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 47

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 08:37
Hey,

Option B is out of scope. Here they don't talk about the emission of green house gases.

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 08:53
Nope. I don't think B out of scope. In assumption, we should not consider answer choice out of scope. Do you feel A relate to the emission of oil? No, it is not related but it is the NECESSARY info.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 47

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 09:01
I think the argument revolves around the effect of global warming. It talks more about the impact of global warming and the consequences. So we must restrict our scope within that frame.

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 18:10
How you can determine which is out of scope, between A and B. These two choices are quite relevant, although I agree that A is the right choice. B talk about the greenhouse gases, this is the consequence of globalwarming, right? I definitely confirmed this is not out of scope.

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 23:56
+1 for A.

An Assumption must be closely tied to the conclusion. According to the argument :
Premise:Temp will rise between 3-8 degrees.
Conclusion: Coastal population will have to be displaced.

A bridges the gap between Premise and Conclusion by acting as defender of the conclusion.

Crick
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 20:20
A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 07:26
tuanquang269 wrote:
How you can determine which is out of scope, between A and B. These two choices are quite relevant, although I agree that A is the right choice. B talk about the greenhouse gases, this is the consequence of globalwarming, right? I definitely confirmed this is not out of scope.

B introduces greenhouse gases into the picture. They are not mentioned in the argument. In an assumption question, we are not required to bring in outside knowledge (the relation between greenhouse gases and global warming). That is why B is out of scope.
Please correct me if I am mistaken.
Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 30

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 16:03
+1 for A as it weakens the argument by negation
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 19:51
a
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 21:31
i'm left only with A, after selecting out all the other options.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 4

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 22:01
A when negated will totally disprove the conclusion.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.44
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 22:08
Conclusion: rising temperatures will cause rise in sea levels, displacing millions of people
A - Defender. When negated, ie, If there were technological developments that would prevent all the said catastrophic effects, then conclusion falls apart.
B - Irrelevant
C - Irrelevant to conclusion
D - Irrelevant
E - strong wording, irrelevant
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 03:35
Can anyone justify why not E?

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2011, 03:35